308 does not start | FerrariChat

308 does not start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Demarzo, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Demarzo

Demarzo Rookie

Dec 21, 2002
    Southern Califronia
    I've been working on replacing timing belt, well all the belts, water pump running down oil leaks. Fix and put the car all back together, went to start. NOTHING. I did not hear the fuel pump so I checked the fuses. Found the fuel pump fuses had been to hot. Changed that one and the relay. Still nothing, so I changed out the fuel pump. Went and tried to start it again, does the same thing. Turns over, can't hear the fuel pump and does not start. Any other ideas? What am I mssing. I read about a contact under the drive seat but mine is a 1980 and I don't believe it has one installed. What else should I look at before I have it towed to a shop? Any feedback is good!

Richard

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I assume since it is an 80 that it is Bosch K-Jetronic. Pull the blue harness connector on the back of the fuel distributor, mass air unit and turn the ignition to pos. II. You should hear the pump then. If not then you can look at various options. If it is a carb 308 then you should hear the pump when the key is in pos. II also. The problem could be in the fuse block too. Check for power there. You could bypass the fuse just for a brief period to see if the pump will run.

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1. Are you getting current to the fuel pump fuse terminal on the fusebox?

2. Check your battery voltage. My pump operated very quietly and did not pump because my battery's voltage was too low, like 11 volts or something.

3. The wiring to the fuel pump is very simple. a. Is the fuel pump grounded at the chassis? b. There's a "capacitor" thing that goes into some nut near the fuel pump, connect that. c. There's a single power wire leading to the fuel pump. Assuming it's there and connected?

4. Look at your wiring diagram. Double-check your seat-pump-disable switch is jumped/disabled.

5. Get some wire at radioshack w/ inline fuse. Connect it to battery. Connect hot fused battery wire to fuel pump. Fuel pump should be grounded at normal location. NOW does it run?

Just some ideas.

--Mike