Wine Collecting? | FerrariChat

Wine Collecting?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by prohydro, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had thought there was a thread about this on the old site, but I couldn't find what I was looking for...

I'm curious about how to start collecting wine. I realize that I don't have a serious enough budget to make major investments, and that I'm not going to retire on a few bottles. But I'd like to start keeping some wines to hold on to for awhile (and honestly, I love the wheeling and dealing aspect of things).

What kinds of things do you look for in a wine to hold?
    Where do you get your info from as to what to get?
    What publications/books are you reading?
    And, how do you sell your wine? (Auction, private, etc)

Also, is anybody in to buying and holding Tequilas? That is something else that I am very interested in.

We do not have proper storage set up yet, but that will be coming soon with some of the condo projects we are doing. I thought I would use the time I have until then to start learning.

~Chris

2. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I don't know anything about wine collecting, but I do know if you ever see a liquor store going out of business, stop by. I've made it to 2 different going out of business sales, one place was 75% off the other was 50% off. I'm sure if you knew what to look for you could stock up for a lot less cash.

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Wine Spectator magazine or website is a great place to start. Find a store that gives case discounts. Go to Barnes and Noble and look at the wine section for buying guides and books on collecting.

Most stores post a rating like in the mid to high 90's for each wine. Ask an employee at the store for advice or even a tasting.

Look at regions - Napa, Sonoma, German, Australian, and try to find something you like. I always buy one bottle of an unknown each visit, and have had a few successes. Even if a wine does not have a high rating or a lot of awards, if you like it, it is a good wine. Ask the employee if a particular wine has a good history and how long it will keep. Some wineries have websites also. Even Ebay is a good source to see prices over time and staying power.

Right now I am biased and have been buying Andretti wine, since it is good, affordable, and I like the Mario Andretti linkage. Not going to make me any money, but popular at Ferrari events.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    My uncle is a serious wine collector with over $500,000 worth of wine in his cellar. Every year he buys cases of the big six Bordeauxs: Chateau Margeaux, Haut-Brion, Lafite, Cheval Blanc, Latour, and Mouton. He purchases many other wines in addition to those six; however, those are the ones he purchases without fail. I guess buying them every year is a big gamble as not every year is like an '82, but you do get lucky.

As for selling: he usually sells his wine through private ads. More often than not he gets a collector that will have, for example, all Chauteau Margeaux's except for 1986, and, naturally, this collector wants to complete the set, so he will pay whatever it takes to get the case.

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    How about:

1. My wine collecting is much like my car collecting…….for personal enjoyment, not for profit. So, don’t “collect” any wines that you wouldn’t really want to drink yourself.
    2. I buy from retailers like The Wine Club www.thewineclub.com and K&L Wines www.klwines.com
    3. I also buy a great deal of more obscure and rare wines over Wine Bid www.winebid.com
    4. I’m mostly “collecting” 1994 and 1997 California Cabs, and 2000 Bordeaux
    5. 1986 was one of my favorite years for Bordeaux
    6. I’m a real nut for Ch. d’Yquem

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    While i do not drink alcohol, have been slowly collection various vintages/types for guests. Recent acquisition was fairly standard (two cases of 1995 Dom). Fchatters who came here for various parties have enjoyed the fruits of my labor (pun intended).

Enjoy The Wine,

Steven R. Rochlin

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #7 jimpo1, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do you want to COLLECT wine or TRADE wine? Big difference. If you want to collect, find wine you like and buy it. If you like it a lot, buy a lot. If you want to trade, find out what other people like and buy it. Keep it for a few years, then sell.

I collect, I don't trade.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Jim, still love your collection... even if 9 bottles are missing! :D

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I had a nice collection going and then some chick moved in and then she stopped working and then she thought that going to grad school for 3 years on my dime would be a good idea. Now she's graduated and starts working next week. Payback!

Bob, Jennie saw Bethany at Tom Thumb. Pretty funny. Jennie didn't get out of bed all day Sunday. :D

I use to have fun at www.winebid.com. Now that the bank is filling up again I might have to reacquaint myself.

I learned the most from reading Wine for Dummies.

I have the most fun reading Wine coffee table type books with pictures.

In Dallas we have several local wine places that do education/testings and then ring you up for over-priced wine once tipsy.

10. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Bethany made it up but I don't know how!

11. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Funny, my wife was pretty lethargic too. I wonder if it was a virus?

I'm surprised either of your wives made it down the stairs. :D

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Kerosene! ...oh gawd, I think I have a handful. Who's going to treat the patient when the patient is the PA!

13. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    LMAO! I forgot about that. YUCK!!!

14. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Jimpo1,

Thanks for your reply. "Collect" was probably the wrong word. (Scratching head) Am more a gatherer of finer things so guests, or myself, can enjoy. Have not drank alcohol (or done drugs) for over 15 years, yet there is no reason why my friends, neighbors, and of course guests can not enjoy a complimentary beverage as i HIGHLY enjoy cooking. So guess i shall never know what anything inside these bottles tastes like, yet those who have enjoyed appear to be very pleased.

Fchatters who have visited seemed to be very happy :)

Now if we are to discuss my personal joy of consuming cigars, espresso, and personally prepared meals...

Enjoy Life,

Steven R. Rochlin

15. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Sad thing was, I think she enjoyed it! :)

16. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Sorry Steven, my diatribe was directed at prohydro! You're neither a collector or a trader, simply an excellent host.

17. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    The monthly Wine Spectator is good and Robert Parker's Bi-monthly publication, Wine Advocate is outstanding...he also has www.erobertparker.com

If you get a chance...p/u the last Wine Advocate...Parker rips Opus One a new one...entertaining.

Typically, collectors break their wine into three tiers:

1. The higher end collectible wine that has ageability...Included in this is a couple of very special cases that I have for the vintage my daughter and son were born...I plan on breaking them out for their rehearsal dinner some day.

2. Special wines that I would drink on unique ocassions or special dinners out, etc....

3. Everyday drinking wines...I drink wine everyday...about 10PM I have a glass or 2 in my office...sort of way a way to oreward myself for working my nuts off. Everyday wines are alot of fun...finding the diamonds in the ruff...the big bang for the buck wines...you will find that there are some unbelievable values out there...in every region and grape variety.

All the best!

TTG

18. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks for all of the good info you guys have been giving me. I guess I'm trying to toe the line a bit. We love drinking wine, and have always picked up bottles from all kinds of wineries. However, I'd like to start obtaining some to save that can be used for special occasions, and maybe to make a few $$$ on. Kind of like our art...we buy pictures and paintings that we love and hang in our home. However, occasionally we pick up some that turn a decent profit. My favorite was picking up 5 oils for $5 each at an estate auction one night. Nobody was bidding, so I bought them. My wife was pissed, she just kept saying "Where are we going to put those, they are so ugly!" She had something else to say when I sold them on Ebay for an average of $80 each. Not a huge score, but it was fun because of the "I told you so" factor!

19. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Jimpo1,

A most humble thanks my friend... and that is what a few Fchatters have said who enjoyed our little get togethers. Just like to be a gracious host and provide a comfortable place for my family/friends/myself.

Photo below is from Fchat meeting here in October.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin