What are the new Classic Cars? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What are the new Classic Cars?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Well the Sacks or SharperImage or other Special Limited Yatta Yatta Yattas are just the same car with some little badge, I was looking for the cars people will DESIRE like the Hot cars you aspired to when you were a kid and now have the money to purchase as a Classic.
    This would be like the Shelby Mustangs of the 60's the Firebirds of the 70's but wanting to know the 80's and 90's cars that will become classic collectables.
    Limited SAks No, just sold to people with too much money and not enough sence

2. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Volvo V70R and 850R

Luke.

3. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini

They are more than just a badge. They have an AMG package. They are the only model MB that year with that Saks blue. I think you might be wrong on this one. 61 made in the entire world tell me that won't be something in 30 years go ahead and tell me. What you are sorta saying is just because it bears the name of Saks it must be some sort of gimmick? Was the Hurst Pontiacs of the 60's a gimmick? Sure Hurst offered their trannies to all the Pontiac but for a couple of years you could order their wheels also and now those rims are worth more than some pontiacs complete. Hurst didn't make wheels but they did for a couple of years. Sometimes gimmicks work for you some time they don't. I think in 30 years if there are even 20 of these cars left they will be worth something.

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I may be wrong on that, you may be right. But for this Thread I was looking for cars a young man lusted after in the 1980's 1990's as his IDEAL car.
    the idea is that those cars May be the Hot new Classics when that generation becomes the Wealthy middle age types like the Baby Boom has done to the Mustangs GTO's and Cudas
    I don't really see too many guys scanning Saks for their automotive desire. If I am wrong....

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Interesting choices

BTW I used to work for Volvo and I AGREE!
    What a great "Sleeper"

6. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Carbon, no. These cars are marketing gimmicks, and the Saks moniker or paint does not make them special. They might be as desirable as the non-Saks version, but not more so. So, if you think it's special, get the non-Saks version.

At one time, Neiman Marcus hired some designer to do a checkerboard interior in some Mercedes and sold a few limited-edition copies. Because of the designer's growing reputation, those cars could have gained in value as art pieces, not as cars. Unfortunately, the fame was short-lived, and those cars have mostly been re-upholstered! It's the same with the stuff Peter Max does. Cool to look at for a while. Then you move on.

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    THanks Fasil I knew I could count on you.....

8. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Some cars on my mind...(country wise)
    Holden (the badass one--is it the GST?)
    Volvo T5R Wagon
    Lancia Integrale Turbo
    F355
    Some Alfas (too many!)
    Porsche 911 Speedster (the one with the humpback)
    91 BMW M5 wagon/sedan
    BMW Z1
    BMW M3 Convertible
    Audi RS3
    Venturi
    Renault Turbo
    Renault Clio
    Ford Cosworth (oh my god)
    Lotus 340R
    Lotus Exige or Elise Motorsport (modded to 300hp though)
    TVR Griffith 500 (I would put traction control in this one...)
    GMC Typhoon
    Chrysler Prowler
    SSR (is it out yet?)
    Ford GT
    Couple of the Mustangs
    Skyline GTR R44
    RX-7 Turbo 3rd Gen

Absolute supercars...
    Koenigsegg
    McLaren F1
    Enzo
    288 GTO
    F40
    F50 GT1
    CLK GTR
    Porsche GT1
    Carrera GT
    Porsche 959
    TVR Speed 12

Prototypes
    Audi Avus

Down the line
    Possibly (almost definitely) the AMV8

9. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    So marketing gimicks never pay off? Like I said in a more recent post what about the fact that Hurst made Rims for a couple of years in some of mid to late 60's Pontiacs and now you can't even touch those for under a couple of grand A RIM and that was a gimick. Just because it is a gimick doesn't mean it won't be worth something in the years to come. It all depends on what the people want not what people thought 30 years ago. I might be wrong but i still think that in 20 years out of 61 made there might be only half (if even that) left and a good one in great shape will bring in some good money.

10. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Marketing gimmicks pay off sometimes. But these ones won't.

11. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    This might help...

Imagine you are on a guided tour of a car museum 30 years from now. Kinda like the Marconi facility, or the Panini collection in Italy. The tour guide stops in front of each car, and points out what's special about it--its performance, engineering innovation, the marque's heritage, the model's significant wins, perhaps some anecdotes and history about the specific car, it's place in the automotive world at the time of production, whether it was rare, or an icon, or just different, etc.

Can you imagine coming upon a Saks car on display? What would the tour guide say? The only thing I can think of is that some 60-odd idiots (or more likely, their wives) fell for a marketing gimmick and paid extra.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Right again there Fasil..

The Hertz Mustang Shelbys from the late 60's are in hot demand now because they were special, limited (somewhat) and only some survived being RENTAL CARS!!
    Designed for SAKS just reminds me of those Home Shopping network limited (1,000,000 copies) Nascar collectables that are out there... Or the Franklin Mint Elvis plates... OR......

13. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    The saks cars have no mention of saks anywhere on them. It is basically a color that was only put on 61 cars and it also has the AMG package. So when you keep talking about it being designed by saks or for saks makes no sense. The only thing it had to do with Saks stores is that they gave you a blanket and some other trinkets and they gave the breast cancer foundation the extra 5 grand it cost for the car. Can you imagine a 57 Chevy ragtop that only had 61 cars made the same color that car would be through the roof. I think some cars you can tell that they are going to be worth something someday and others you can't tell. I think with the limited numbers of this car will make it worth something someday maybe no a lot of money but it will be worth considerably more than a normal run of the mill clk500.

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ok Using that arguement will a WB Warner Brother's Chev Van be worth considerably more than a regular chev van?

15. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    was there 61 made? If not then it doesn't fit the situation does it. It is hard to compare a van that had what thousands of them made to a car that only had 61 made.

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    another twist...... gm ( had) a " 1LE DELETE" option on the 82 and up generation camaro/fbird. these are " rare" in quantity produced, but not worth alot as of now, most that have one dont know what they are, ergo making them rarer. they are characterised by the radio delete manual windows and locks, no t-tops, no a/c ( some were special ordered with it, scca daily driver weekend racers). and no sound deadening or insulation of any kind. the hatch back option is also rare, and ugly, it was concieved to help with snow accumulation, or so i have read in my reasearch material. i dont like the cars myself, but the ACR dodge neons are fun little cars. i have a frinds that does nothing but buy, sell and tinker with these things. heck i can pick them out fro him now when i see them . hint, they have the holes but no parking lights and have adjustable shocks with the adjuster in the glove box. IMHO the toyota mr2 will be a very very good car to get and invest in they are fast, ferrari like, reliable, and did i say fast!!!! ( turbo) ive had several and i really should find a nice " keeper" since they are so much fun.i think Martin had some dealings with them as well. by the way WRITERGUY, sorry for the belated response, the recaro package trans ams are very rare, they had special all recaro interior with the WS6 suspension package. it came out in 1984, on the 15th aniv package. i pretty much stick with 1970 to 1981 bodystye, but there are always " special" case cars i bring home.i need a 3x8 something now though!!!!!!!!

17. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Carbon, we are referring to them as Saks cars simply as a way of referring to them. We know that there is no Saks labeling, or if there is a tiny placque somewhere, it's certainly not the reason why we think the car will be more or less valuable. If someone thinks otherwise, they are certainly entitled to their opinion, and I would recommend that they invest in one. But as you can see, the consensus is that it's a gimmick.

If it's a somewhat special commission because there's only 61 of them all sold by a specialty retailer, and because some of the proceeds are going to charity, and because it has a special engine package...well, great, but who in 30 years will be willing to pay more for such a special car? Who will be willing to even acknowledge that it's special?

Exactly.

18. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Why do you think the XJ220 still so unloved? Hasn't made anyones list.

19. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Who are you calling Carbon? I think you are are a little mixed up

Exactly.

20. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Sorry, thought I was talking to DES/Carbon/NNO. How come you have his pic in your avatar? Did I miss a thread about this?

Re. the XJ220--good point. Personally, it's nice looking but perhaps a little too swoopy, and the rear end seems to carry on for miles. As far as being a classic, I don't think it's going to drop much more in value. It took a huge beating at inception because it was announced as a V12 and then had the specs changed to a turbo'd V6. From what I remember, Jaguar had to sue the early buyers who demanded their deposits back. That missing V12 is its biggest shortcoming. The interiors are not that great either, IMO. But for classic potential, yes, I don't think one would lose money on it.

I did think about Jags, but figured the E-type was already a classic. Never thought about the XJ220--my mistake. It's definitely a collectible.

Now if they had built the F-type roadster as shown a couple of years ago, I think that would be a true classic. It was in Sunny's profile on the old board.

21. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
    After reading through all of the interesting cars listed I realized that I have owned a few of these and my favorite bar none was my 87' Buick GN and for those who mentioned that the GNX is selling in the teens let me know where and I will buy one! The lowest price I have come across on a first rate example is about 36k! I bought my GN for 10k and sold it for 14k within the last 2 years.

Also, unless I missed it I have not seen anyone mention the 89' Pontiac Trans Am- Indy Pace car, a limited production TA with the Buick GN drive-line. Just my .02

Cheers

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Nice lists, everybody

80's - Present
    Ferrari
    F40