The New 612 | FerrariChat

The New 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by racerdj, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    For lovers of the 550 and 575, what a replacement!! I saw the car at the Detroit Auto Show and pictures simply do not capture the car as in person. Simply awsome!!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Anyone seen one right next to a 456? Any pics of both together?

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI the 612 is the replacement for the 456 not the 550/575.

4. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    I'm very sorry guys but I saw the car at the LA auto show.
    BIG YAWN!! Everyone of my friends agreed this thing
    really looks like a Toyota or something.

What happened to Ferrari?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm going with one of two theories or both...

1) Everyone else copied Ferrari, but they've always done that.

2) CAD brought along limitations that never hindered the hands of Pinninfarina when he designed cars real life. CAD muddies everything and makes designs less destinctive. I also think CAD is one reason cars the past 5-10 years have had sharper (not in a positive sense) lines.

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I don't know how to include a quote, but I don't agree with Rob's statement. I'm a car designer, and have used computer's for doing design work. And I have to say, it's not the tool but the artist who wields the tool.

7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Your absolutely right. The car in person appears very close to the 550/575 in size inside and out.
    Thanks for clearing up my post.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'll give this to you as I never worked with CAD or don't know the first thing about it. In theory it sounded good that a designer molding clay or beating a hammer could produce more attractive art than from a CAD program.

9. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I'm asking the same thing. I can't believe there isn't a new Ferrari on the horizon I am interested in owning. The Maranello replacement is their last shot for a long time.

10. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    I feel exactly the same way!

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Word-for-word my feelings also. :(

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes but there is a certain Masi that I am liking more and more.....

13. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I rather like the 612. I liked it more when I saw it in person - even though I didn't care for it when I first saw pictures of it.

14. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Old news, the car is to sweet looking for a ferrari, where are the airintakes that sharp point every ferrari has, its way to round and ugly, its the first ferrari i'm very dissapointed on!

15. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    Sorry, i'm talking about the 612 here, the 550 and 575 are very nice, way more beautiful then the 612, strange car i have to get used to it!

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Racerdj, Pls don't take my post about the Detroit car show out of context. You are right. There were a lot of people oohing and aahing the Ferrari exhibit. Just like there were a lot of people at the Lambo exhibit.

Personally, I really like the 612. I was very happy to see that the "Bangle Z4" carve outs on the door were not that noticeable. Indeed, the car looks very 550ish, which is of course why Mikey likes it.

It is bigger than the 550/575. In fact, my guess is that it is bigger than the 465 because it has a real back seat.

Will most of the folks on F-Chat like it? I doubt it. But will Ferrari sell all 200 or so shipped to the USA? You betcha. My guess is that the market for this car is (1) an existing Ferrari owner who wants a daily driver, or (2) a successful doctor, lawyer, or indian chief who wants a Ferrari, but whose significant other balks at buying a 360 (No fool she who knows what kind of cars attract titty bar dancers). Are there at least 200 of these buyers in the US. Of course. Will they make money on their cars? Nope. Will they care? Nope.

DrTax