F40 engine parts interchangable? | FerrariChat

F40 engine parts interchangable?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zsnnf, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Does anyone know if F40 heads will fit on a 348 block?
    Will an F40 intake fit on 348 heads?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rick,

Technically the answers to your questions are no, but nothing is impossible. The position of the head studs, waterways are the same however the basic design of the headgaskets are different in the way that the additional sealing material around the waterways are not the same. Also the fire ring is a different diameter - the F40 has a 82mm bore whereas the 348 has a 85mm bore.

The intake gaskets are different in design not to mention the
    profiles / shapes of the intakes and the cylinder heads themselves.

Basically without major machine work and designing its definately a
    NO NO.

MW

3. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Thanks for your reply. Being a Chevy guy at heart I am always looking for more Cubic Inches, or CC'c in this case. My Open Road Racer runs a tall deck small block 427 in it. So.....
    I guess what I was really looking for is, Is there a way to swap blocks, heads, or ??? to up the CC in an F40? I know you can put a 328 crank in them to increase the displacement to 3.2 Litres. Another F40 owner told me there was someone in Europe (big place) that was useing 348 motors to make a bigger F40 engine. Any idea how this is done?

Thanks again,
    Rick

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Rick,

I haven't heard of anyone "upgrading" an F40 engine in the ways that you have described, however that doesn't mean it's never been done. If you think this has been done in Europe then why don't you put a post in the European section and see what response you get.

I know a couple of guys that might know, I will contact them and see what I can find out.

MW

5. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    I would be suprized if there was a possible interchangeability, but if you find there is , please post.
    As I recall that particular motor was originally in the Famed 288 GTO, and was originally develo[ped for Lancia as an endurance motor (I believe I got this from Alan Bishop's highly regarded tome on the V-8's As I recall it was termed the 268C engine, although do not have the book in front of me to Quote directly.
    But then I have peronally dropped 348 heads on a 4 valve 308 block and they fit, yet I know of no one useing them there.
    HTH.
    Kermit