Bashing the NSX | FerrariChat

Bashing the NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by KennyH, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i like when he makes fun of the mesh shifter cover.

3. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    That boy can drive!

The line Im sure you guys like best is....

"The thing is, no matter how hard it tried, it was never a Ferrari".

70,000 pounds for a 300 hp performance car?

4. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I had a '94 NSX. It wasn't a bad car, but it wasn't a great car. I guess the 6 spds were better, but they couldn't have been THAT much better. i bought a 355. That was a great car.

5. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I had a nsx. Totally reliable, decent power and it handled great. My Porsche is more fun though.

6. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I have a book called the Directory of Classic Cars that makes an interesting statement about it. The one thing you have to remember about the NSX, is that nothing, absolutely nothing is wrong with its engineering, its behavior or its performance. It really is a great car.

The book reads, "It did have one failing Honda could not solve- it was not a Ferrari. Not even in the USA, where cynicim about Ferrari reliability was well established, and where the NSX sold behind an Acura instead of a Honda badge, could sales stand up against those of the Italians."

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is because I believe they made it's driving experience similar to driving a fast Accord ... according to the mags I have read. Not many people want a practical sportscar no matter how many times they think they do, they (I believe) want a car that is something special ...

Pete

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I had a NA2, and from my experiance it was NOT as you describe.

The sensation of you got was not like an accord. Lord the accord will not be rock stable at 145 for an extended period of time. (nice story behind that one)

Anyway, the experiance IMHO is similar to the feel of a BMW, but if you made it MUCH lighter. It lacks the heavy vault like feel of the doors etc, but at speed you felt very well put togeter, like a porsche..sorta.

At low rpms its drove like a TL acura. Nice comfy, a bit low at times, but with grip and handling to make you smile. Getting bored? Drop it a gear or 2, and rev her to 5000rpms the car starts screaming in anger and fury, but never giving that sound of oh for gods sake why are you reving me up?

My final thoughts on the car? Awesome car, I loved it, it had enough torque to make me think it had an 8 (unless you are idling...thats another story too), and the noise was near to that of a Ferrari's. Near. IMHO it was better than a Porsche's.

Senna would be proud. And he was.

9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and NA2s were a 0-60 in the 4.7-4.9 range, while NA1s were a 5.4-5.6 range.

10. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I love my NSX but in no way do I think is better than a Ferrari. I will always want one and will get sooner or later. Although there are some weakpoints in the car, there are many more to appreciate including the uniqueness.
    1. The looks
    2. The mid-engine
    3. High Revving Design
    4. Great Handling

Nice sounding car at high RPM, and in no way drives like an Accord to me..it doesnt look that bad now does it??? It may not be the fastest car out there, but fast enough for me.

11. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Engine Shot- hope everyone likes it...!

12. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Nsx truly is a great car.

13. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I think you took care of the "fast" part with the bent tubing I see in there :D

14. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Pete, I have read that comment about the accord a million times and I really don't understand why they say that. It is NOTHING like an accord when you are driving a low speeds or high speeds. I am sure a NSX owner in your area would be willing to give you a ride and you can see for yourself.

As far as it being practical. Well, a lot of NSX owners use their car as daily drivers. How many ferrari owners do that? I cannot understand how people critize a car that a useable trunk and is reliable enough to be used as a daily driver. I would think those would be qualities people would look for in a car.

16. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Keep in mind the source of the video. The UK! They have been bashing the NSX since day one. Probably the only country where magazined routinely placed the early 348's ahead of the NSX (certainly not the case here in the US).

Some of you are way too caught up in the Ferrari mystique. Certainly now-a-days the NSX seems way too tame to compete with Porsche's and Ferrari's offerings but in the early 90's when it came it out it was a much better car than the 348 was. I have driven both pretty extensively and the 348 may look better and have to status image but it wasn't a better car and certaily not worth an extra 20-30K.

Keep in mind that British society has always been cuaght up on heritige and bloodlines. This is where the Ferrari impresses them and the NSX doesn't.

What was it Madona said about the British "...you can have all the money in the world, but if you don't come from royal bloodlines in the UK you're just a peasant with money".

It's the old class structure things and it extends to cars as well. The NSX comes from a Honda lawnmower company while the Ferrari comes from the guys that have won all those F1 titles.

In the end I am grateful for the NSX in forcing Ferrari to build a decent 355.

The NSX was and still is a great car.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

17. The only decent cars the British ever built were the Mini Cooper, McLaren F1, Lotus Elise, and Lotus Esprit.

Everything else sucks, so they don't have much room to talk.

18. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    The only decent cars the British ever built were the Mini Cooper, McLaren F1, Lotus Elise, and Lotus Esprit.

Everything else sucks, so they don't have much room to talk.

You have not driven a Sunbeam Tiger then.

It has the lovely walnut burl dash, and a a sweet sound when you mash the go pedal.
    It also get high marks on the ole Butt-o-meter.

19. Be that as it may, it's still your typical ****ty British car.

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Also, GT40's body/frame, and the Shelby's body/frame.

21. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Il Comm,
    I doubt whether you have driven an Aston-Martin.If you had ,you certainly would have added it to your list of great British cars.

22. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    The next NSX is supposed to be fantastic. I hope they don't make it goofy looking. And it better have at least 8 cylinders if they want to sell any.

23. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #23 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well let's hope the concept vehicle they unveiled is revised a bit at least the rear of the car.

Honda has confirmed that the new NSX will retain the 6 cylinder but be bumped up to 350 hp or thereabouts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #24 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Actually, the lastest rumor is that it will be V6 400HP turbo. But who knows.