Poll: ticket for no front license plate | FerrariChat

Poll: ticket for no front license plate

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by bobwass, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    bummer! on the way to work this morning i got an equipment violation ticket for no front license plate. this is in west LA. is there even a way to put a front plate on an '87 328GTS? i'm sure it would look 'great'. what about blocking the cooling. anyone else have this problem in california?
    now that he fixed the VLF tax, maybe arnold can do something about this
    stupid front license plate issue.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Go over to FBH and have them do a little quick fix/ plastic tie down job for you. Show the cops and snip it off of the car. Been there, done that!

DL

3. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I am at risk in my Sunbeam Tiger. No ticket so far.
    I have an original Blk/Yellow California plate in back. Anyone know where I could get a reproduction of my rear plate to put on the front.
    I really like having the old plate on the car.

I did hear from somebody who got a ticket in San Diego for this violation.

Erich

4. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Once got 3 front license plate tickets within a 48 hour period...all in W.LA. I was so upset - didn't even get a chance to fix the first before getting the other two!

Just have it signed off or pay the $30 fine and be done with it. :(

Btw, I was able to avoid future fines by leaving my front license plate on my windshield every time I parked in the W.LA area.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Oh, and one other thing....the parking enforcement morons will not hesitate to write your F-car up for no front plate to generate revenue for our fair city (even with time left on the meter)!

DL

6. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I second that!! I got these tickets parking in residential area and on meters after hours!! what's up with that??!!!

B.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

When parking, use a car cover and your lack of front plate won't attract as much attention ;)

Sunny

8. gezuvor

gezuvor Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard Barker
    While I admit to not driving an F-car, I can say that omitting a front plate can be a benefit. I'll explain...

I drive fast. A lot. While I've got a pretty good eye and nose for law enforcement, I get pulled over at least two or three times a year. That isn't a lot for some of you, but it makes my wife crazy.

Having something on the car that they can cite besides "85 in a 65" will allow the officer to give you a warning about the speed and a ticket for no front plate (or tint, my other vice). This assumes that you're a nice guy and play the courteous yessir nosir game. They give you a break and let you go, but don't leave the scene w/o issuing a citation, which is critical for their quotas, paperwork, etc.

Before you call BS on this, consider my aforementioned wife. Untile recently, she has a nondescript Saab sedan with no equipment violations to speak of. Seperately, we have both been stopped on the same stretech of road by the same officer. Our speeds were very similar (I was slightly faster) and she is the poster child for civility when confronted w/an authority figure, so the situation is about as equal as possible. Since she has no lesser offence to offer the patrolman, she gets a ticket for speeding. I get cited for no plate, a warning about the speeding and a "have a nice day".

Prologue: She has since instructed me to remove her front plate...

9. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Once upon a time, I was driving very fast >120 from SB to SF around camp roberts on the 101. It was a short burst of speed for maybe 10 miles. I slowed down.

5 minutes later, a CHP comes blaring down the freeway behind me and pulls me over.

I act innocent (I hadn't been speeding for at least a few miles ;) ) and the officer goes on and on about how they got a report of a very fast car and that I had to be it.

I said, no sir, wasn't meeeeeeee.

He proceeded to ticket me for no front license plate and was pissed off he had no proof of my excessive speed other than hearsay.

Weeks later, I go to the DMV to explain to them that there is no place to put my license plate on. The DMV robot said that I would have to weld something on. I laughed, and left.

I bought some velcro at a store and took my new front license plated car over to the CHP to get the ticket signed off and now no more front plate.

When parking in public areas, try to angle your car so that the front doesn't show easily to a meter maid cruising around in their scooter.

10. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Few months ago got a parking ticket with my 355 Spider at a meter spot in Bevery Hills. After studying all 6 signs I thought it was safe to feed the meter and do my errands. When I got back I found the ticket for no front plate. Weird, they give you a choice to fix it and pay $10 or not to fix it and pay $30. I chose the latter, telling myself I can't drive and park on the public streets of Beverly Hills with the F-car.
    One week later I am parked on the streets with my BMW M3. Do my errands, come back and got a ticket! Silly me, same problem, different car. This time I did the fix-it and installed the license holder.
    ST

11. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In Europe every car, including F-cars, have front plates. Nobody over there has a problem with that.

Have you considered why the California front plate law has only recently been enforced? Those redlight cameras. No plate, no ticket. and if you think running redlights is a good idea, you do not deserve to drive a nice car.

The Fed's pay for the red light cameras. Muni's that have the cameras get extra highway money from the Feds. Enforce the front plate law, you get $ from DC and generate some local revenue.

Ever hear of something called Probable Cause? No front plate in California give the cops the justification to stop you. Ever have an extra glass of wine with dinner? Would you want the cops to smell your breath, even if you are driving fine? Keep driving without a front plate and any cop can pull you over for no apparent reason just to check you out.

If you really hate the front plate (and if you have a personalized plate why would you hate it?), register your car in New Mexico or Iowa. Those state only mandate one plate.

Scott
    With 2 plates on all of his cars

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    My p1800 has a weird front bumper, i always get pulled over for no plates, and the cop says drill holes. I go to court, explain to the judge why there are no plates and explain that it is a vintage car and to alter the bumper would lower the value. I usually walk, if i do not, i have my dad fix the ticket.

For you I would say that every corvette on the road has no front plate, and that like the vette, the plate obstructs the car's ability to cool the engine, and was not designed with it in mind, therefore if the state mandates it then they should notify the factory and begin retrofitting the 50,000 or so cars, which they can't do. The state exempts cars before shoulder harnesses and smog which is a far bigger crime than a very conspicuous ferrari-get-away-car.