Second gear syncro's | FerrariChat

Second gear syncro's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bluekawala, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I'm new to this site, so I appologize if this has been asked before. Ive heard many times that Ferrari's are notorious for having weak second gear synchro's. Or they are atleast hard to get in second gear when the box is cold. What's wrong with the design as this seems to be a problem with several cars? Does anyone have some pics of second gear synchro's? New or broken... strange question but I'd like to compare it to my MGB. I'm sure there's difference's I'm just curious.

2. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I recall seeing a post not too long ago that attributed this problem to a hydraulic pressure caused when gear oil trapped in the housing with the gear selector rod is compressed as the rod is pulled into the second gear position. There was mention of a way to relieve the pressure by drilling a precisely located vent hole. This would cure the hard cold shift into second but not a bad second gear synchro. Sorry but I don't have a picture of a synchro for you.

Andy

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The hydraulic theory is hog wash. I rebuilt my gearbox last year and the only shift fork shaft that enters a blind hole is the 1st/rev one. And only in reverse. I drilled the hole that was suggested and low and behold, it went to the reverse shaft. The 1st to 3rd syncros are the same part number and 4th-5th being the same as one another. One theory, and its the only one that makes sense to me is the ratio spread from 1st to 2nd is greater than 4th to 5th. The spread can be great between 1st to 2nd but you never down shift to 1st until almost at a complete stop so 1st never dies. So, you are left with 2nd and 3rd. You always down shift to second and I think downshifting is harder on a syncro than an upshift so that leaves second dying a slow death.

4. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio