Machine Shop in Fairfax, VA | FerrariChat

Machine Shop in Fairfax, VA

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by athomson, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. athomson

athomson Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a machine shop in the nothern Virginia area. I'm looking for alternatives to FoW to rebuild the engine on my 1983 308QV. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. --Andrew

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Am looking for a machine shop near Fairfax as well.

An alternative shop to rebuild the engine would be Grand Touring in Laurel. EXTREMELY experienced and professional. A bit cheaper than FoW, but probably not a lot.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Andrew
    If it were me, I'd buy the service based on the experience of the builder. For example, in the Chicago region, there are shops like David Bean's that build (primarily Lotus) race engines. They'll build you a 10 hour engine or a 100 hour engine (or presumably a 1000 hour engine) and will use whatever technology is required to assess condition and ensure the motor performs in line with specs. I have great respect for the FofX's but most don't have the experience that a reputable engine builder does. Cost for a complete overall? I'd guess $10 - 12K

Alternative is to buy an already rebuilt unit from Ted. $6500 or so on exchange I'd guess.
    Good luck
    Philip