Is any brand of oil best? | FerrariChat

Is any brand of oil best?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bluekawala, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    This may sound a little crazy, but I was wondering if those special oils that advertise lower friction actually help? I believe I saw one of the names as Royal Purple(?), but what ever the brand is they claim 10% lower friction in thier engine, gearbow, and diff oil. I'm curious to know if it might maybe possibly give you... 1HP on the outside? It sounds like b******t, but I thought I'd ask the experts. I'm very skeptical to these claims and I'll probably stick to Mobil One no matter what the real answer is. Thanks for any input

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Since I change my oil every 3 months, it's not as critical for me to have an expensive brand. I went through a rash of flooding problems which contaminates the oil with gas so I was careful to keep it fresh. These days my car runs great and I did buy a better brand of oil last case (Penzoil). Better oils break down slower and are probably better under harsh conditions (racing). Mobil 1 users frequently report more leaks since a synthetic flows better, but it protects cars better unless you don't drive it a lot; then you may be better off with dino oil. I would THINK Mobil 1 is fine for any Ferrari, but you Enzo and F40-50 guys better not blame me if your engine blows from not using your $25 a pint stuff.

Ken

RynoClarke likes this.
  3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I use Valvoline VR1 20-50 Racing in the engine and Redline 75w90 NS gearoil in the transaxle.

When it is cold outside (below 40f ) and the engine oil temp doesn't come up to correcrt operating tempurature I block the oil cooler air inlet with a foam plug. Saves me the hassle of going to a lighter oil in the winter.

The Redline works well in the transaxle eliminating the slow shift to 2nd when cold. It is also reported to have a higher viscosity at 300 degrees f than dino gear oil.

I also change oil every 2 to 3 thousand miles

This is what works for me in my '78 308

DJ

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The best oil IS Royal Purple.

We use it in everything, everywhere.

From critical application air compressors and medgas systems at the hospital, to all our exotics, down to the Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP raging racing go karts of our Child Advocates team.

The best, Royal Purple.

Unless of course you are a Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil fan. HTH

And of course my friend Mario, he likes Texaco Havoline. Sorry, Mario.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I used to use a 20W50 or a 15W50 (can't remember) to protect my engine from the extremes of a) high performance track driving and b) texas summer time temperatures. I had also tried a 50%/50% mix of Mobil 1 0W30 and 20W50 hoping to get about 10W40 oil.

Then I started to use RedLine 10W40. The car started easier in the mornings, oil pressure came up faster, and much to my surprise, the on track oil temperatures went down! (from 280 dF to 265 dF) and the oil pressures remained unchanged. On the other hand, the oil consumption went from negligible to 1 QT every 1,500 miles. Since I was tracking the car about once every three weeks last year, and I change my oil after every other track event, the oil did not stay in the engine very long (average 1,5000 miles).

I like the freer sound the engine makes with the thinner oil. The manual indicates we should use a 10W40 for the F355 (95 manual). Under regular street driving, my F355 has 80 PSI of oil pressure at idle and runs 105 PSI anywhere above 1,500 RPMs. At the track, After a hot session I still see 45 PSI at idle and 90 PSI everywhere above 3000 RPMs. I have planned a track session when the heat comes back to try a 10W30 or 0W30 oil to see what happens.

In my motorcycle I end up using AmsOil (probably 20W50 race oil) and this stuff works much better than the Mobil 1 stuff in an air cooled V-twin Italian motorcycle.

All this leads me to a startling conclusion: If you stick with a quality name brand synthetic {Mobil 1, AmsOil, RedLine, Royal Purple} and change it regularly (3,000), there is no useful difference. At this change interval, there might not even be a difference between synthetics and dino juice.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You said it Mitch.

The race teams use the synthetics, but change it as standard!

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I am with Mitch, use a synthetic, it probably doesn't matter which one, as long as it matches the specs required by the car, and your style of driving.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting comment on drain intervals. In justifying the cost of synthetics, I try to extend the intervals some (aways within car manufacturer recommedations). On my previous Honda Accord, I changed the synthetic oil and filter every 6k miles. Went to 164k before I sold it. Not sure if it would have done the same with dino oil.

On my Ferraris (previous 308 and currrent 328) I change the synthetic oil and filter every 4k miles.

On my new BMW, the factory recommended change interval (factory fill is synthetic) is 15k miles! I saw on a BMW list that someone sent a sample of the oil in at 15k miles to see how good/bad the oil was. It was in fact ready to be changed (numbers were getting "iffy"), but not as bad as one would think. It was good enough that the owner said he would continue with the 15k change intervals.

I decided I will change at 7.5k intervals, just for my own "piece of mind".

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    New engine tolerances are the cause of that.

On these "historical" 3X8s I'd stick closer to the 4K miles interval.

But I'm sponsored by.....................

Royal Purple!!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That, and I hate to work on things.

I'm the DRIVER, man.

'Course I had to buy the team, to get there!

11. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    For the 15k oil change,
    The only thing about changing oil every 15k is that synthetic oil thins out a lot faster than conventional oil. Especially around the 6k mile if you run it hard. I would monitor the oil pressure, if it seems to be lower than normal, change the oil.

12. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    So I take it then that no spacific oil is going to give you increased power or fuel efficiency? Thanks for all the input everyone! :)