New member looking at a Maserati Spyder.... | FerrariChat

New member looking at a Maserati Spyder....

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Carrera1981, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carrera1981

Carrera1981 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    I was referred to this forum regarding my interest in picking up an '02 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa. Im coming out of an E39 BMW M5 and looking for a nice Pre Owned Maser. I do however have some worries about the car and have been reading the few posts regarding them over the last few hours. I know that the depreciation is horrible on them (they are now firmly in the price range I want to spend) and also this car will be my daily driver for a short commute (5 miles each way). I know there is a tread about why you didnt purchase a Maserati, but I would like to know why I should. Does anyone think that the depreciation will begin to slow and also what is the maintence/reliability like. Im looking more at cars with a few miles on them 4k- 8k as a possible indicator of a "healthier" car than those with only a few hundred clicks on them. Any thoughts, input are greatly appreciated.

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    To repeat myself from the other thread, my comments about the coupe:

"'02 Mas coupe, 2500 miles, absolutely no problems. Love the look, interior and exterior, and with a tubi we get a fantastic sound. Not a tight lean sports car, but a GT car. Fine strong engine. For better or worse, the car attracts as much attention as my 575 or my now traded in 360. At the used prices I see, I think the car is a great bargain, very underrated, and with a solid warranty. We bought it for my wife, but I drive it a lot."

We love our Maserati - I think it simply was priced optimistically given the market. Our car no doubt has depreciated horribly, but we have no plans to sell or trade it, so who cares? Personally, think the car needs to be discovered. There are so few Maserati dealers, as compared to MB, BMW, Jag, etc. And how many Mas owners could there possibly be here in the US? Most people who ask us about the car have no idea what it is, or that Ferrari owns Maserati.

So our experience has been in all respects positive. Incidentally, we purchased the coupe instead of the Spyder because we needed the 2+2 practicality.

Good luck - it's a heck of a segment to be shopping in, there are so many terrific cars now.

PS - a 1981 911 - would be an SC? One of my favorite 911s, if that's your car.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree I've had my coupe for over a year and love it. No problems. The early spyders had cowl shake but I believe the prob. has been solved in the 03's. Depreciation doesn't concern me but I don't think it will level off. IMHO a high milage out of warantee Maser will be worth 20K. I wouldn't buy one unless that's ok with you. (I'm talking about a 60K miles 6 year old car)
    One point. A five mile commute is too short to properly warm up a car. Make sure you blow it out at least once a week.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I will add my positive opinion to the others, I am very pleased with the Maserati, and I use it as an everyday drive. I enjoy driving the car much more than my M5, it feels like a much better put together machine. I know my local dealer has an 02 spider on their floor, I took it for a ride and though I ended up with a coupe (needed the backseat and I have an 04 360 spider on its way so no need for another spider), I found the spider very enjoyable.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Carnut, you must have a lemon of an M5 ! While I don't own a Maserati, I do own an e39M5 and have driven and inspected both the Maserati coupe and Spider . Their build quality and quality of materials pales in comparison to my M5. Plus, my almost 4 year old M5 that cost $70k new is still worth $50k+ whereas a 2 year old $95k Maserati is now worth about the same. The market tells the truth !

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    We all have our opinion, mine is that the Maserati is a better car, not sure where you live but around here a 4 year old M5 would be about mid 40's, not that that matters, I buy alot of cars every year, hence my name, market means very little to me, only thing that matters is what I think. I'm glad to like your M5, enjoy it.

7. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    what kind of discount can you expect off the sticker price on the maseratis now?

8. Carrera1981

Carrera1981 Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    I know I opened up this thread quite some time ago and never got back to thanking everyone for their opinions. I finally think I have a firm buyer for my M5 and am hoping to be picking up my Spyder in approx. one week in Chicago and taking a nice road trip back to Miami. It is an '02 Spyder Cambiocorsa, Gregio Medio over Nero with Nav, Xenons and Heated Seats. Only 1400 miles on the clock. I've been checking the auction reports and seem to be doing alright with this deal (less than several have sold at auction recently) and guess it may be due to the cold weather up north :). So I hope this all works out and I will be joining the likes of you all. Happy motoring! Thanks again for all the input.

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Congratulations, enjoy!

10. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Congratulations on the Spyder!

We also picked up a 2002 Spyder Cambiocorsa this summer and have been thoroughly enjoying the car. It's in hibernation now, but we're anxiously looking forward to the coming spring.

Take care,
    Brad

2002 Maserati Cambiocorsa
    1996 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
    1974 Triumph TR6

Wish List:
    1992 Jaguar XJ220
    More to follow... :)

11. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Sorry to be off topic slightly, but M5 owners, Im sure you're well aware of the new E60 coming...with that in mind, would you take your M5 Over this vehicle if they were both new? Do you prefer it, even though the new M is alleged to feature 500+ horses...

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have an e39 M5 and have driven the new Masserati Spider. As to build quality and quality of materials the M5 wins hands down.

13. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Ah, but then you'd miss having a truly unique vehicle from marque with a grand tradition. Each to his own, but part of the cache for me is driving something unusual.

Brad

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The new Bimmers are a disaster. Besides being Fugly they don't work. My friend got a new 7. The tire psi monitor came on incorrectly, the radio wouldn't come on, the ac wouldn't come on etc, etc. He gave the car back. BMW gave him a new one. They know they have huge problems.