Stripped 308 oil drain plug | FerrariChat

Stripped 308 oil drain plug

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pnorman, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    My 308 drain plug is stripped. It is a 10mm allen. Any suggestions on how to remove it? Should I try to drive in a 11mm allen? Thanks, Patrick

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Insert an 10mm Allen wrench (short end) into the stripped hole. Have someone MIG weld it to the plug, and use a pipe to turn the long end, at 90 degrees. Of course, you will need a new drain plug.

To beat on an 11mm wrench, so that it fits, will take the chance of cracking something.

3. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    I stripped it by using what I think was a 9mm (it wasn't marked) instead of the 10mm (marked) I have. Now the 10mm turns (the metal appears soft), that's why I thought I could tap the 11mm in...Patrick

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am with the welding suggestion. But, I have a welder so it is easy for me to say. I know it is a pain to put everything back, drive it to a exhaust shop, weld it it, pay $20, drive back and finish the job.

But, that sure beats ruining your oil pan.

5. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    OR..........if you aren't really mechanically inclined or if you have no welding option........leave the plug in..........then use a siphon to siphon out the oil and don't mess around with the plug.............I think that should work.......I'm sure someone hear will chime in.........but you can buy really nice Oil Siphon tools for around 25 bucks...........

just another option

6. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    This is even better: Instead of welding an Allen wrencch, place a short bolt into the stripped hole of the drain plug. Have the head of the bolt lay flush with the plug surface. Now have it welded in place.

Now you have a hex head bolt drain plug...........just saved you $25? on a new drain plug.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Good idea! Even if you end up with an non-original looking plug.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    $25 for a drain plug??? LOL Gotta love stuff in the yellow box.

Ken

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You think that is expensive? Try the 4 notch fine thread nuts that hold the timing belt gear drives. Two each, and you have to cut them off to get them out, so replacement is mandatory at $35 each, for a NUT.

10. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    The $25 was just a guess!!!!!!!!!!! Why pay more, just to have the car "original"? At the current LOW prices of 3X8s, and TRs, why bother? A waste of money, IMO!!!!