Why my F355 sounds different than the others | FerrariChat

Why my F355 sounds different than the others

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Aeroengineman, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I think I know why my F355 sounds different than any of the others. when I took it to Tonkin, I told them whatever they did in the tune-up not to change anything in the timing or an ananomalous finding that would change the sound unless they absolutely had to. They came back to me and said they think they know why it sounds different. Apparently there is a little valve that bleeds hot exhaust into the Catalitic converters to preheat them. There is a little electric pump that drives the hot flow positively into the Cats. Apparently this valve is supposed to shut-off after two minutes when the Cats get warm. Well on my car this valve is stuck in the open position. Consistent with my disdain for political and ecological correctness - I directed them not to fix this valve - Tonkin in-effect assured me that it would have no effect on the way the car runs or the life of my exhaust system without coming out and saying it.

I haven't seen a schematic of this goofy little system to satisfy my own technical curiosity but i have my fingers crossed it will still sound the same. It's just possible that this little system creates a resonance that otherwise isn't there.

2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I thought it was because you had your foot in it! :p

Well, it definately passed the 1/4 mile decible test the last time I was following you Dave. When you get the car back give me a buzz and I'll follow you again through Ravensdale to make sure it sounds 'correct'.
    ;)

DJ

3. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

There could also be the chance that you have a cracked exhaust manifold....
    i would first check to see if you have the newer style air tubes on the manifold. The newer ones are straight while the older ones are curved at the manifold and will sometimes crack at the outer cylinders.
    Also, the manifold might have a hole in it. You will have to take the manifold off to inspect it.(look straight into the pipes)

Good luck to you.

4. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Dave,

When do you get the car back? I think I've heard your car enough to know if there's anything different in the exhaust note after the service.

5. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    We'll have to do lots of testing this year to see if we can detect a difference!

6. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    yo dave this is konnor S (lee's son) i went home to get a screen name for this and got is so thanks for telin me about the website i got to go bye