Some things are priceless... | FerrariChat

Some things are priceless...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Modificata, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Two days ago I almost lost my wife.

Wednesday night I got home from from work. She made me dinner and then started complaining about feeling sick. Ten minutes later she started to vomit. Not food but blood. She collapsed on the floor with seconds and then continued to vomit every few minutes.

Luckily the ambulance service sent out a car which arrived after just 4 minutes of calling them. The ambulance arrived after 10. We got her to A&E where she continued to vomit blood and blood clots. They got the hospital's top Gastro specilist out of bed to perform an immediate Endoscopy. Within two hours he had stopped the bleeding, which turned out to be a blood vessel in the stomach area.

When she arrived in A&E they immediately started to give her blood. By yesterday midday she had taken about 10 bags of blood. The doctor told me today that a person of her size would have a natural blood amount of the equivelent of about 10-11 bags. This meant that in the two hours before the bleeding was stopped, had she not been given a blood transfusion she would have lost all her blood.

Today the doctors performed a second Endoscopy, and the results were very good. The bleeding was completely stopped the first time, and the damage is healing well.

If I had been 15 minutes late in getting home that night, she would almost certainly have died. Some things are just priceless...

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Glad to hear she's going to be OK

a very good reason to continue giving blood (or start if you don't already)

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks Andrew. I totally agree on the subject of giving blood, but you never realise how important it is until you need it. Like they say in the advert you just take it for granted...

4. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Wow.

I'm stunned.

Get well soon !

To your wife please

Wazza

5. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Adnaan,

Shocked to read your post, but I wish your wife the very best in her recovery, and I hope she has the srength to recover quickly. Have they said how soon she'll be back on her feet? Do they know what caused the hemorrhage; was a rupture or an embolism?

It is experiences like this that illustrates that our sojourn on this plane is both brief and, at times, precarious, so it is encumbent upon us all to treasure who we have around us, and enjoy life to it's fullest.

This will certainly put your "will I or won't I buy a Mondial" into perspective!

Be lucky,

Stig

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The two of you are going to hold each other much closer. Best wishes for her speedy return to health.

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Wazza/Sletti/Wax

Wazza - You said stunned. When I left the hospital in the early morning after we took her in, thats when it hit me. I couldnt drive for the first few minutes.

Thanks for the well wishes. Hopefully she should be out of hospital some time next week, but she is going to have to take it easy after that. Luckily we have a lot of family around so someone will always be at home to help her and look after the baby when she gets home.

The basically said it caused due to a Portal vein Thrombosis (I think thats correct), which is a blockage of the vein from the liver to the splien. This itself is not as serious as it sounds, as other veins can carry the blood flow, but it was one of the other veins that developed a node that eventually burst.

As for the car, you are right. Makes the whole thing seem totally irrelivent. Not just that but im flying to NY next saturday for two weeks on business. I was planning on finalising the deal today, and setting up the PPI before I fly. Im not sure if i'll just wait till I return now, or speak to Verdi and the vendor to arrange it while im in NY. Or option three put the whole thing on ice until I get back. Wife says go and arrange it with Verdi. What a woman!

8. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Adnaan,may i wish your wife a speedy recovery back to full health,
    my dad had the same thing two years ago,
    all the best to you,
    Dale.

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Chris

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Adnaan,
    Thank God your wife is ok. Very best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. Make sure you take it east too.This type of shock may take a few days to hit home.
    Regards and best wishes
    Tony Hopkins.

11. MOD500

MOD500 Guest

Was totally shocked when I read your description of what happened to your wife.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Go for the razzer!!!!

Best wishes to you and your family.

MOD.

12. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Adnaan,

Im sorry to hear about yr wife, But extremly happy to hear all is well and on the mend. Please give her my regards to a speedy and full recovery,.

You know we all take life for granted, and these things really do make you realise how precious it really is.

Live life to the full thats what I say, cos you just never know just whats round the corner.

All the best adnaan, I wish you and yr wife well ....

Joe

13. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Adnaan

My family and i echo the thoughts and sentiments that have been.

Our thoughts are with you and yours.

Regards
    Stewart

14. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Guys

I big thanks for all the well wishes and kind words. I just got back from the hospital and the wife is feeling and looking much better. She is still a bit weak, but its hard to imagine that she has been through so much in the last few days.

I told her about all your well wishes and she very grateful. She wanted to say thanks..

She's been moved out of Intensive care and into a normal ward. Plus shes feeling well enough to walk a little, and had her first proper meal in days. The doctors said to expect a speedy recovery, and as long as she's well enough they should discharge her on about Tuesday.

Something like this makes you think about a lot of things. What would have happend if I wasnt there. What would have happended if the ambulance didnt arrive on time. What would have happened if the blood was not available. I can thank the doctors, nurses, and ambulance crew, but I cant thank those individuals enough who donated their blood. Yes I can. I can give blood to others who may die without it.

Finally I am a religious man, so I give my thanks to God for saving her. I may be sounding a bit philosophical but I make no apologies. Its just the way i feel.

15. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Sorry to hear about your wife, Adnaan, but happier that she is recovering..sounds like an absolute nightmare..puts things in to perspective.

16. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Adnaan,
    glad to hear your wife will be coming home v. soon.
    Best wishes to you both.
    Tony

17. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good grief. What a truly horrible experience. Glad everything has settled down now. I presume they have checked everything for underlying causes, though it can be difficult with PVT since it could be many things. Main thing is that everything's stable now. My best wishes.

Kevin

18. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Adnaan,
    Really shocked to read this.
    I hope she is home soon & makes a speedy recovery.

Phil

19. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks again to the new posters. She slightly improved again today, but lets see what the doctors say when they do their rounds.

20. CraigW

CraigW Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    London
    Full Name:
    Craig Williams
    sounds extremely frightening Adnaan, all the very best for a fast recovery for your wife.

21. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    What an appalling experience. Can't really think of anything else to say....
    Adnaan - my absolute best wishes go out to your wife and you - take care of yourselves.

Manu

22. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Adnaan Hope your wife recovers fast and alls well.

23. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A truly horrible experience, and I can only imagine how you must have felt. I am very glad to hear that she is making a speedy recovery. Make sure you both take it easy.

Best wishes to you,

Robert.

24. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I can only echo the previous posts and wish you both the best of luck in the future.

Andy.