Goodyear Eagle "Gatorbacks" | FerrariChat

Goodyear Eagle "Gatorbacks"

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 8valve, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Hi, can anyone help me find a set of Goodyear Eagle tyres for my 308. The sizes I need are 205/55/16 and 225/55/16 VR/ZR "Gatorbacks". I believe these are discontinued, but maybe someone still knows of a hidden stash. Anyway, if not, which tyres can you recommend for a 1977 car with 16" rims. I would prefer a more or less vintage 'look' to the profile. On page 74 of Keith Bluemel's Original Ferrari V8 there is a picture of a (spare)tyre, the type I am talking about. Thanks, Mick

2. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Believe it or not, I have two for sale, they are both used however, 75% of the tread is still left, they are both 225/55/16 VR gatorbacks. I believe you are correct, they are not made anymore as far as I know. One of the two however is slightly cracking in the sidewall because it is alot older than the other one.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    8valve,

I think the only current "gatorback" styles left are the assymetrical GSCs that I run on my '94 Pontiac Trans Am.

The current Eagles are F1, or series GSD3, and I have them on my '77 308GTB in the 16" sizes you list.

They are made in Germany! I'm going by to see Goodyear warehouse on behalf of another Fchatter and I'll see what I can find out.

Goodyear is #1 in Racing

4. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Mick,
    I just bought these for my 81 308 GTSi, 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rears. They are Goodyear Fl - GS - D3 Gatorbacks.
    WilliamR

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    As an alternative to the Gatorbacks (which I personally hold in low regard), my experience is a decent performing modern tech tire without the modern look is Pirelli P6000. I replaced my Gators with P6000s and was very pleased with the performance and ride.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So flashman, you aren't looking for the NCT VRs???

It IS easier to just update the style in the size you need, unless not replacing all four at once.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The GSD3s are lots better in the wet than the old gatorbacks, for sure.

Of course the newer ones are on my 308, while the Trans Am can burn those GSCs right on down!

8. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Alan,
    I checked with Leesa, and we were unable to locate any of the NCT's. She really went out of her way to help. I decided to get the Gatorbacks.
    Thank's for your help.
    WilliamR

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stock is on the rise too. $10.88 current.

I KNEW I should have bought in at $4!

They did send some cool Blimp antenna balls out for my last race!
    Did you get one of those? LOL!

10. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Thanks for the reactions everybody. I will eventually buy 4 new tyres (thanks for the offer anyway,1975gt4don!). The Goodyear's with the V-shaped tread are too modern looking for me. I do not like the looks of the Pirelli 6000 either.I have found Dunlops (SP Sport 2000) BF Goodrich(g-force T/A) and Pirelli's (PZero Direzionale+Assimetrico) that I like based on their looks.Does anybody have any experience with either of these? Thanks again, Mick

11. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    8valve, no problem. Had my Gatorbacks since 1988 believe it or not. Only one of the 4 needs to be replaced due to sidewall cracking, but I am going to replace the two fronts when I get my baby back in about 6 weeks from it's makeover. Nothing but good to say about Goodyear tires, except they don't grip for squat on wet roads but I don't drive mine in anything but perfect weather, going thru dips in the road with water and punching the throttle isn't the best thing to do. :)

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The new GSD3s are a great improvement in wet handling.

I came across the Galveston Causeway in a serious thunderstorm.
    400 feet above the water with torrential driving rain and 45-65MPH crosswind gusts.

Everybody else gave up and pulled off the road. I was GLAD I had 'em on!

And those legendary Ferrari wipers. Thank heaven for RainX.