348 Clutch removal | FerrariChat

348 Clutch removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ShanB, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    This is a simple task & I've searched the archives but want to be sure.

Doing my clutch now, I've removed the clutch cover with the pack attached inside it but don't see how to separate the pack from the cover. Looking at the parts manual I can't see how it is held in by anything else but friction at this point.

Does the clutch pack just lift straight out of the cover or am I missing something? Also any other tidbits to know when replacing the assembly. I'm doing this to fix a slave cylinder leak and also since I'm removing the engine anyway and "might as well". Thanks in advance.

2. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Sorry I can't help your with your question(s) but I'm like to see some photos, if you have any, of the engine out and the clutch assembly...It would be helpful to post a procedure here as well...

Best of luck with the project - VK

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Find Vincent's step-by-step-by-step procedure in the old archives, with lots of pictures. Sorry, I have to run or I'd post a link. Good luck and have fun!

4. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
  5. NC348

NC348 Karting

Feb 18, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James I. Movich
    Jeff,
    searched old archives with broadest parameters possible (348 AND clutch)...no joy on the post with pics.

any more clues you can share?

6. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a special tool that is used to unbolt the FW from the carrier bearing. From Ferrari, it is an expensive tool. At the shop we took a piece of steel plumbing pipe and turned the inside diameter for the nut and then milled 4 notches that mate up with the nut torque application points. We then welded this pipe to an expendable 1/2" socket.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Shan,

Resnow has posted the link to my experiences with my clutch and flywheel on the 348. The clutch and FW assembly come with the casing. Once you have it off, remove the small cover plate on the back of the casing and you will see the retaining nut for the whole assembly.

I brought mine to FoSF to have the nut removed, only cost me a bottle of wine. I made the tool so that i could put it back together myself in much the same way as previously described, using an air wrench preset at 250 ftlbs.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck.

Is the engine already out? Any tips I plan on maybe doing the same myself next winter.

Vincent.

9. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    One more thing. Are you sure it's a slave cylinder leak and not the seals between the transmission shaft and the motor output shaft?

Vincent.

10. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Jeff,

BTW I haven't had any problems starting the car ever since i repacked the Flywheel.

Vincent.

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    this picture show the retaining nut

12. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb

Thanks Vincent - I'm reasonably sure because it's brake fluid and not gear lube that I see and smell. I don't have the engine out but plan to soon. I will post pics when I dive in.

13. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Kinda gnarly in there. What do you guys use to clean this?

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Shan,

Brake cleaner is usually what I use for tough jobs like that.

Vincent

15. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks guys. A few bolts and down to the flywheel in less than five minutes:

16. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Vincent, Mitch, others:

So that I understand, I'll need to take this somewhere (where they'll have the special tool) to get the nut off the back of the bell housing to remove the flywheel, right?

17. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Close up of the flywheel:

18. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    All clean after brake cleaner and a lot of Simple Green:

19. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Shan:
    Nice work so far and good pics...

Vincent and others with specialized tools: Just a suggestion here...Would it be nice to make these expensive factory tools available to fellow tifosi to assist in their work??? I mean for a small fee of course, whatever that might be ($$, exchange parts, barter, beer, dinner etc)...I mean, how many times that special Flywheel tools is needed once the clutch job is done?? Probably never again....Why not share those specialized tool(s) instead of buying new every time some needs them...

We use that same system within our local Porsche club and have saved hundrends $$ in buying specialized tools from the dealer when doing cam belt changes, tranny rebuilds etc.

Having said all that, I personally don't own any Ferrari tools, just Factory manuals....if anyone needs something just ask...

Vasilis K.

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I think I still have the tool somewhere in our shop. Send me an email or pm me and I'll be happy to send it along. I should have thought of that!

Vincent.

21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Shan,

FYI
    I've got the dual plate clutch as well. If yours ever needs resurfacing or new clutch plates I found a shop in SOCAL that redid mine. It was a lot cheaper than having to buy the whol assembly from Ferrari. The same clutch (AP Racing) is also available through AP dealers at half the price.

Vincent.

22. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Vincent. My flywheel and clutch discs appear to be within spec (11mm) but for future reference, who did your clutch component rebuild and what do they typically charge for this?

23. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Cluch pack is out, now I'm trying to figure out what seals to replace to stop it from leaking and leaching the flywheel grease again.

I removed the TO bearing - and examined the seals. Not sure if these are available separately as I don't see them in the parts book. I assume that the one that is split is made that way?

24. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    another view of the seals:

25. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name: