RED 355 Spyder... Raced a White 300zx | FerrariChat

RED 355 Spyder... Raced a White 300zx

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by WhiteOutZ, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WhiteOutZ

WhiteOutZ Rookie

Jan 22, 2004
    I'm just checking to see if there is anyone in here, that owns a 96 355 Spyder with tan interior, that raced a White Nissan 300zx in St.Charles, IL. I just wanted to say good run, but your gonna need more than that to keep up =P

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ahem, welcome to the board and the neigbourhood I guess.

3. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Andreas: Don't you just love it when someone, somewhere, possibly in a 5 liter Mustang groundpounder, or riceburner,or Porch ( yes, that's the way I spell it ) yells out proudly that they just beat a Ferrari !!

O wow........... I'm soooo excited.

But just remember all you Ferraribeaters out there, when your all done racing and so proud of your accomplishment, there is just one thing to keep in mind : You will STILL be driving your hot rod or whatever and that, sir, ain't no FERRARI and never will be.

Ferraris don't have to win -- they just have to SHOW UP.

4. Or you get a Lamborghini Murcialgo or a Enzo and you smoke everything out there besides 1000hp supras and vipers on nos.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    NotRed.You said it ALL. No matter WHAT Challenges you. In the end,it's still Lame. And,a Ferrari is STILL a FERRARI! Win or Lose! You don't even HAVE to race anyone to prove anything when you are in a Ferrari. Last year,I had some Jamoke in some kind of Jap car. (I couldn't tell you what it was,be cause they all look the same). But,the kid goes,"Wanna Race that thing?" I said,"Sure. What kind of car do you want to race me with?" He said."This one". I said,"THAT! THAT! You must be kidding! I only race Exotic cars! My Grandma has a car like that! Get Lost!!!" I laughed all day about that one!!

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    With my Ferrari I'm happy to race ricers. From 1984.
    :)

The funny thing about all this is, that it matters to non Ferrari folks to have raced or beaten a Ferrari. Kinda shows you that the red cars set some benchmark everybody tries to beat. Flattering I think.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  8. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Lol, thats funny that you dont mind being beat by a lame car. So, if a lame car beat you, does that mean your car must be even "lamer"? Getting your arze handed to you by something you deem as inferior. Lol, its just too funny. :)

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it depends on who beats you. If a kid in a NOSed out Supra from 95 beats my stock 308 from 84, do I feel bad about that? Heck no.

If a 84 stock Honda Civic blows by me. Well, ahem, then I guess I start looking for NOS myself.

Cars get better every year. A 250 GTO is pathetic by today's standards. But not in 1962.

Which is btw why I found it so funny in another thread, that a 15 year old Honda NSX deeply troubled a brand new Murcielago. Now THAT is funny. For the Honda driver.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,it's totally unrealistic for someone in a Modern day car to race a 23 year old car,and say; "Uh Huh! I just beat a 23 year old Ferrari! Wow! Am I cool!" Thats asinine! No,they don't say that they just beat a 23 year old Ferrari. Just say that they beat a Ferrari. Besides,here on FERRARI CHAT,we like to exemplify how great we think our cars are. And,IMO,if it doesn't have a Yellow Cavalino badge on the front,It's LAME!!! Remember 2 things: 1. Ferrari doesn't make Minivans. 2. Every Asain car manufacturer,and the Detroit Big 3,make more cars in 1 YEAR,than Ferrari has made in 55 Years. And,THAT is a very special club. And,if someone is even on FERRARI CHAT,in the first place,would agree. And,just as I am not bothered by some schmuck in a New car "Beating" my 23 year old car. I'm not bothered by the "Opinion" of someone who doesn't even own a Ferrari. Especially,when it is on "Ferrari Chat". After all,this is "Ferrari Chat". Not "Rice Chat". (Do they even have one?) Or "Volvo Chat".,or "Porsche Chat",or...blah,blah,blah

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And,I won't go on "Rice Chat" and try to tell everyone that my Ferrari is the Fastest car ever,and can beat anything they throw at me. Because...It can't! It's 23 years old. It has old technology. It isn't as fast as even most family cars that are made nowadays! My 'Vette will BLOW IT AWAY!! (But,not on the highway. The Ferrari is a 'Road car'. Not a Dragster. When 90% of other cars are "topping out". The Ferrari will keep on going faster.) But,one thing I CAN say...It's a FERRARI. 'nuff said! :) Besides. I don't "Street Race" anymore. Too old,Don't want to 'Beat' on my 23 year old Exotic car,AND,enjoying very low Insurance Premiums,because of a good driving record. So,I suppose that I'll never get my "arse handed to me on a plate" by Anyone. And,even IF I did get the urge,I'd rather race something cool,like another Exotic car. Imagine the Pain and Embarrassment of getting caught Drag Racing something like a Ricer. It's really got to be worth it for me to want to race someone. And,so far,I can't see the Value in it. No need. Just gotta 'Cruise' in the Ferrari!

12. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Thats the thing, ppl in general dont know its 23 years old, they dont know its "slow" by todays standards. When ppl think Ferrari, they think blazing fast, and blazing beautiful. Ferrari has a certain prestigous, and some what "holy" pedigree. In aura of charisma. They might not know how much hp they have, they may not know how much insurance is, maintenance, or anything about the car. But, they "know"(or should I say think?) its fast because its called a "Ferrari" They think."oh its a Ferrari its got to be super fast (hey, Ferrari 500 Superfast!!), it even looks super fast" Yes, its 23 years old, but that doesnt matter? They think the same thing you do, "Its a FERRARI!!!"

An example is when I was showing my freind some 308s I was looking into, I asked him, "how much do you think this FERRARI(I emphasized Ferrari)cost?" He replied, 80,000. I laughed "lower" He Kept throwing out 70, 60, 50. I laughed and said, try 25. He couldnt believe me, and told me to "stop lying!" I then asked him what do you think it does in the quarter? He replied with 13s. Shook my head High 15s, he was shocked. The only thing close he got to was the top speed, and it was 10 miles shy of that.

Its just that seven little word.

13. It out handeled it but didnt beat it performance wise the NSX will loose to a stock C32 AMG the NSX only handels extremely well.

I think Ferrari should raise there performance standards designs standards are top notch but perofrmance is looseing Ferrari should atleast be even with Lamborghini's performance.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not to berate the point too much, but my respect for NSX grew tremendously as my respect for Murcies sunk. At the end of the day the only thing that really matters in my book is who crosses the finish line first. I don't care whether you do it with handling, with hp, with NOS, turbos or slicks. And the fact that a 15 year old Honda is capable of giving that much grief to a car not only a lot younger, but with a higher sticker price and more hp is a testament to Honda and a low blow to Lamborghini.

As nice as absolute figures are, I think it is more important to win on the track than on paper. So as long as a F50 is ahead of a Murcie I don't feel too much need for additional speed.

Having said that, I didn't understand Ferrari, that they didn't try to match the Mc Laren's numbers with the Enzo. I read an interview with one of their chief designers and he stated, that they could have, but decided against it. That to me sounded more like sour grapes.

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    O.K.,Chevarri,you do get it.(hey,I could be Chevarri,too. I have a Chevy Corvette and a Ferrari :) ) No,seriously. Back in the day,when I rode Harleys,we had a saying. "If I have to explain.You really wouldn't understand" And,unfortunately,as you said,Thats the problem. Agreed. I still get people who think that my '81 308 is a "New" Ferrari. They don't know. But some kid who wants to race surely should. If he's a true car guy,he'd know. Think it costs $100,000.00. (and,believe me. It took me a LONG time to convince my Ex-Wife that it DIDN'T! :) ) And,that it has 1000 horsepower and will do over 200MPH. (It doesn't,and it won't-unless the guys at Norwood had their way with it :) ) But,after I got mine,I noticed in my Rear view mirror all the time,EVERY FREAKIN' TIME I TAKE IT OUT, some clown speeding up,weaving in and out of traffic,putting life and limb,(not just his) in Danger,JUST to get up close to the Ferrari. Then...THEN...No matter WHAT car he's in.(Mom's,Grandma's,His own,a cab,) Wants to "Race the Ferrari". believe me. When I was younger,I had my fill of street racing. I had a '66GTO,A couple hot Camaro's-'701/2 SS.,and an '81 that was mildly warmed over,to say the least,a '72 'Cuda,'74 Roadrunner,and SEVERAL Corvettes with 383 Strokers in 'em. (got one right now,as a matter of fact. And,I don't even race with that car.) And a couple other cars. But,now that I'm 44,and enjoying VERY reasonable Insurance rates. It gets VERY ANNOYING having some guy,usually a teenager,in ANY car,want to "Race the Ferrari",.EVERY F*CKING TIME I WANT TO GO FOR A NICE,RELAXING DRIVE. EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like Mosquitoes. You keep swatting them away,and they keep coming back! EXACTLY THE SAME!!! And,if I ever decide that I want to risk my driving priveleges so that I CAN'T Drive my Ferrari anymore. And,have my Insurance rates go up. Believe me,It aint gonna be racing anything other than another Exotic car. Win or Lose. Don't matter. It's the Principle! :)

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Hmmm. I've never thought Ferrari's were about straight line performance. There are quicker cars on the track too (like an Elise). But you know, the shriek at high rpm from the flat plane crank, the roar from the intake manifold from the Webers, the knowledge that the cars was built by skilled artesans and the heritage are what make the difference. I suspect all of us are more of less happy with our cars. And, the NOS'ed/turboed XXX/WHY driver will still want a Ferrari and I'm willing to bet most (if not all) of us wouldn't switch with the other guy.

If you REALLY want to experience your Ferrari as Enzo intended, come to our track day and learn to do with some skilled instruction to make you an even more capable driver. End of plug.

BTW, the 250 GTO was a low 13s car @ 113 mph with a tall rear axle ratio according to my 1963 road test.

One more. Read the fabulous article in the lastest Forza describing the 4.9L Ferrari used in the 1950s era Mexican race. Top speed? 208 mph. On bad roads. Now, that's takes a certain constitution with the drum brakes of the day. Even a Supra with the toys would be hard pressed to live with the 50 year old Ferrari...
    Philip

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No doubt about the 1950's Ferrari. It must have been scary as all Hell going that fast,with that old steering and suspension. But,I am absolutely satisfied with my 308 just how it is. It's plenty fast for what I do with it,(Cruising). If I get the Urge to go really fast,I will take up Philip's suggestion and do it at the Track. Where it belongs. Not on the street,putting innocent lives in jeopardy. I once saw 2 total assh*les in AMG Mercedes speeding on the Eisenhower,in Moderate traffic,passing on the shoulder and weaving in and out of traffic,barely missing other cars. They were doing WELL over 100MPH. I was kind of hoping to see them pulled over ahead by a Cop,or,smashed into the viaduct so that everyone else would have been safe. What total asswipes! That is absolute stupidity. Guys like that need a little "attitude adjustment"...with a baseball bat! (and...AND...to their cars!! :))

18. I really dont care that much for performance but being beaten by cars half the price with half the looks and power is pathetic for Ferrari. Lamborghini on the other hand is like the unbeaten figher it looks great performs great and has it all. Racing stock natrually aspired Exotics against 1000hp supras or vipers on NOS isnt really a race. I didnt see the NSX vs Murcialgo is it a video ? was the NSX modded the NSX is a slow car but handels very good unless its modded it really cant stand a chance even against a stock M3. An F50 was beat at the players run or at the gumball 2003 by Lonmans 996 of the line.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've always liked the NSX,myself. But,still not a Ferrari. Regardless. But,for someone to want to compare anything to a Ferrari. They need to compare to a 360,or a 575. Not a 308. Like comparing a new '04 or '05 'Vette to an '81 'Vette. NO comparison at all,performance wise,anyway. I would Love to take a 308,and put in all of the 360's goods. THAT would be Cool. Things in the Auto industry were pretty bleak back then,as far as performance was concerned. It wasn't the Top priority because they had the Government breathing down their backs to make cars that got better gas mileage,and less emissions. Performance was a secondary issue. After the Muscle car era,and in the Gas Mileage wars. Pollution wars,etc... Things were pretty crappy. But,as technology advanced. They are now able to make cars that have good gas mileage. Low emissions. AND...Performance. But,it took awhile! It's the same with anything. Electronics,Computers,Phones,Microwaves,etc... Motorcycles. Back in the day,I also owned a 1975 Kawasaki Z1B-900. It had the 1013 kit,and a Kerker Header.(when's the last time you heard THAT!:) ) The "Kaw.900" was THE most revered street bike for a long time. But,then came the Ninja's,The Hyabusa's. No comparison. Newer is better,in some ways. Depends on what you want. I'm watching the Barrett-Jackson auction right now. And,I simply cannot believe what some of these guys are paying for some of these cars. But.. It's what THEY want.

20. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Well, I would think that handling well is pretty important. As the owner of (2) NSX's I am quite fond of them. I will admit that Ferrai makes cars that are much more appealing in terms of 'art on wheels', and the sound is wonderful, but the NSX's are not dogs like many people seem to make them out to be.

Like I said, even as an NSX owner, I am still realistic. The F355 and other Ferraris are much more beautiful cars in terms of design, and I wish that Honda had taken tips from the Italians when designing the update a couple of years ago. But it seems like the judgements by many of you are more based on biases of the car being Japanese and having a lower cost, which means nothing in terms of a quality driving experience.

One last thing I would like to caution you of. If you read through the posts on here the general tone is that just by having a Ferrari you are better than whatever else is on the road. Whatever happened to enthusiasts respecting each other for being enthusiasts?? The superiority things is pretty classless and fosters even more the negative stereotype that people have of Ferrari and exotic car owners. I will have my F355 within 2 years and I could never imagine myself saying some of the things I have heard on here. I hate 'ricers' just as much as the next guy, but price and an emblem does not make any one person better than the next. Thank you for your consideration.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The link to the video is in the General Discussions area where FLATOUTRACING challenges Allanlambo to a duell F50 vs Murcie.

I don't know much about the Murcie, but that video kinda did it for me: The Murcie has the hardest time passing the NSX, even goes off the track. At the front the F50 just sails away to victory. Having seen this video I don't need any more word from any of these Lambo clowns. What is all your HP good for if you can't get it onto the road?

As for the snob attitude: I don't look down on any other brand. I just don't care about any other brand. That's not about being arrogant, that's about how my heart beats. Jack once compared it to looking at beautiful women and I think that's exactly it: I love Ferraris and they interest me. No other car does that for me. But that's not to say other cars aren't great either. The no interest includes Masers, just in case anybody wondered...
    :)

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,meeyatch,I'm not criticizing "ricers". But,As this IS FERRARI CHAT,And I DO own a FERRARI. I like to share my passion with other FERRARI enthusiasts. Who probably wouldn't even be on FERRARI CHAT if they didn't feel the same way. I've owned all sorts of cars over the past 30 years. But,the only 'Import' car that I've ever owned is my Ferrari. But,as far as my American cars go. I'm basically a 'Chevy guy'. But,I've owned 2 Cadillacs,2 Oldsmobiles,2-Pontiacs,1 Buick,3 Fords,and 5 Mopars. (and tons of Chevy's-2 Camaro's,1 Chevelle SS. 1 '65 Impala,and 7 Corvettes and some others.). And,I suppose that if I was on a Corvette site,most of the people would be praising the Corvette. There are alot-maybe even half-of people here on FChat that do not even own a Ferrari. But,if they share the passion,then it's great to see them here,and hopefully,one day they too will realize their dream of owning one. But,I can't tell you how many times that I've sen someone post a thread."Show me your Ferrari". and some guy shows his Supra,Or Accord,or his Trans Am,or whatever,but not a Ferrari. And,they say "Well,I don't have a Ferrari yet,but this is what I do have now". And,no one says,"They said show us your Ferrari,numbnuts,not something else". Also,I'd be more than willing to bet that if I visited a Super Tuner Ricer site. They'd ALL be comparing to Ferrari,and saying how Superior their Brand New Ricer,with NOS,and Coffee can muffler,can smoke a Ferrari-even a 20+ year old Ferrari. Not fair,my man. I am NOT a politically correct puppet of society,and,I call like I see it. And,when I am on FERRARI CHAT,and own a FERRARI. Damn right I'm going to be glorifying my Ferrari Automobile! I don't think thats snobbish,it's just Loving my car,on a site that is FOR my brand of car,FERRARI CHAT,with other people who share the passion of that same type of car. FERRARI! Why are you on this site? Probably because you like Ferrari's,I'm guessing...Do they even have an NSX Chat? I wouldn't go on Ricer chat and try to say that my Ferrari is better. Every Sportscar manufacturer compares their car to Ferrari. An NSX was when it came out. Just look at that pointy front end and side scoops. NOT original! And,just about every article that I read in Car & Driver,Road & Track,etc...about a new sportscar,compare it to a Ferrari. Apparently,Ferrari is the Standard by which all sportscars are compared to. Lastly,I do Not feel that because I own a Ferrari that I am better than anything else on the Road,(Society might,though) But,a Ferrari IS Special. It's not a "run of the mill,every day car",that just anyone can buy and jump into. As I mentioned in an earlier post. Pretty much All Automakers make more cars in 1 year,than Ferrari has made in over 55 years. These cars are the closest thing to a race car,right out of the Factory, than anything else on the road. And,I think that the 50-60 years of racing History back up that statement. What kind of racing "History" does Toyota,Honda,Acura,etc...have? Ah HA!!! Now,we're 'Comparing' again! :)

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    And,one more thing. I would never bumrap any car. They are what they are. But,on the same token,will not stand for anyone bumrapping mine. And,it seems that everyone Tries to Bumrap Ferrari's so that they can think that they have a superior car than a Ferrari. Without having to shell out the money. But,when you say "Ferrari" to anyone,what comes to mind,first? An Exotic sportscar. Nothing else. And,If you are a "Car person",you also think 'Racing' History. But,say Toyota? Corolla,Camry,Minivans,Supra,maybe. Acura? Integra,CL,Minivans. Honda? Accord,Civic,Prelude,Minivans,Motorcycles,lawn mowers,generators. All as small,gas efficient,commuter cars. Or,family cars. And,take a look at the February '04 cover of DuPont registry. It shows the Next Generation NSX. It's got 'Ferrari 360' written all over it!

24. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Thanks Meeyatch1, I thought that the Chicago part of this forum was going to veer off into the personal attack arena that seems to come in waves on the rest of the board. I look a lot, don't post much, as many of the threads are filled with attacks.

that aside... you want to beat me in my 20 year old 308, fine... I'm not THAT old, but I do not have the 17 year old mentality that I must race everyone and prove to the world that my dad bought a Cadillac with a huge V8.

Reality check: I really doubt that the "wanna race a Ferrari" crowd gets the facial cramps that I do from the huge smile I get every time I open my garage door. A Ferrari is a visceral thing; sex on wheels!

25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey,Spike. I checked your profile. Your 308 is Beautiful! I have an '81,Red/Tan.18K miles. But,I also noticed that you list your profession as an ER Doc. And,I'm willing to bet that you've seen the results of useless,obnoxious Street Racing. And,not always just the Participants who suffer the consequences. Also,agree with your description of Ferrari.:) I was watching the Barrett-Jackson auto auction the past 3 days. And,the announcers were saying that they are getting all of these E-Mails asking why there aren't any Toyota's,Honda's,Asian cars. And the announcers said that it's because they made millions of them. They may or may not be a nice car. But,there are just too many of them,and that does not make them collectible. Also,that they aren't "Old enough" to be considered as "Classic" yet. No "Soul",No "History",No Racing History. But,maybe in 20-30 years that might change,but only with cars like the old 240,260,280Z's.Stuff like that. There is a house at the end of my block thats being rented by a bunch of Asian guys who look all to be in their 20's. Every one of them has a tricked out SuperTuner Ricer. With the Ground Effects,front ends,Graphics,Coffee can Mufflers,NOS decals,etc...All are really cool looking cars. But,when I drive past them in the 308. They all stop what they are doing and stare at the Ferrari. Go Figure....