I need a spyware cleaner. | FerrariChat

I need a spyware cleaner.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ekasilicon, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I have downloaded a few different spyware programs, but the only thing they do is search for spyware unless I pay for it. Is there a free program out there that will clean my spyware? Thanks

2. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    http://www.lavasoft.de/ - get the ADAware 6.0 version and then get the updates once you've installed it...works pretty good...

/Dan

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  4. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    I echo the above comments. Adaware6 and SpyBot.

Ive found that Adaware6 seems to be a little better and catch things SpyBoy doesnt.

5. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Just ask Carbon (NNO) about Ad-aware and how well it works

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I run both adaware and spybot plus my usual virus program.

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    AdAware from Lavasoft.com...!

Pat suggested it when he was helping me regain full use of my computer and it took care of EVERYTHING...! My computer is all better and now i can actually get some work done, more efficiently... i love it... Thanks, PAT...!!! :D

8. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
  9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Spybot S&D gets my vote

10. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I just downloaded Spybot and Ad-avare 6.0, we'll see how things go from here. Thanks guys.

11. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I have both on my computer. I have also found that Ad-Aware catched things SpyBot doesnt, but also vice-versa

12. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I ran them both a few minutes ago, my computer is all clean now, and I don't get all of those annoying pop-ups even 30 seconds.

13. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    They are great programs. I mean, you'd always hear people saying 'My computer gets slower day by day', which is technically true if you dont run spyware protection. A business partner of mine was recently complaining about how slow his laptop was running, and I told him to run those programs, and he said the difference after was like comparing night and day (he had run the computer for over 1 year without cleaning off spyware).

14. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Now you need a popup blocker, and you need to defrag your disk drive for even better performance. If you have anything Norton other than Antivirus 200x, remove it. Alos, you can go to trendmicro.com and run their excellent online virus scan. The you'll be all set. And people think Ferraris are high maintenance.

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  16. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    spyware blaster

Uses a different tact to prevent spyware from infecting your registry.

I use ad-aware, spybot, and spyware blaster every day.

Each catches something different. The spyware blaster works better the more you use it.

By the way. If you want true freedom from pop-ups, try the mozilla browser. I have chunked IE into the ashcan....never to be reinstalled on my computer.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glad to see your spyware's been removed.

Recommend all of the above spyware tools + like sduke's wise advice/choice of Mozilla, I use Opera Browser.
    Highly customizable, smokin' fast, no Internet Explorer (World's worst browser) headaches, can set it to handle Popups in 4 different ways: Block/ Accept/ Open in background/ Open requested popups only. Opens up to 20 pages you were on last time you were online, etc. - without having to "save" anything. Brilliant. Too many useful features to list, all good.