Have a drool at this collection ... | FerrariChat

Have a drool at this collection ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PSk, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I cant help but feel angry at this guy.

3. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    On the same topic (i.e. Ferraris in the barn), different circumstances and location: Does anyone know what happened to the LWB California Spyder, s/n 0927GT and the 275 GTB, s/n 7009GT from Howell, New Jersey? Did either car ultimately find a buyer? Was it though ebay or after the auction ended? Are they being restored? Are they in the hands of a dealer? Are they in the United States or abroad? LWayne?

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Last I heard, Shadlun still had the California and 275 and both were for sale (being offered through a PI named Enrico Pineda). Another car from this group was Lusso s/n 5045GT. I was recently contacted by the current owner of this car, who wanted to know if I had any history on it. According to this gentleman, the car is in Northern Europe and is undergoing restoration.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Wayne,

I posted this on the other thread in the General section, but I thought I would put it here as well ...

Okay regarding the car collection including the P3, P4 and GTO, from what I can gather from this thread is this Walter Medlin still owns most of these cars.

Is this true?

And what does annoy me and is sad is these cars are (were) in really good condition and simply need to be cleaned and stored well and they do NOT need restoring. Thus as far as I am concerned he is just as bad as the out door barn find person ... and appears to be somewhat of an idiot letting such property destroy itself.

He obviously has access to money so why not put up a new barn and chuck in an air conditioner and pay a kid or 2 to clean them ...

Pete

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Unbelievable... i'm still amazed...

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Pete, as stated in the other thread, there's a lot of confusion going on here. The photos of the red California, green 275, and silver Lusso are from the "collection" of Basil Shadlun in New Jersey. Shadlun owns a towing company and had these cars stored in what has been described as a "chicken coop" on that property for many years. The cars were offered on eBay not long ago.

The R&D article is about the more prominent collection of Walter Medlin from Florida. His cars are kept in a movie theatre and are in good shape.

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Wayne,
    I've always enjoyed your comments on the old and new board.... maybe I missed this somewhere along the way but how do you know so much about these vintage ferraris? Like the VIN's and stuff it's just amazing! I know that when you post it's worth reading...thanks for sharing.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I hope he's taking care of the ones he still has. Or he sells them to someone who will.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #11 PSk, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Good :).

As for the other collection well they are in desperate need of help.

Pete

11. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    #12 barchetta, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    Wayne,

Do you know what they are currently asking for the California or 275? Are they being advertised anywhere? Does the PI denote a private individual or is Enrico Pineda a broker?

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
  13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    For the newbies out there, Basil's collection is "the chicken coop" that some of us refer to.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I don't know off hand if the California or 275 are still available or how much is being asked for them (I'm sure I could find out, if someone here is seriously interested). Enrico Pineda is a private investigator ("PI," as in "Magnum").

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

Are there pictures of the 275 and California in the chicken coop?

Also where in NJ are they? It might be a fun destination for a drive in my car (once the salt clears!).

Regards,

Art S.

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Here you go, Art.

California Spyder s/n 0927 GT:

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    250 GT/L s/n 5045 GT and 275 GTB s/n 07009:

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Howell, NJ.

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

Thank you for the pictures.

I'm sure I can find Howell on the map, but I doubt that figuring out where in Howell the cars are will be easy without specific directions.

NJ seems to be rather full of dead Ferraris. I know of a 308 rotting away out doors in south Jersey and Classic Coach has several dead ones both outside and inside. The last time I was at CC there were a yellow 330 GT 2+2 series 1 and a 246 Dino rotting away in the front lot and a number of various dead exotics around back (some can be seen from the north east corridor train line).

Regards,

Art S.

20. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    I would like to make it clear that Shadlun's Ferraris are NOT for sale and are no longer in Howell, NJ. Also, I do resent the comments being made about my father. Thank you for your time.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Let me apologize on behalf of the over-exuberant youth on the site here.
    They feel any Ferrari not driven daily is wasted! They really mean no harm.
    If they had any idea of the maintenance expense involved, they'd understand the economy of concrete blocks! :)

Also, sadly, this thread was fading down the list of topics, well into last month's business. BUT, your post today puts it right back at the VERY TOP!
    Maybe you could request Rob lock it up after this. Find a post by Rob328gts (in Racing now, discussing Sebring 12 Hours)

Did the cars sell on ebay as someone mentioned, or was that an exercise in appraisal of current market value? Are you holding title to them now?

This site really just enjoys "shooting the breeze" about these rare early cars.

WELCOME TO FCHAT!

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Have people said anything worthy of resent? Please don't be offended.

We are all very interested in the history of these cars. If you can tell us anything, we would really appreciate it!

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, Psk was talking trash about building a nicer A/C'd barn and hiring some workers to polish 'em!! That's big money... to a tow truck driver!

I emailed Rob. Maybe he'll show up and smooth it out!

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is another of those "qualified buyers only" type folks.

That's why they need to broker 'em. I got Sheehan's number right here!

Now if I could only get Walter Medlin to call me back! LOL!!