FerrariChat.com vs. AOL: Please Help!!! | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com vs. AOL: Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    AOL is filtering/blocking emails from FerrariChat.com.

This includes the registration activations that are required to be a user on FerrariChat.com. I'm about ready to disallow any AOL emails on FerrariChat.com.

Maybe AOL users can prevent this by contacting AOL or otherwise helping with a solution.

FerrariChat.com only sends emails out when...

1) You register to verify you're using a valid address. You must activate your account from the email we send you.

2) If you use thread or PM notification you'll get an email (not very many users do and it's not a default).

3) As long as you haven't disallowed (from your profile) the ability for admins to send you an email, you will receive an email once a month for our newsletter and once a month from our title sponsor (when we have one).

I don't know how many people I've privately emailed about one thing or another and maybe you never received it because I have a ferrarichat.com email address.

Are they all just going to a spam or another special folder or are they all really being blocked?

I know AOL is just trying to provide a wanted anti-spam service to users, but the FerrariChat.com emails aren't spam. It may just seem like that to AOL because we have maybe 500-750 AOL users and imagine all the AOL emails generated from FC.

Please help if you can, figure out how we can contact AOL and get this resolved. If you find anything out, please let us know in this thread.

Thanks,
    rob

2. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I've had a PM get thru just fine to my AOL account...

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I'm not on AOL but I will ask a guy I work with on thurs. He will know.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    One particular aspect which gets domains on blacklists are the mail servers themselves. If for some reason the mail server - which might not be to your best knowledge Rob - is unpatched and can be used for relaying spam, then the domain will be picked up on a black list and thus... be blocked out entirely.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm on AOL but have all my FerrariChat stuff go to my Yahoo! account since there was conflict between FerrariChat.com software and AOL in the past... Rob, can you just call Steve Case and mention Jim's name...? :D

On AOL, i can be reached at [email protected] & [email protected] by the way ... :)

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All you have to do is put "[email protected]" into your address book and AOL will let it through as email from "Someone you know"

DL

7. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    My yahoo.co.uk just started putting f-chat emails to the bulk mail folder.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That won't help for the majority of the pain though as new users won't have me in their address book.

I think the best is finding an email or number at AOL that all the users can call and maybe they can unlist us.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I did start putting my "rlay" address in the From address instead of "nobody", but that hasn't helped.

10. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rob, I use aol and I second Darth's input. Maybe I'm missing something, but maybe somewhere in the process and directions of registering you could mention that aol users must add your email to their address book to prevent the spamblockers from picking it up.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Oh, OK, now I see. If I could put some text by the email field at registration maybe that would help some of my pain.

I would be nice if they could just flip a switch at AOL though.

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Rob,
    I don't see the issue. I have AOL, registered on old and new software, recieve all your monthly updates, and plenty of email notices on IM's.

13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Same here.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's just some AOL users then. I wish I could figure out which ones. Maybe it's a setting within AOL? Is there something like that?

30 AOL users have registered in past 2 days, only 4 have received the email and activated.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the new 9.0 has issues with blocking everything. i am willing to bet a majority of the new users are using the " latest and greatest". i hate aol and will not allow them on any of my systems. they have BUILT IN SPYWARE that cannot be removed. anyway the last contact number i have Rob is 877 742 5148, if that helps. michael

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I use 9.0 and have no problems. Possibly they are using an older version.

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I use AOL 8.0 now and used 7.0 on the old software for a long time.

Rob, I think it is a setting somewhere in the setup of AOL. Maybe a Spam Blocker or filter that some people set a certain way.

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, try me again. I just added you to my address book.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just sent you an email through the system.

20. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I used to work for AOL if you want 2 months of your bills for free, PM me and I will tell you what to do. :)

21. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    AOL has a setting to adjust how to block incoming mail.

You can block all non-AOL mail
    You can block all mail not added to an approved incoming mail list

Some people get so much junk that they set it to block all non-AOL mail which includes Fchat and every other domain other than AOL.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i get your emails just fine. don't have any problems.
    thx for updating my user status.

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I tried using the AOL filters, but quickly went back to allowing all e-mails INTO my mail box. BTW I get more SPAM from AOL accounts than from non-AOL accounts so blocking non-AOL emails would increase the SPAM to signal ratio.

I get rid of SPAM by mass deletion, making a visual pass over my mail box and deleting (without reading/opening) all e-mails that look like spam addresses (e.g. have gone through an anonomizer == all gargled up).) For me this works better than the filter, because occasionally, there is a useful e-mail lurking in the sea of SPAM.

I get about 50 SPAMs a day and less than 1 useful e-mail at home, at work I get closer to 150 SPAMs a day and about dozens of usefulls.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think here's what I'm going to do...

1) Add text to the registration process warning all AOL users to add '[email protected]' to their address book before submitting the registration.

2) If that doesn't work, then I'm going to block all new AOL accounts, I don't think I will impact current AOL accounts.

It's been an all around bad situation the past 3 months and actually on the old board too. AOL users register and they wonder why they "can't see images or post messages." I then have to go in for each one of them and manually activate their account. Many never email me, their account just remains in non-activated status. They think it's FC's fault and that's not good. We have 477 AOL users on FC, 99 have never activated. I've manually activated about 150 and deleted about 50 from November. So looks like about 60-70% aren't getting the emails. That 30-40% were probably older users and those I corresponded with previously.

Hopefully the above actions will put us in a better situation.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, maybe instead of banning AOL users, you ask them to send YOU an email for part of the registration process, then you simply reply?