Monterey In August | FerrariChat

Monterey In August

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Lucky Larry, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    I would like to go to Monterey this coming August. We went in 2002 when the Corvette was the featured marque, and since we have a 360 also I think it will be an exciting time. We spent 9 days before and may do the same again. We took in the races, Pebble Beach, the "Italiano Concorso", met some great Corvette people and had a wonderful time.

My point is I would be interested in talking with anyone who might be going, especialy if they're making a driving trip. I'd like to plan accomodations and trip times far in advance. Accomodations can get very scarce quickly.

Send me an e-mail to [email protected] or call me during the week at 972-931-2026 usually after 10 A.M. (Hate to go work too early)

2. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Larry, you better get on the phone and start calling for hotels. I had tenatively planned offering transportation services in our 18 wheeler race transporter which is setup to haul 6 sedans (have to be no taller than 49" and no longer than 14' 8" each.

Dana Gribi, Rob Lay have talked to me about it.

However, hotels are NON-EXISTANT at this point. And unless someone can find hotel rooms at a "reasonable" rate for my crew, we can not go without severely raising the transportation cost to all.

David

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    David, did you try the Embassy Suites?

Larry, you have mail.

Dale

4. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    I'll get on it right away and then post what I come up with.

Thanks

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There are plenty of hotels, but you have to maybe commute 30-50 miles. I'll be doing that Thursday through Saturday night, then I'm at the FCA hotel.

I hope you can work it out David and let me know how many other spots you have available. I know several from Dallas going.

Ohh, try to get Dana's BB entered into the concours, that's one of the best ones I've ever seen.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Hmmm... maybe all the rest of the rooms vanished the last few weeks, but I'd be surprised. There were lots of options when I was checking. HOWEVER, if you want a place with a garage (in which to park your Ferrari), then the pickings are slim... and those may, in fact, be gone.

Similarly, if you are looking for cheap accommodations in town, then those are gone... 'cause they never existed... every hotel in town doubles their rates for that weekend. To get cheaper, look to stay in Salinas or one of the other surrounding towns. I hear the drive in is not bad.

A little insight: Expedia and Orbitz and so on cannot see the rooms that have been blocked out for an organization... and there's tons of events and organizations doing that... so, to get into the hotel that you want, you might need to find which event to sign up for so that you can get into their block.

Also: Watch out for the cancellation policies. I called the Marriott across from the FCA host hotel... as best I could tell from the receptionist, there was no cancelling!

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'm still debating... drive OR ship the car and fly. The main issue being whether I can afford the extra time to drive... and that somewhat depends upon whether my wife is going. Right now, I'd say 75% chance that I drive.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I debated this too. I'm going to (hopefully) pay David to ship the 355 C and maybe the 328 and fly. I can't afford the 2.5 day trip there and the 2.5 trip back. I would be so tired I wouldn't enjoy the event. Plus, the 355 C not the most comfortable for a 1,800 mile trip. :)

Cost wise it's cheaper to fly and get your car shipped than driving the Ferrari. However, the reason you would drive the Ferrari there would be for the great experience, sans cramped quarters - rock chips - no storage space. Although I guess many will ship clothes to the hotel and back.

9. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I have made the trip several times with different cars. The real issue is the really rough roads going west. There are several places in New Mexico and Arizona where the roads or rather nasty. We broke a A/C mount on the last trip and had to go through Needles, Barstow etc. with no A/C.

The nicest trip was going the far Northern route through Colorado, Utah, Nevada etc. Also the roads seemed to be somewhat better.

As for hotels I am sure there are rooms available in Carmel, Monterey etc. It's just a matter of scouring the web sites and calling. I would be surprised if a hotel will not take a cancellation. I have cancelled before about one month before and the hotel was happy that I did. I am sure the rented the room for more than my reservation.

Rodney

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    If any of you decide to drive and need a copilot, let me know. I can't afford the time to attend the whole show, but would be up for a roadtrip out then fly home. If I go, I won't be taking my car.

If you want to drive through CO on the way there I have free lodging and know some amazing back roads.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Rodney, when you get a chance, pls give us a heads up on what road to avoid to NM and AZ.

Thx, DrTax

12. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Brian, I'm not much concerned about accomodations cost, but I would like to be able to park under cover so if you know of any such possibility please let me know. Also, if you do decide to drive please let me know because I intend to "put it on the road" and enjoy it, not save it for the next person. We went in 2002 in the Corvette and thouroughly enjoyed the trip.

As for bad roads we went through some road construction in the mountains in New Mexico because we didn't want to just travel the interstate. I hope the Ferrari is as good, because even though our Corvette is modified and lowered 1/2" we never had a problem.

Stay in touch.

Larry Freeman

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am toying with going and have a 2-car enclosed aluminum trailer, so I could bring cars, wheels, tires, and more. I would have to hire a dirver and was wondering if anyone wants to split the cost. Normal transport is about $1/mile to go enclosed. I figure I could do it for maybe $2k for the additional car. If that is in you price range, let me know, otherwise I may have my car transported instead. I know it isn't cheap, but I figure over $600 for fuel, about $1000 to hire a competent driver, and then there are going to be unavoidable extras, plus th ewear & tear on $70K worth of rig.

[email protected]

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Keith, when I sent out the FCA DFW email, your email above bounced back. Maybe it's working now, but I haven't tried since.

15. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Don't forget about driver hotel too.

The cost for transportation in my brand new 53' race transporter with full 53'x26' awning with closeable side curtains, Yellow/Black checkered flag pattern Kiwi Tile Flooring, Satellite TV/DVD/VCR, Outside Stereo System, Office/Driver's lounge, and light hospitality. Cost is $3500 per car round trip Austin/Laguna/Austin all inclusive. Additionally we will be carrying support equipment and tools. Mechanics available for hire upon request.

You can contact me via [email protected]

We are formulating plan in the next 30 days to see if we have enough interest to take deposits and commit to the event. It's a big undertaking as you might expect it to be. We can currently haul 5 cars and are in the process of redesigning our pit equipment to haul a sixth car. We will have to have exact dimensions of all cars roof height at highest point as well as total length from front to rear bumpers. Being street cars, it is a little tighter due to ride heights for some. 355's are absolutely no problem. However, not sure on a car like a 330. I assume 550s to be no problem, but I've never really measured them except for corner weigh and alignments.

David Moore www.moorespeed.com