Which do you prefer: F1 or Manual 'box? | FerrariChat

Which do you prefer: F1 or Manual 'box?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MackemX, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Manual or F1 'box

1. Manual

2. F1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MackemX

MackemX Rookie

I have been fortunate enough to drive a manual 348 and 355 and an F1 360. I have to say I much preferred the manuals even though the F1 was fun, I found that no matter how smoothly I tried to pull away the car always jerked forward before moving off. I don't know whether this is a common trait of F1 'boxes or just the car I was driving.

Anyway, which do you prefer?

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    6 speed

3. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Manual any day

4. forzarich

forzarich Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    Dorset, UK
    part of me wanted the novelty of the f1 the other part wanted the pure experience, went F1 in the end and half regret it. Never drove a 360 in anything other than f1 but have driven a 355 and 550 albeit very breifly.

I still like the f1 and every drive out increases my enjoyment of it but it can be a annoying sometimes, great when you're feeling lazy though...

>I found that no matter how smoothly I tried to pull away the car
    >always jerked forward before moving off.
    >I don't know whether this is a common trait of F1 'boxes or just
    >the car I was driving.
    Sounds familiar but you get smoother over time... Worse when cold.

5. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Ive driven both Manual and F1 360,s and while the F1 on the 360 was great fun , I would prob get bored very quickly. I went manual as I love the drive, but on a track day I imagine the F1 is hard beat.

Just my 2pence worth

Joe

6. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Manual all day long !

James

7. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

I have a 355 F1, my advice to any one who wants it would be to stay well clear of the F1 system. It really has spoiled my dream from school days of owning a Ferrari.
    Regards

Stewart

8. MackemX

MackemX Rookie

What's the problem with it Stewart?

I guess "it's just another thing to go wrong" in some cases? Hasn't it been improved on the 360 or something?

9. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I've had a fair bit of experience with the F1 and manual on both cars.

The early F1 boxes on the 355 and 360's were rough and overheated all the time, but this is pretty much sorted out by the second year of production of the 360.

From my experience there were two main problems.

One was that in early models the gear box and clutch were not as robust as they should of been. A lot of the problem can be sorted out by getting the garage to uprate the ECU. This doesn't solve all the problems but goes a long way to help.

Second (and this is not meant as a critisism of any member of this board)
    is drivers not abapting thier driving style to suit the new technology.
    You have to drive the F1 box very differently.
    I wrote a long piece some time ago about driving the F1 box. I can't find it now but if you're interested i'm sure you could search for it.
    But the essence of was BE MORE AGGRESIVE and positive with the changes the car will respond in kind and the changes will be smoother.
    ALWAYS select neutral when stationary even if stopping for only a few seconds. The car does not like to sit still in gear.

Stewart,
    I'm sorry to here the F1 box has spoilt your dream.
    But i'm sure all is not lost.
    I'm sure me and the othe boys on this site can help bring back that dream for you.
    If you bring the car along to one of the meetings i'm sure we could sort you out.

If not there's always therepy.

Good Luck

Wazza

10. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    MackemX,

Jerky starts are a common trait.

As per my post above.
    Put your foot down.
    Let the car know what your trying to do.
    I promise it will stop jumpping like some bloody kangaroo on steriods.

Wazza

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Point well made Warren,

I have not really had enuff experience to comment, and I imagine the answer is to drive the car the WAY that Ferrari Intended.

We are prob responsible for "poodling along and around the local village" but these F1 fitted cars require a different driving approch.

As I said track days must be ace...

A mere Manual driver

ps I luv the bleep of the throttle on the F1 when changing down shift... thats nice!!!

12. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm not sure how many people know how to blip the throttle/double de clutchwith an F1 box.
    The trick is to push the gas paddle down quite hard BEFORE attempting to select higher ratio.
    For example if your travelling behind someone in fourth gear and want to overtake.
    STAY IN FOURTH leave a reasonable gap excellerate stay in fourth
    then flick into third while continueing to push down on the throttle.
    DON' T LIFT.

I hope this helps.
    If not i'll get me coat!!!!!.

Wazza

13. MackemX

MackemX Rookie

FWIW:

When changing up gears on the 360 F1 I drove it was better to treat it like a manual and lift off the gas before changing up. If I changed up with the throttle down the car seemed to drop off before changing up. I remembered that I had read this in a review.

I only had the car for a few hours and I was a bit nervous driving along busy roads so I didn't want to experiment too much!

Incredible car though...

14. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry But that's completely wrong.

If you lift off you're telling the car's computer to prepare to slow down.
    In which case the computer will not bother to try and match the clutch and engine speed.

If you had aready been driving carefully/causiously the cars computer would have already sensed that and prepares the changes much slower for you.

If you are aggresive with the car it will sense that there is someone in the car who wants to play and will responded in like.

Hence quicker response time for any input it recieves.

I know this all sounds a bit farcical but the cars computer is not being a smart arse it's just reacting to all the imputs and making a judgement of your driving style and tries matching them to a bunch of preprogramed defintions it has stored in it's memory.

So the result being if you drive like a nancy boy the car will respond like a right tart !!!!!!!.;)

If you behave like a Schumacher the car will respond like a Formula One car at Spa.(well almost).

The 360 F1's owner manual will also tell you not to lift. although it doesn't go into any great detail.

Wazza

15. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Wazza

Correct me if im wrong here, one of the major benefits of F1 gears is speed and ability to change very quickly.

I never took foot off the gas to change and the acceleration was smooth and extreamly responsive....You dont get that longish delay as with Manual change.

However im practicing on my fast manual changes for future track events.

Wazza,

I think the gear change lights on the Enzo would be cool on the CS steering wheel????

Ill wait for the changeable manual F1 version to become available...now that would be cool..

Joe

16. MackemX

MackemX Rookie

Oops :eek::eek::)

17. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My car too has an adaptive gearbox system, with an ECU containing millions of different shift strategies, and the aggression of the change instantly adapted to your driving mood at that moment. Changes are effected by bio-mechanical pumps. It is a very reliable system, but admittedly not entirely foolproof.

It's called a six-speed manual!

18. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Manual "Hand-Job":D:D:D

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

19. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
  20. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Either that or the driver never lifts foot off clutch when he changes gear!

21. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sounds like a manual and he's double de-clutching. Hence the rev between each change.

22. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I agree with Kevin,
    That's got to be a manual.
    Though just why he need that, I don't know ?!?!?!.

Wazza

23. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I agree, it sounds like a double de-clutch, but why would you double declutch when upshifting? I usually do it when downshifting ('cos it feels nice and sounds horny), but when upshifting surely you would not want to ADD revs to your engine. Maybe you'd double-declutch upwards if you had a burning urge to protect your synchromesh, but surely you wouldn't want to blip the throttle? But you blip the throttle on the way down to match the engine and gearbox speeds?

Perhaps there is a techno-spod-mechanical-type-dude that can answer this, 'cos I suppose I'm surfing on the very edge of my knowledge envelope.

Stig

24. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
  25. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Mechanical or electronic sequential shift please,
    Dale.