allegra side effects? | FerrariChat

allegra side effects?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schatten, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I've read a bit here and there in the google groups (archives) and nothing in there seems to hint anything about being drowsey or feeling 'kooky' in any way. I say kooky, because it isn't quite the drunk feeling - yet.

But earlier today, went to the doc and that's what he gave me. Not allegra-D, but just the straight up allegra. Is there any reason I should be feeling like this? And is this normal at all?

And nope, I'm not taking anything else - nor any kind of vitamins, supplements, etc.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have had surgury for my sinus's and i live on allegra and zyrtec. i have to take the allegra BERORE i go to bed for it to work for me . otherwise i feel like i am " under water" so to speak. you are not alone!

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    glad it isn't just me. that's just how I feel. damn. I should head out and beat traffic.

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i used to take it, don't now. none of those worked for me, now i just have to blow my nose a lot and live with the multiple nose bleeds a week. I hate being congested.

5. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I've had bad allergies for most of my life... I finally started taking allergy shots 2 yrs ago. What a difference!!!

I took them all... Allegra, Zyrtec, Claritin, Clarinex... none of them worked for me either. The only thing that worked was the over-the-counter stuff like Actifed. But I'd be sleeping an hour later.

Now I rarely need anything.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Detached" is the word I'd use to describe the feeeling.

Drive safely!

7. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    allergy shot does wonder for people who have severe allergy like myself at about 70$ a pop where i live. allergraD or claritin don't do me any good. zyrtec helps a bit after the allergy shot. i normally get about 2 shots every year during the allergy season, and I've been doing it for the past 10 years..

8. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I came down with allergy problems in '96 when I was 36. Never had suffered with them previously, so it scared me. Most people can't relate to what they are. I was so fatigued at work, I had to leave and go home to take a nap at times. Anyway I went through 4.5 years of allergy shots, which helped quite a bit. Had a great ENT doctor, who has since retired. Also had a great GP who would turn out the lights in the room and shine a light through the front of my face to see which sinuses were closed. Closed sinuses means infections from the fluids not draining, and plugged ears/earaches, which is what my GP said accounted for the endless fatigue/lightheadedness/unsteadiness. Let's not forget that post-nasal drip/plastic/caulk that perpetually drains down the back of the throat (sorry to be graphic). Tried everything. Allegra-D worked for me the best, but go with what's best for you. Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin were all worthless for me. Buying a room air purifier did no good. What helped quite a bit though was cleaning out the central air ducts of my house and spending a few hundred on an ultraviolet light particulate filter that's installed inside the ventilation ductwork. See www.abatement.com for details there. Also very important is to see if you start to have an allergic reaction after eating certain items like wheat or dairy products. Try to avoid those foods if so. Wear a dust mask when you cut the grass, work in the wood shop, or other areas that might adversely affect your immune system. The nasal sprays Atrovent and Flonase also helped. It took a few years, but I'd say I'm at about 98% of my former health. I also take no allergy meds now, and I'm thankful for that. Good luck.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow!!! normhuff, glad to hear you are better, i didnt want to get into medical stuff " too" much but boy you hit it on the head!!!!i became allergic to the damn shots within 3 months. found out in traffic after leaving the DR office. made it back in time and had to be treated. NOT FUN!!!! anyway to those who dont know any better, have yourself tested for food allergies. i found out a few months ago i am very allergic to some very common things, now i am 10000% better since i void these things. also found out pennicillin will kill me dead.... poof ... game over. ummm this is a good thing to know since its given out to much!!! the food reactions were internal, not really something you would see as in hives or a rash. i dont smoke, drink only socially with friends now and then, so i am usually bouncing off the walls even after working 12 hours a day. i have got to look into having the ducts in my house cleaned!!!! one more plug for treatments, i am doing drops under the tounge to lessen the effects of the allergy triggers. its way cheaper than shots and less hassle. its a great feeling to be able to breathe!!!!

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    normhuff, what you had appears to be exacly what i have now...i'm getting worried. I hate it, i can't blow my nose without me ears poping and my eyes getting that gunge stuff in them, i also get what seems to be swimmers ear about once every 2 weeks that lasts for about a week and don't forget the random nose bleeds..... it sucks