Question on Ebay Rules and Paypal | FerrariChat

Question on Ebay Rules and Paypal

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JamesH, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    Hopefully there are a few Ebay experts here to answer some of my questions.
    1. Are the Ebay Auctions considered to be legal contracts?
    I just won 2 separate auctions for identical items and the seller told me he only had one of the items. He then emailed me and said he notice I paid for the lesser of the two auction and I should have average the 2 and send him the differance or he will cancel the auction and refund the money I already sent him.
    2. If a seller describes the item incorrectly ("Original Manufacturers Retail Box - NEW-LIKE NEW Condition. Inspected by our highly trained technicians to insure QUALITY. - This is as close to FACTORY SEALED as you can get without paying retail store prices."), and the items came not working and used, should the seller be responsible for the return shipping. He is willing to refund the money, but not to have it shipped back. I was thinking of diputing the charge with my credit card company and send them an email telling them to arrange for the item to be picked up at my house.
    3. Is it true that if using PayPal with a credit card, we lose our rights to have our credit card company reverse the charges on a disputed transaction.
    Yes, I am trying to take the easy way out by asking on this forum instead of spending hours reading the fine print on Ebay and Paypal :)

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you should read all the fine print associated with your paypal agreements. once you pick yourself up off the floor you should close your paypal account :)

under ebay's rules, the guy can't do what he did. you won an auction and paid for it and that's that.

return shipping is between you and him - ebay doesn't care.

whatever you do, make sure he leaves his feedback for you first, so if you want to slam him he can't slam you back.

i bought a rare cd set once on ebay that was listed as "mint", "new still in box" and "shrinkwrapped". it showed up and once i opened it up it was clear that it was used and someone had found a shrinkwrap machine :). the seller was very cool and agreed to refund me the difference for what the things go for "used" -vs- "new" on ebay. good people, but there are no small number of "not good people" on ebay too :(

doody.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's unreal Doody,

A friend of mine won a CD box of Elvis at a Antone's Austin birthday show. Donated by the local record store.

We looked at it, and it was obvious MANY copies had been burned of that baby prior to donation.

Still, the lucky SOB had been there about 15 minutes, while my babe and I drove across Texas to get there!

"Thank ya. Thank ya very much." The King

4. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    a few things i always do and have never had problems:

check the person's feedback before bidding
    always contact them before the end of the auction in order to get the fullest details on the item
    if you are the seller, leave the feedback as soon as the funds arrive
    if you are the buyer, make sure you get the feedback from the seller first

i've never had problems with paypal so i can't help you there.....