Attention all Garage Queens, 355Spider 102,000 Miles | FerrariChat

Attention all Garage Queens, 355Spider 102,000 Miles

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cavallino Motors, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Okay, I can not keep it from you any longer:

I just bought a 1998 Ferrari 355 Spider with 102,000 Miles on the clock.

This in itself is amazing but better:

The owner is a late 80 year old man
    The car still has the ORIGINAL clutch
    The car still has the ORIGINAL brakes.

It runs and drives excellent. Has the usualy rockchips but even those are not that many. Has some scratches on the rear bumper, inclusing a little hole from backing into a pole, but wheels for example are in great shape. Some wear on the seats. The dash is starting to show shrinkage but can be stopped if it is properly maintained from now on.

The 102,000 Miles are obviously highway miles. One owner.

Anybody interested let me know. The car is black on tan interior. Books and tools are with the car of course. Service receipts I should get in a few days. The service book has the 30K and the 60K stamped. 60K was done in 2000.

I love it, just thought I need to share with my buddies that think cars should be pampered :)

Photo from the odometer tomorrow. With some more pictures. The car will go on eBay tomorrow as well.

$45,000 starting bid.

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    All right!!! it would be interesting to see what the cost per mile was on this car versus a garage queen.

Vincent.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Martin, please do me a favor and call the gentleman who just sold you the car and tell him he's got an official fan in NY... This is the best story i've heard all day; all week...! This is awesome... He rocks...

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad to here he used it what it was meant for.

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I second that! now THATS a real Ferrari owner and DRIVER!

Martin, that is the EXACT kind of car I am going to have you find for me in 6 years. Are you up for it?

If you can find me any other Ferrari for under 20k with similar conditions, let me know because that I might even be able to swing in a few years once Im settled in at College.

6. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
  7. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    That's great! I wish I could add it to my stable. Well, actually it's more like a stall at the moment. :)

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Damm 45 000 $ is 33 000 Euros...whats the buy it now price ? :)

If only it was already in Europe...

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    wow! we are NOT worthy!

if the car has a september 1997 build date (first or so 1998 model) that's not quite 6.5 years - netting to about 1,400 miles per month. some folks don't do that in a YEAR fer crissakes!

kudos to him! make sure you send him a link to or printout of this thread so he knows he has a fan club!!!!

let's say he did two majors at $6K each plus $2K per year in the off-years, that'd be about $21K in maintenance or about twenty cents per mile (plus gas, etc.).

doody.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've got 178,000 on my 1991 'vette,and 18,000 on my 1981 308. Thats about to change as soon as the Weather starts warming up here in the Windy City!!! (new priorities!!:) )

11. Looks like grandpa really enjoyed his 355. :p

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    BTW what is he driving now ? A Stradale ? :D ...that would be too cool.

13. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And it hasn't melted?

J/K That is awsome!!!

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That is a true Ferrari owner, and my hats off to him. Drive and enjoy, that's what the car is for. "Just say NO! to Garage Queens!"

Dave

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think there should be some kind of a fine for putting that many miles on the car. What the hell is heated garage for anyway.

16. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I thought you guys would enjoy that!

Al of those miles were driven between some of his factories in SC and Orlando. Constantly on the road.

I think the reason he sold the car is he is getting too old to drive. He certainly is very sharp in his head. A true business man of the old school and has behaved in this entire transaction more than honorable. He is one of those guys I would easily do a handshake deal with and not lose sleep over.

I feel fortunate having met him as well as having the opportunity to sell this car to the next owner, who hopefully puts another 102,000 Miles on her.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I bet he never had any timing belt issues!, and his Ferrari probably had a reliability record that the owners of garage queens would dream about.

Man if they would just drive their cars we could save this site for more interesting posts than 'my car has this fault, etc', or yet another 'Timing belt' thread :D

Good on this guy for getting the most enjoyment out of his car.

Pete

18. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    20 cents per mile? Saturn advertised to be like 30c per mile operationg costs. Gas alone would be 11-12k i would guess (15mpg, might be a bit high and $1.65 a gal which sounds like a good average for 98-now if gas prices are anything like they are here). We also dont know what he had to put into the car. I DOUBT he drove this car 102,000 miles and ONLY had to do scheduled maint.

19. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent

That's what I mean. i want to see some maintenace records. Might be a great car! Hmmmmmm........

20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It's really great to read about this. Just show you how driver friendly these modern Ferraris really are. Thanks for sharing Martin.

21. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm willing to bet that he didn't have to do much more than scheduled maintenance. A Ferrari can spend some serious time in the shop for unscheduled broken items which would inhibit the amount of regular miles an owner can put on the car in any given year. Also, if it kept going into the shop for bull**** problems I doubt he'd have kept driving it all over the place.

The inconvenience of even two flatbed tows for problems would've kept him from racking up all the miles in that particular car.

22. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch

Okay, maybe I should make the jump now instead of in 3 years. I am interested in possibly trading in one of my cars on that one. Let me know if you would be interested.

1994 Acura NSX
    White/Black leather
    71,349 miles
    5-speed
    stored winters

Overall an 8.5 out of 10. I love the car, and was just getting ready to upgrade it, but if we can cut a deal I have been dreaming about owning an F355 for several years. Please let me know what we could do on this, and send me some pictures. [email protected]

23. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    cavallino,

this post really made my whole week! its really great to see such a perfect car being used and used often. if i could ask you just a couple questions: is it practical to buy a well maintained f355 or f550 with more than 50k miles? what are some major cost items that would need to be replaced before the 100k mark (engine?!!) thanks in advance for helping educate a newbie!

regards
    ernie

24. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    A testament to the 355…. I saw one when shopping for mine with 108 on the clock.

Martin – I’m heading to Moroso in an hour or so…you gonna be there and what car are you bringing?

25. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    ewright - don't let miles scare you.

I researched this site and everything I could get my hands on to learn about "issues" of the 355.

Garage queens are subject to atrophy....I have seen posts about shocks and ride control going bad due to "sitting"....to you name it. Talk to any 355 owner who drives daily and he will tell you it is reliable as a chevy. I drive mine if not every, every other day.

Re: the rebuild. Like any car, do a PPI and a compression check with leakdown....rings and valve guides may be an issue....but who knows? I don't think there is a lot of documented history with these cars with over 100 on them...I'm sure Martin, or the new buyer, will post something.