TR Seat adjustment. | FerrariChat

TR Seat adjustment.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Jkee, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jkee

Jkee Rookie

Oct 24, 2003
    Gentlemen I'm looking at a 1990 TR, which I test drove yesterday, I love every thing about the car other than the head room. I'm 6'- 2" and find the head clearance limited. Any suggestions on possible seat adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

2. pdavis

pdavis Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Morristown New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Preston
    I am 6'-1" and I have not had a problem with headroom in my TR. Slide the seat back as far as comfortable and then tilt the seat back rearward to give yourself head room. I also find that it helps to drop the front of the seat (knee bolster area) to it's lowest position. Good luck. pd

3. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    ..And I'm 6ft 2 1/2 and have no problem with my 90TR. Its a question of finding the right compromise of seat position and rake. If you move the seat all the way back then the rake adjustment is limited by the engine bulkhead. Personally I prefer to not have the seat right back, but allow for some rake. This means you are leaning slightly back, feeling more relaxed in the seat and gaining headroom too.

Steve

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO what you need to improve/evaluate your fit is a steering wheel extension (and a 350mm max diameter steering wheel) -- makes it a lot easier to use the "Italian driving position" like the guys have suggested (seat bottom a little bit forward and the seat back significantly reclined). The large diameter stock steering wheel in the TR doesn't help things either since it's usually tipped full up to give more legroom underneath -- which moves the top of the wheel further away from your shoulders (the same shoulders that you've just moved back by reclining the seat to get the necessary headroom). I'm 6'3" and really can't find an acceptable long-term body position sans spacer using the stock TR yacht tiller ;) (although I should really go up from the 1.25" spacer to a ~2" spacer). Anyway, just wanted to point out that some minor changes could make a big difference -- did for me.