Slicks for Stradale 19s | FerrariChat

Slicks for Stradale 19s

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Availability? Anyone tried this yet? Thanks, Will

2. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    i'd check with bobwoodmantires.com, but a quick persual and all i could find was 18". nothing larger.

3. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

I was hoping that Michelin would develop the Sport Cups in the 19" Stradale sizes this spring!

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I've only just started to do a little fishing around, but I haven't found anything, either "DOT" competition tires or slicks. Is everyone using the original equipment tires on track?

Hugh, thanks for the reply, Woodman is a good idea, I'll have to call them.

Edit: Don't mean to suggest the P Zero Corsas won't be great; I've never tried a set.

5. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Tests have shown that the Sport Cups outperform the Corsa's and they wear better under track conditions.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Bumping this thread back to the top - trying to reach a pretty small group, so I thought I'd try again. Might start a new thread on the same subject in a week or so. Thanks for the replies so far.

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I'm also interested in the answer to this - I have had intitial feedback that 18" challenge wheels won't fit, so I'm not going to be able to reuse my Challenge rims from my existing car as the brakes are too big :-(

However the following stats are interesting (all from owners.ferrari.com):

360GT:
    Front brake system: Brembo, steel discs 380 x32 mm, 6 pistons
    Rear brake system: Brembo, steel discs 332 x32 mm, 4 pistons

Front rims: 10”x18”, BBS aluminium enbloc
    Rear rims: 11”x18”, BBS aluminium enbloc.
    Front tyres: Pirelli 265/645/18
    Rear tyres: Pirelli 305/680/18

360C
    355 x 32 mm front 4 pistons
    330 x 28 mm rear 4 pistons

Tyres:
    235/645 R18 front and 295/680 R18 rear
    (18" wheels that will fit a standard 360 - I think these are substantially less wide than the 10/11" of the 360GT)

360CS
    380 mm x 34 mm
    350 mm x 34 mm
    Front 225/35 ZR 19
    Rear 285/35 ZR 19

So clearly a 380mm brake disk will fit inside an 18" rim, Unfortunately the 360GT rims are center lock, so no good for a CS. I'm fairly certain there's a solution to this.

Has anyone confirmed for sure that 360C wheels won't fit?

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "so I'm not going to be able to reuse my Challenge rims from my existing car as the brakes are too big :-("

That also was my dealer's guess, though I don't have my car yet. Share your pain, I have a set of 360C wheels and fresh, unmounted Pirelli slicks ready to use ....

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, you might need those calipers to fit as well. ;)

I don't know for a fact they won't fit... but I do know there is very little free space between the CS brakes and the wheel rim. If it does fit, it would have to be paper-thin clearance... and then I'd worry about the effects on cooling.

As for tires, there's not that many manufacturers of slicks... I'd just call each and ask if they have 19's of appropriate dimension... and if not, then I'd ask when they will. And then get some friends to do the same. And so on. That way, maybe there'll be a positive answer by the time you bald your first set of Pirellis.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm definitely hoping the new Kumho V710 will be adding a 19" size soon. Not a slick, but about as close to a slick as a DOT tire can be (just two groves).

10. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #10 dan360, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    [quote:Brian C. Stradale]Well, you might need those calipers to fit as well.[/quote]

:) I tend to believe that they won't fit ->

A couple of pictures - 1st is of a CS wheel...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

yah, but the CS rear rotor is larger than the 360GT setup, and all four corners are thicker on the CS as well. more informative than the particular sizes, would be the respective offsets of all the wheels/fitments. i know that the GT runs a wider track than the street & challenge cars, and that was on account of wheel offset, but i doubt ferrari would re-engineered the hub, and hub spacing, for each car -- if the hub designs/dimensions are similar, than the wheels should be interchangable without aftermarket spacing. i would also imagine that the caliper shape is similar b/w the 360GT and 360CS (might even be the same caliper); the caliper shape will be of paramount importance, and not so much the disk size. lastly, i don't forsee there being too many choices in slicks/r compounds in 19" sizes, so aftermarket 18's might be a good compromise -- if the OEM challenge wheels, indeed, will not fit.

12. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    dan's moved way beyond needing actual functioning brakes.

:)

doody.

13. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #13 dan360, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2nd of my 360 w/ Challenge wheels...

Just look at how much bigger the CS brakes are than the regular 360 brakes. The other aspect is the curvature of the wheels, the CS wheels are much more "bowed" than the challenge 18s - so I do think that Brian is right about the calipers on the CS :-(

Edit.. I can't believe that there were two whole posts between my two that were supposed to be together!

I guess Doody has a point, If I didn't bother with the calipers then I wouldn't have to worry about my v expensive rotors wearing out ;-)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Your right, the stock rotors look a little lost in the challenge rims.

15. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Perfect, perfect day to be on track at Moroso/Cavallino today.

The Stradales I saw all were shod with the original tires. They looked and sounded great.

16. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

Any photo's?? Love to see some of them on the track dicing it up!!

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Sorry, no photos. I'm surprised no one else has posted any shots from the Cavallino.

I'll shoot some today at the concours.