More Stradale Test Info | FerrariChat

More Stradale Test Info

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    From a thread on RennTeam, started by one of their moderators, quoting from "Supertest":

Some data:

0-100 km/h: 4.4 sec
    0-200 km/h: 15,5 sec

weight: 1387 kg

2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Its not 1280 kg . (?)
    What did they put to this car to make it heavier?

If I'm correct the 360 CS is suppose to do 0-60 mph in 4.2 sec.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's "Supertest"? Was that a Euro CS or a US CS they tested?

3058lb is a bit disappointing relative to quoted numbers (unless it has the stereo option... not sure how much all that weighs); anyone know the options details? And was that with or without driver?

Those times are definitely on the slow side, but all the magazines 0-anything tests have been a bit slow... I am hoping that the magazine drivers are less than expert at launching an F1. Some fo the magazines have even admitted that the launch was a challenge. Anyone know any details in this case?

4. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    0-100km/h is actually 0-62.5miles/h so yes it is about 4.2 secs. The factory figures are 0-200km/h in 13.9secs so it is not far off. and the 0-100km/h factory figures are 4.1 secs. I am sure this has to do with the slightly tricky launch control and at what revs you let the thing go. Cocking it up wil cost 0.3secs easily.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Brian, as you have a CS on order, I believe, Ill hope with you that they are doing something wrong, and for everyone else, 0-100 KM/H is usually a tenth or two less than 0-60, not sure why, its only 2 mph, anyhow, what I was getting at was that, shouldnt launching it be like shooting fish in a barrel? the LC button takes care of it for you doesn't it? And lastly, I dont know if the raw weight really matters in this case so much as the weight that is CUT from a standard 360 (in other words what are you paying for!). Secondly, regarding my comment that you agreed with a few weeks back, maybe keeping a EURO 360 would be the best chooice, it might be lighter than a US stradale! then just get the TUbi exhhaust for (dealer claimed) 7% power gain;)

6. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Get hold of the latest UK Autocar Test between 996 RS and 360 CS. From memory Ferrari was most upset that Autocar had used a customer's 996 RS and wanted to also use a customer's 360CS. It would appear that a standard 360CS is considerably slower than the test or press vehicle they allow performance figures to be taken from. Needless to say the 360CS didn't perform as well as it was supposed to, either that or Porsche are way too conservative with power output as both had similar power/weight ratios and for the second time in a row 360CS was a lot slower than manufacturers claimed figures.

Reminds me of the old days of Italian 'ponies' versus horsepower but I appreciate there is a lot more factors involved with acceleration run than just what the motor is putting out.

7. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have read that the 360CS is difficult to launch optimally. Not sure why given LC. Perhaps thats the issue. I would also assume that most of the 360CS cars that they are testing are quite new and have not had time to really settle in. Most cars aren't at their quickest right off the bat.

Ferrari's are not renowned drag racers. I would say that 0-60 in 4.2 is still pretty fast.

8. H2OTT

H2OTT Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    It seems Ferrari has been fibbing, this is way too many magazine tests with dissapointing results, might as well pick up a 99 360 and outperform the stradale, Inexplicable.

P.S. It does appear that Porsche is really conservative with their output and, however like Ferrari they are known to under report their weights, just my $.02.

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    A Supertest is a detailed track-based review in Sport Autos a German magazine (EU car). They are serious and the guy that drives the car is a racing driver. I was waiting for that test and thought it to be scheduled for 1/29 publishing. They are also scheduled to do a GT3 RS Super Tets and comparison as far as I remember.

10. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This doesn't make sense. If Ferrari wanted to also use a customer CS and if what you say is true about the customer cars being slower than the press cars then Ferrari wouldn't be doing themselves any favours using a customer car.

As for LC, I don't have my car yet but the book says 'the driver activates the system using the pushbutton on the tunnel and maintaining the brake pedal depressed, and then adjusts the starting engine speed using the accelerator pedal. When he releases the brake pedal the clutch closes rapidly while the driver control torque delivery'

This still needs help from the driver.

Another thing I heard is that the electyronics on the early press cars was wrong and some of the early 0-100kph were in the 5 second area. Bad car or bad drivers?

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I am hoping that's EXACTLY the issue... the test drivers are all assuming LC takes care of everything. One of the magazines even mentions revving it to 7000 and then releasing the brake via the LC. Would they launch a manual from 7000rpm?? No... well then why do they think it makes sense for the F1 with LC??

I would expect you'd want to rev somewhere in the 3's, release, and then as the car gets moving quickly add more throttle... much like you would with a manual. HOWEVER, I don't have one yet to try it out... so, I'm not too sure.

Fortunately, I do very little standing starts. I wish the magazines did more 40-100 and 40-140 instead of 0-60 and 0-100 tests.

12. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003

They also said that they didn't know why, because they had never driven a customer car from Ferrari that was any slower than an official UK press car, unlike some other manufacturers.

13. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003

Will,

That thread is a joke. It's a bunch of Porschephiles who get off on ripping Ferraris. Whenever a Porsche wins a test over a Ferrari, or a Ferrari doesn't do well they rush to the computer and instantly post the results. When the opposite happens it never gets mentioned.

BTW, I would trust a German magazine to test a Ferrari as much as I would trust an Italian magazine to test a Porsche, which is to say very little. I don't know what the test conditions were, but I would bet it was cold and those Corsas have no grip off the line for acceleration purposes.

14. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Autocar test at 0 degrees Celsius, both cars on Corsas:

15. H2OTT

H2OTT Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Ok bumboola, you provided autocar results which is a neutral British magazine, where is the logic to the Porsches equivalent performance to the CS?

16. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    I have a Stradale and have done 5000kms in it so far of which 3500 kms are track. So I am getting to know the car quite well.

Some comments:

Weight: Official dry weight 1180 kg
    Official weight in running order 1280 kg

Now you have to consider certain things: these are eurospec #s US is heavier. These weights do not take any options into consideration. For example the roll bar weighs something like 25 kgs, the extinguisher system 10+kgs, glass windows 15 kgs etc etc. However, let's not forget that it is the unsprung weight of the car that is interesting - otherwise one should consider the weight difference between the people driving them.

Acceleration times: the 0-100 kph of 4.1 secs and 0-1000 metres of 22.1 secs was almost matched by the German publication Auto und Motor Sport, but the French have had trouble getting close to those numbers. I actually discussed this with a French journalist who did one of the first tests (Echappement magazine) and he admitted that they tried the launch control more than 20 times which tells you that they were not doing something right - a sister publication to that magazine was 1/10th quicker in damp conditions with the same exact car. Don't forget that these testers are more accustomed to doing standing starts in Fiat Pandas than Ferraris.

Noted a member claiming that a Gallardo was quicker round the Nordschleife than a CS: Who was driving ? In addition unless you are Walter Röhrl, Niki Lauda or some other superstar from yesteryear the Nordschleife is so difficult to get right that times are meaningless. What is interesting to note is that Dario Benuzzi is 1.2 secs slower round Fiorano in a CS than he is in an Enzo....THAT tells you how quick the car really is.

I have raced my car in club events at the Mas du Clos, Magny Cours, Le Luc etc and other than an Enzo who blows you away the minute there is a straight, no one can follow (including Porsche RS on slicks).

The CS is the best Ferrari I've ever owned or driven, but the real compliment came from Daniel Marin, President of Ferrari France, who said in an interview in the magazine Sport Auto that the CS was quite simply the BEST road car Ferrari had ever built....and there is a man who knows his Ferraris!

17. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    By the way no self respecting Tifoso would ever consider buying a Lambo, a Porsche or anything else in lieu of his Ferrari, so keep the comparisons going - they are irrelevant!

18. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Loved reading your post... but this sentence caught my eye. Do you have actual times for those two? My running list of Fiorano track times shows 5.7s difference between the Enzo and the CS.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14233&postcount=13

Do you have different numbers for one or both??

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Could this be ? A french Ferrari owner ? Bienvenue !

20. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    The purpose of the chart is to show that it is difficult to get any traction off the line in a Stradale, especially when it is 0 degrees celsius. The mph at the end of the quarter mile is much more indicative of the horsepower of the car than the ET. These cars weigh the same, regardless of what Ferrari's overly optipmistic weight figures suggest.

Maybe the Italians weigh their cars on the moon?

21. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    ChalStrad,

How do you like the composite brakes on the track? How often did you have to change the front pads?

ACW (another french ferrari owner)