All black links vs. red visited links? | FerrariChat

All black links vs. red visited links?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you prefer all black links or red visited links?

1. All black links like last week. (message icon w/dot still works)

2. Red visited links like right now and old board. (message icon w/dot still works)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Would you rather have the all black links like the past week or the red visited links like the old board and it's like right now. Remember, even when all links are black, you can still know you've been in a thread by the mail with a dot on it icon in the far left column.

Thanks,
    rob

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Personally, I don't like the red links. All black links are more pleasing to the eye.

3. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Red read links. Like them, I do.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I like the black links last last week. Red read threads and black threads with the yellowe'd or unyellowed check boxes for the topics creates a bit of confusion,
    whereas just black text and the yellowed (or not) check boxes id perfectly (and quickly ) understandable.

Jeff Davison

5. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am so excited right now with these red links for read threads. I can't believe so many people want black links. Makes it so much easier IMO to see where you've been and whats going on. I feel that this was the one missing piece for this new board finally coming together. I like them Rob. Keep 'em.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I like Red for read.

I think it makes it easier to see the read links.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ugh - this red links thing is bugging the heck out of me, in fact.

sorry - not a fan at all.

can you make it a switchable option?

doody.

8. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Sorry to say that but IMO red links apply to the visited threads, the dotted letter only to where you posted a message... not the same goal...

RED LINKS ARE USEFULL !!!

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The old forum's vlink color was:
    bb0088 - (midrange purple) - I certainly understand not using it, as the (unvisited) link colors were blue on the old forum, not black. When all is said and done, thematic consistency is most important.

The current (questioned) setting is:
    FF0033 - (pinkish red) - Kinda Blue Boy gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a shrill red, which has harsh undertones.

Try
    FF0000

That is equal to 255,0,0
    in "Lay"man's terms, that's:
    100% Red, 0% Green, 0% Blue

Gotta scoot - need to replace some brakes!

10. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Isn't there an icon next to each message to denote if there is a new message in the thread?

The yellow icons indicates that there are new messages in the thread/board. I think it is too confusing/busy with the red links and yellow icons. Furthermore, the yellow icon denotes that there are new messages, whereas the red will continue to be red whether you have read what's in the red or not! Too confusing, just like my last sentence.

I agree with Doody: make it a switchable option. That shouldn't be too hard in php.

11. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I like the red links. easy to see where/what I've read.

12. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I think the RED LINKS rule!

It's much faster to know that you have looked at that particular link and nothing new has been posted. However, if there is a new post since your last visit to the thread, the link should NOT be red.

13. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    IMO The red/black seems to be too much of a contrast against each other. :(

I thought the old software colours were quite easy on the eyes :)

14. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    The board is defninitely too busy with the red link... remove them! Or at least make them optional...

Ernesto

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Its a strain on the eyes.

I like dark shade, light shade of same color. Blue and light blue or something like that. But black against red looks like a war zone.

16. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The suggestion to change link colors has been mentioned a few times - even posted in the "Suggestions/Bug" section.

I followed up on that, and later suggested to Rob via email that a change might be helpful.

I'm not seeking credit by those who like it What I am stating is, that if it looks lousy - that's my fault - not Rob's. Pelt me with rocks and garbage.

Rob did not get a wild hair up his (_!_) and decide to make a change.
    BUT, it shows that he thoughtfully listens, takes action, and listens harder - which is the most important trait any leader can have.

You know that jpg MaranelloMan uses - "Holy ____, what a Moron!" -
    the one with the crowd pointing their fingers? They're pointing at me. (I don't feel bad - I'm laughing)

No matter what happens, though - people who voted "Red/Black" became aware of the icons on the left of any post due to the annotations provided by those who prefer "Black/Black".

17. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    maybe I am blind but the red visited links with whatever color the unvisited links are now is not enough contrast for me eyes... would it be possible to make it a little more noticeable? that being said I like the red links

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll leave it here for another day, but I'm pretty sure I'll go back to all black. There is no reason for the red links and I think it is ugly and hurt the eyes.

If there are new messages in a thread since you read it last, then look at the far left icons and you'll see the open letter.

If you have posted in a message before you'll see the dot on the letter.

No good reason for it except it's what you were use to on the old board, I think everyone should get use to the new icons.

19. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Different color links, definitely. The mail dot is just too hard to see on 1600 res, while the different colors make it easier to scan the threads.

That being said I'd like simple blue links better, internet standard. They are easier on the eyes.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The red links might be OK if they actually worked, however, they're not going back to black for me after a new thread is posted. I'm going to change it back now, but take a screen print for everyone to see what it looked like.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thread view...

22. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    #22 348paul, Nov 9, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    With reversion to the Black/Black link theme, the Icons stand out all that much more (to me, anyhoo). Fascinating stuff, our grey matter.

I suppose the Red/Black experiment can be described as sublime, or as M.S. Dworkin put it:
    "well-meaning ineptitude that rises to empyreal absurdity"

Ow, ow, ow