Title Sponsor Test Banner... | FerrariChat

Title Sponsor Test Banner...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Looks good, Rob... Do we have a title sponsor...? Are you gonna make it all pretty colors and what not...? :)

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    looks good.Why it even makes me want to buy test banners it looks so good.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL, sorry, I don't have a development region, so you're seeing my development (and mistakes) first hand.

Comments welcome. That banner is 640 by 80, I think I might go to 640 by 60. I will also be centering it and getting rid of the blank space around it.

Yes, Players Run is joining us again, this time as our Title Sponsor through their event this June. I know everyone knows Markus and Players Run quite well. Yes, all the hot girls, yes, all the hot cars (Roland's F40 LM), and jets, and helicopters, and... did I mention the girls?

All of that will be announced over the coming weeks, I'm just working on getting the bugs out of the title banner now.

Please let me know your suggestions. I think it will appear better when we remove the white space, make it shorter by 20 pixels, and get it centered.

It should also only appear at the top of forum thread listings. It shouldn't appear on the main page or an individual thread. Please let me know if you don't see it where it should be or you see it where it shouldn’t.

Thanks,
    rob

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hey, how's Markus doing...? Markus, you there...? Call me, buddy...!

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    no critiques at all. I know how it goes with live testing.

standard banner size is: 468x60. sometimes, I prefer to do it x30, for style.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, at the Texas Running of the Bulls, Markus was there.

I was gonna line up my hot girl, against his hot girl.

But then the BBQ was served, and it might have altered to power to weight ratios, plus humidity was changing fast, effecting various other factors, as well. :)

By the time we got the kids safely out of the way, and were gonna flag off, the local constables dropped by and shut us down.

We went to the Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival, and they left for the County Fairgrounds to see Mel Tillis.

All that was left was those Shield logos, blowing in the wind.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's the type of feedback I'm looking for. If no one has less than a 640 resolution though, I think taking up more white space is preferable.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    It's not working in all the threads, or on all the pages. Should it be?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    "It should also only appear at the top of forum thread listings. It shouldn't appear on the main page or an individual thread. "

Levels...

Main Page
    |- Individual Forum Page (only place where title sponsor banner shows)
    --|- Individual Thread Page

10. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I kind of think all of your sponsers should have that top spot. They all contribute to our use of ferrarichat and I think deserve a larger presence. Have them automatically rotate but have them larger. It just seems they pay enough and are kind enough to sponser this great site so give them even more exposure so people dont miss them up in the left corner. It seems a lot of people need to be told to check the sponsers page, but maybe if they were all in your title sponser slot they would be recognized more and thats a good thing since there good enough to sponser this great site. Just a thought.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Actually, I agree that I would love more sponsors to get as much exposure as possible, although there needs to be a balance. When I started FC I only intended to have one level of sponsorship and I think the current banner size and placement works perfect. It's space that wouldn't really of been used anyway and it's noticeable, but not intrusive. Actually, the most value a sponsor gets is from being allowed to post commercial messages and just being "on the list". Being on the list as a sponsor makes you one of the first places another user will recommend. I think the banner is very secondary.

The title sponsor spot is hopefully implementing a banner that isn't intrusive. The real value the title sponsor will receive is a dedicated email to all users once a month, top listing on newsletter sponsor section, and top listing on sponsors page.

Just coming up with a good balance to pay the bills, but not intrude on users. That's why you don't see more advertising than we already have and especially no pop ups or spam email.

12. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Yes that sounds good to, and it is your site to do as you please. I just dont want to see any sponsors leave or get discouraged. I would like them to stay and stick around so that helps keep this site going and helps take care of the bills. I noticed a post from racedeck that seemed a bit discouraging. If the sponsors are happy then im sure you will be happy in return and things will progress nicely. Can you get the sponsers to rotate like they used to do on the old site or is there just something wrong on my end?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The sponsor banner changes everytime you change your view, or it should. Does for me and most users.

About 10% of the sponsors try it for a few months and decide they're not getting enough value out of it. I'm pretty good about knowing whether a sponsor will be successful on FC or not. I turn many away, even if they're interested in sponsoring. I just want to be honest and don't want them wasting their money. Companies that don't require the Ferrari market niche or need a high volume site should advertise elsewhere. End of last year I had 8 sponsors come up for renewal and 7 did so. I think they're mostly happy, but no reason we can't make them really happy.

It will be interesting to see how Carolina Sealcrete develops. I think they have a product that's in demand by our users. It's also not dependent on selling a high volume. I work closely with all sponsors and if we can't get it to work, then I allow them out of their contracts. I want everyone to be happy, users & sponsors.

Title sponsor presence shouldn't take anything away from associate sponsors.

14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills

Well if that is the case, I will make a banner of my girlfriend's boobs actual size for folks with 1024*768 monitors. Would you charge per nipple or...?

Why not have a running ticker tape type thing as well: http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/generaltick.htm you could use it for latest posts, additional featyres, etc...