Oilfilter 328 | FerrariChat

Oilfilter 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dutchman, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Did someone ever use a "MANN" oilfilter for his 3x8? The number is the same but it says Fiat and Ford on the side.

Ton

2. Corsa

Corsa Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Please, check this thread. I know its not about MANN but...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/307068.html

or short version:

---
    I have changed from FRAM to UFI oil filter now.

New figures

FRAM PH28041
    Engine off for 24 h: 7,3 s before oil pressure light goes off, needle goes to 3,5 bar.
    30 minutes off: 4,5 s
    5 s minutes off: Less than a second

UFI
    Engine 24 h off: 3,3 s before oil pressure light goes off

My mechanic says that FRAM is out of his shop now.
    He didn't know FRAM was that bad.

This started it:
    ---
    My 328 takes about 5 second to build up oil pressure from cold. I.e from ignition on until the oil pressure lamp goes off.

I have a feeling that it took less than that before my last oil filter change. Do I have a oil filter problem or something else? Is it normal with 5 second?

Do also check this tread
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/288083.html?1059962078

Ciao
    Peter

3. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    go with UFI. my 308 oil light turnes off as soon as engine lights.i have found none better.

4. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    No offense , but were you around during the GREAT UFI FAILURE of three years ago ? I had two UFI's blow out their gaskets in two days. It turned out , once I posted the occurance on FERRARILIST, others chimed in that they had the same problem. The UFI rep insisted that I had installed the filters improperly . He also implied that since I purchased the filters from a source other than an authorized dealer----they must have been tampered with. Yeah, TL Rutlands has nothing better to do but sabotoge oil filters.

Shortly thereafter , Ferrari issued a notice to all dealers not to use UFI. They then issued a recall and fixed the problem of the failing gaskets.

I will never use UFI oil filters again. Baldwin B253 is the way to go.

Tom

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Guys,

Thanks for the input. I will read the other threads with care. I will also post my experiences with the "Mann" filter.

Ton

6. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I also use the Baldwin B253 and never had the hint of a problem.

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    If you are concerned about the filter--try this:

remove the filter mount and run 2 (-12) lines over to a dual remote filter unit mounted below the coolent tank--use (2) Fram filters for 280Z cars With the 2 filters you get better flow, more filtering, cheaper filters, and NO MORE DUMPED OIL WHEN CHANGING FILTERS....

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tom,
    I am in total agreement that UFI and Ferrari handled the defective filter situation in a poor manner, and were not timely in responding to this situation. But I would also like to caution others that those filters are long gone, and a redesigned UFI (and satisfactory replacement) is now on dealer shelves.

It is in my limited understanding, that the Mann filter does NOT have the internal standpipe that Ferrari specifies. It should be easily seen if one were to look in the center hole of the mounting plate. Care to take a look and report back? :)

9. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Dave,

I just checked the MANN filter. What I see is a standpipe of about 1,5 inches diameter with holes in it. And all the way up in the filter I can see something like a spring.

Does this make any sense to you? Is that the standpipe that you mean?

Ton

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Dave,
    What can I say ? I hold a grudge against companies that don't own up to their mistakes. Anyway, even when the UFI's weren't blowing their gaskets I was told that I needed to glue the gasket in place . A few people told me I needed to flip the gasket over. I don't think I need to pay $30.00 for an oil filter and then have to modify it to make it work properly. I'm paying $9.00 for the Baldwin and never had a problem. It even has the standpipe . : )

Tom

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    That's not a standpipe, sounds like the inside of the filter element.

A standpipe is a solid metal tube that goes almost all of the way to the top of the filter. It's purpose is to keep oil from draining out the filter's center hole when the filter is mounted vertically. The anti-drainback valve keeps the oil from leaking out of the ring of holes on the bottom of the filter. When a standpipe filter like the Baldwin is removed, it's full of oil, about a quart!

W/O the standpipe, the oil pump would have to pump that quart of oil into the filter before it would flow into the engine & begin building pressure! It takes several seconds to do this!

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tom,
    You are rightfully PO'd at UFI, can't blame you there. BTW, the sealing ring issues were purely with the earlier design...the latest one uses the same sealing ring as a Baldwin. Go figure.... :)

13. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Is the standpipe an essential item for the oilfilter.

Ton

14. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Dave,
    Besides, the Baldwin is red----matches the car. The UFI, being white, just doesn't look right. :)

Tom

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    One more thing. To eliminate the mess caused by the oil pouring out of the oil filter's standpipe upon removal---punch a small hole in the top of the filter prior to removal. This relieves the pressure and allows the oil to drain out of the filter. No mess.

Tom

16. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I was told that there is a risk of bringing small metal fragments into the engine when you punch a hole.

Ton

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ton -- It's not a huge deal, but this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/19896.html

has an illustration showing how a standpipe traps and holds more oil inside the oil filter case after engine shutoff in a gasket-end-down mounting arrangement. Also, the oil filters that have a standpipe for an F application (Baldwin, UFI, Fram, and an English brand was mentioned that I can't recall for sure -- Hastings?) tend to have more rugged/well-built outer cases to deal with the higher (especially cold start-up) pressure.

Would I pay $50 for an oil filter just to get the standpipe? -- no. But the price of the Baldwin (and even the UFI from the right places) is low enough that it's worth it IMO.

18. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Steve,

Thanks for the input. I will read the other thread tonight.
    The MANN filter costed me € 13. A UFI filter will cost € 50.

Ton

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ton -- I understand your resistance at that price (that's about what an F dealer here in the US will charge for a UFI too!).

FerrariUK shows the V8 UFI oil filter (F PN 191993) for 14.4 pounds -- are you not able to source parts from them (without excessive shipping/taxation/etc.) due to your location?

Seems like someone should smuggle a suitcase full of Baldwins to Europe;)

20. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Steve,

Current price for UFI filter (191993) from FUK is now £8.50 - reason for difference is the web site is due to be updated this week.

MW

21. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    What is a good price for a Baldwin filter? Do they have other applications besides the 328? In other words, do they make filters for other Ferrari models or does the B253 fit any other models? Thanks for the input.

Brent

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd say the Baldwin B253 goes for $8~$10 in the US if ordered directly from a larger truck supply house in the major urban areas, maybe a little more ($10~$12) if from a smaller retail outlet, or you're more out in the sticks.

Malcolm -- that £8.50 UFI price is very fair IMO (similar to what T. Rutlands charges here in the US IIRC) -- I can't wait 'til you start offering TR parts too!

The F PN 191993 UFI (which used to be F PN 100325 or 111782) is used on many different F models -- I believe all the pre-348 V8s and older 12s using the dual oil filters could use the B253 (i.e., the F that can't use it are the TR, 348, and the post-348 models). So just go by PN -- if your F model uses 191993, it can use the Baldwin B253.

23. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Thanks,

I will order one from Ferrari UK via the owners website tomorrow.

Ton

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Ton, Brent, et al,
    Old man Baldwin and Ferrari were friends, he even sponsored Ferrari racing in the US, that is why they still make a filter to fit the F cars. You cant fin a better filter. Here is my take on this:

UFI under glass

25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Baldwin on the car!!!!!