fuel tank filter r&r tech question | FerrariChat

fuel tank filter r&r tech question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gabriel, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#1 gabriel, Jan 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings:

Before installing the replacement fuel pumps, I was going to remove the tank filters. See below, #55 :

However this sucker is really on! To remove it will require a deep well socket and a breaker bar. Actually, I'm concerned that I could damage the tank itself. Has anyone R&Red this assembly? The assemblies seem to have a bit of crumbly sludge material built up that should probably be cleaned out. Second choice would be to try to clean them by repeatedly pouring a solvent through the tanks.

Has anyone here done this, or have any thoughts on what might clean these out really well?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    I've seen those filters sucked flat and partially blocked - you need to buy a good quality single hexagon socket and a long breaker bar. Believe me it will come out easilly.

MW

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Thanks! Do you know offhand what size socket that is? I don't have a set of deep metrics..

4. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    What car do you have - I will go into the warehouse and measure a new filter

MW

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

It's an 86 TR. - again, thanks! If the filters are damaged, I'll be buying a pair from you.

6. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Tried to replace mine ('82 GTSi) when I did a proactive F/P and accumulator replacement. Large socket and breaker bar= badly twisted fuel tank, it became obvious that I would twist the tank until it ripped open before the in-tank filter would break free. On close inspection mine looked like it had thread sealer on it. I blew air back through the hose into the tank to clear any debris that may have gathered around filter.

At some point in the future I will remove tank, fill it with water, heat the threads to break the sealer bond, and replace it then. I want to say 27mm socket, but not sure....

7. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Sadly we are out of stock of the filters that fit your car so I can't give you a reliable socket size. My gut feeling is 24mm - I checked some filters that fit 308 / 328 and they are 24mm.

Before you attempt to remove them it may be a good idea to trace a couple of filters just incase you damage them on removal.

I will do a world wide search of all the Ferrari importers to see if there are any about.

MW

8. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Okay - the original part number for the filter is 122790, I have found these in Germany and Holland. However that part number swaps over
    to 136592 and they are available in Switzerland, Holland, Italy and believe it or not FNA has 14 in stock.

MW

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Mark, that is exactly what I was worried about.

If you look closely at the image, you can see a hexagonal nut that appears to be welded to the tank, into which the filter is threaded.

Due to my thoughts that the fittings may be sealed together, just as you wrote, I was thinking that holding a wrench on that nut would prevent the torque from tearing the tank apart. Do your tanks have the same arrangement?

Thanks to you both for any input.