[b]GT4 owner seeks help from other fellow GT4 owners...[/b] | FerrariChat

[b]GT4 owner seeks help from other fellow GT4 owners...[/b]

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Peter, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #1 Peter, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If anyone can help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd like for you folks to take your tape measures out and take down a few measurements for me. A diagram below lists the areas. Basically, I'd like to have the dimensions for the "Boxer" paint scheme found on these cars (it'd also be good to see if there are variations in dimensions between cars). Dimension "A" goes from the top edge of the stripe to the crook of the crease along the body. Obviously, dimension "B" is the gap between the stripe and the matt-black area. And most important, the width of the stripe itself.

Also, is the black absolutely matt (with no sheen/reflection), semi-matt, or gloss black?

Since I'll be taking my car in soon to have the dent in my nose fixed, I thought that seeing as it'll need painting, that while its there I'd have some more painting done (if they're reasonable with the price).

Thanks very much...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #2 Dom, Nov 9, 2003
    Peter,

I am attaching a photo of my car.

It look like I don't have the top stripe. I did measure from the end of the crease to the top edge of the thin stripe, in my case was 0.1 cm.

Dimension B on my car is 0.6 cm.

Hope this helps.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    My black appears to be absolutely matt (no sheen/reflection).

Dom

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Peter
    My car was repainted by the PO so I can't say that dimensionaly the striping is factory accurate. It appears to have a wider spacing and a narrower stripe than Dom's car. Every factory "Boxer" style paint that I have seen has been matte black (no shine), like the hood on a early 1970's Mustang Mach 1 or Barracuda/Challenger. My car has a high gloss black paint which I find more attractive, if not different, than the usual GT4 boxer paint scheme.

\image{wheel}

\image{rear}

5. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It appears that everything has changed AGAIN, just when I learned how to use the system.

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    3rd try

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Peter: I wasn't sure how to measure from the bottom of the crease to the stripe, but from the "top" of the crease, it's quite small - perhaps 1/16" or so. The stripe is 3/8", with 3/8" space.

But take the above with a grain of salt. My car originally had boxer paint, but Floyd didn't like it, so he removed it. Said it came off real easily with thinner. Then later he repainted the bottom to hide a bit of road rash. He used (incorrectly) gloss black, as he didn't like the matt finish.

Note that there will probably be some variation, as there is 'factory' boxer paint, and boxer paint done by Bill Harrah at some point after importing them. Some "Series 1" cars got the boxer treatment at the same time they were "Ferrari-ized" (De-Dino'ed??) by Harrah, others at the dealer.

I'm not positive, but I suspect Dom's car is correct.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    This is all helpful guys, please, others out there, post your measurements as well...

And it looks like every car is different. Seeing as this was applied by hand with masking tape, there will always be variation between cars... That's okay, I'm using this as a guideline.

Will I lose points at the next Concours for having too fat or thin a stripe!?! Ha ha!

For those that are wondering why I'd consider this (as they may know I have a black car), apparently my car had this. On the Heritage Certificate: "Nero 20-B-50" = Black w. black Boxer trim. Confirmed with the original owner of my car.

Must be the only one in the world...

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Actually, that top line I drew was meant to represent the crook of the crease on the body, but the measurement you took will work perfectly instead...

Thanks

10. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    #10 gerritv, Nov 10, 2003
  11. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    PETER!
    I really like the idea of going to the red/black boxer trim. I think it's hot.

But really, your car came out of the factory black/boxer black?

That is extremely rare. I would say that boosts the value of your car at least 20k!

HA!

DJ

12. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Hmmm... Maybe mine was repainted correctly. I measured 3/8", but 9mm would have been in the realm of accuracy.

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    [size=+2]Yes!!![/size]

Thanks so much Gerrit (and Rob Garven!) for providing that Tech Sheet... Exactly what I wanted...

DJ, I wish!

14. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Sorry Peter, mine doesn't have the boxer paint.

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I have PDF of the technical updates for the gt4 including the boxer paint scheme instuctions and specifications. I will e-mail it to anyone who wants it.
    it is 3.7 mb.

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Rob tried to send me this file a while ago and I could not receive it due to the large file size (Both my personal and my work e-mail limit incoming file sizes). Is it possible for someone to host this file? Or possibly split it into 2 files?

Alternatively, Rob, can you burn it on a CD? I will gladly pay for shipping and handling to me.

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Dom

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    No problemo. It would be nice some sunny day drive up so I can see your car up close. :-0. If not sure I even have some other stuff I could put on there.

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Rob, that would be great!

Another alternative: Have you considered driving out to Crystal cove one Sat morning (it's earrrrly though)?

If not, would love to see your shrine sometime, and compare cars.

Shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Thanks,
    Dom

19. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Robert
    I will host it at dino308gt4.com. Not much of a site there at present but there is lots of space. I will PM you with upload details later tonight (it's 8:25pm here, you guys have most of the day left to do cool stuff :)

20. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Hey Gerrit, didn't know you had a site up...looking good.

21. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Gerrit,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Just let us know when you have it posted.

Thanks,
    Dom

22. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Guys
    Ok, the site now has Tech and Service bulletins pdf files. Robert scanned in copies I had obtained last year. I also added the Service Time bulletin, you can compare your service times with the factory expectations :)
    I will add Parts manual once it is down to a smaller size.

Enjoy.