Does It Make Sense To Own in The City? | FerrariChat

Does It Make Sense To Own in The City?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I've recently moved back to Manhattan after spending some time in the Midwest. I'm seriously looking at a 550 given where prices have come down to. Was wondering, though, if it makes sense to own a Ferrari in the City. Obviously one doesn't need one here given ease of transporation, but then again, the issue is not one of practicality, since Ferrari's are never used for utilitarian purposes anyways. I'm more focused on things like cost of insurance, parking (which I know has been addressed in another thread), but perhaps, most importantly, where does one drive the car. I've been paying particular attention to the state of the roads in the city with my purchase in mind, and must admit the potholed surfaces make me shudder. Where do Manhattanites with Ferrari cars drive their babies??

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards.

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I'm sure Hubert will chime in. He keeps his 360 in the city with him and I know he drives it. :)

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Talk to Rijk, also, who keeps a Daytona in Manhattan. When i lived in the area (Brooklyn Heights), i rented two garage spaces adjacent to each other, right next to the guard both in a clean, well-lit modern public garage. The other space held our daily driver, so i could have some safety in parking a ferrari; otherwise, you might try to find somebody willing to rent you space in a private garage.

I rarely drove the car in the city, only to get out of town to go driving elsewhere. North of the city, there are some wonderful roads. I moved out of the city and now live north, in the "country." It is probably even easier to find decent garage space up here, if you are willing to rely on some other form of transportation to get you to your car.

4. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G
    You could drive it up to Bear Montain and back. Very nice drive when it's nice out, and not too many cops either.

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I'm looking forward to hearing what both Hubert and Rijik have to say. Thanks Azzurro328.

whart's comments suggest what I thought earlier on: that one really does have to take the car out of the city to enjoy it. On one hand, that would almost be a foregone conclusion, given the limited space within the city, but on the other hand I'm wondering how "far" does one have to drive out? Ie, do you have to deal with a 45 minute commute before you can really stretch the car's legs, or is it simply a matter of hopping one of the bridges?

I'm not very familiar with the surrounding neighborhoods around Manhattan. Is Bear Mountain far? Do Manhattanites organize Ferrari drives? Would appreciate your continued input.

Regards.

6. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I have a '95 VW Golf that I use specifically for driving in NYC. I don't really care about dings, dents, etc. Between the cabs, the condition of the streets, cyclists, and other drivers, I think its crazy to drive any expensive car in Manhattan, much less an exotic like a Ferrari. It will be trashed in a few years.

While I think its possible to safely store a Ferrari in the city, (that depends on the quality of the parking garage) there are plenty of places to drive outside of NYC.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    You don't have to go too far out of the city for a great drive. If you wanted to stay within the city environs, you could take a cruise down along the Verazzano Narrows (one of the most spectacular places in our area) and wind up out at the beach; Jones Beach, off season, is a nice drive, and if you get the urge to go out to Montauk or the Hamptons (also off-season is better in my estimation), you can do that too.

North of the city, its pretty easy. You can take any number of different highways to get north. One nice way, barring traffic, is simply to go up the west side highway. It will take you thru some beautiful "s's" unfortunately marked as a 30mph zone, but at least its nice roadway for an urban setting. Just keep going north, from there it turns into the Henry Hudson, after crossing a toll bridge, and eventually, into the Saw Mill Parkway. That will get you north pretty quickly. I know a number of backroutes once you get as far north as Tarrytown; for example, take 448 out of Tarrytown, puts you onto the Rockefeller estate, gorgeous scenery, follow that road to 100 north, which takes you to the resevoirs; 100 can take you to rt.35, and then to rt 22, which you can run north or south with some pleasure.

Bear Mtn. is most easily reached from the city by taking the Palisades Pkwy off the G-Washington Bridge. Once up into the Bear Mtn. area, say 35 miles or so north of the bridge, you have a huge number of options. Likewise, Rt 17, going toward the Catskills can be fun, as are alot of the backroads, in the immediate area of Bear Mtn. There is a route along Rt.6 that hugs the mountain, and you feel like you are driving in the Alps.
    Or, take the road 9W up thru Stormking, and get off on Rt 218, north of West Point, the road also hugs the mountain along the river, great twisties, and a nice place to stop for a view of Bannerman's Island (an old fortress and armory out in the middle of the Hudson River).

Glad to show you some routes when the weather clears.

8. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    Granted I don't own a Ferrari, but I can speak to owning a car in the city.

Rule # 1 -- nobody who lives in Manhattan needs to own a car. In fact, owning a car in Manhattan is impractical, expensive, and by all rational judgment a complete waste of time and money. However, if you are like me, have a strong love for city living (I could live nowhere else) and an insatiable love of cars (from age 17 to now/27, there has only been a period of 6 months in which I did not own a sportscar and all that time I lived in a major metropolitan city) none of these things matter. However, prepare to lambasted by fellow Manhattanites who think you are completely out of your gourd. Additionally (as with owning a Ferrari) you will have to "pay to play" so to speak.

Rule # 2 -- you will want an indoor (preferably assigned spot) garage parking. Additionally, if possible, one sans parking valet is best. Whatever you do, you cannot park a car with painted bumpers and nose on the street at all, period.

Rule # 3 -- the garage should be close to where you live. When I was @ NYU for my undergrad, I found a very reasonably priced garage @ 125th St. Obviously this was a bit of a hike, even when I left the dorms and moved into my apartment on 112th and Riverside. Ideally a garage in close proximity of your home is best, as this will allow you to make much more use of your car. Besides being much more practical (do you really want to bum rides to drive your car?), it will allow you to enjoy your car that much more by allowing easy access to it. Finally, by having the car so close it will discourage you from leaving it on the street.

As for places to drive -- not to worry there are many scenic routes, and plenty of twisty roads. However, you are missing the biggest and most appealing thing about owning a car in the city: YOU OWN A CAR *IN* THE CITY! Not only is just any old car, it is a Ferrari! Now if you couple that with a garage close by with an assigned spot, you'll be able to hop in your car at your convieniance and take a spin through the city. I can't tell you how much fun I had hoping in my car with my gf taking the top off and driving around the city after rush hour had passed. Or taking the car to pick up take out. Or heading downtown to the clubs and to hassle the hookers with my friends :) Driving in Manhattan can be a ton of fun. The things you get to see and experience are almost beyond amazement. Not to mention, that we would take the car and go to Westchester to catch a movie (free parking in a good lot), get dinner, or do some shopping. As long as you follow the three posted rules, you will truly enjoy living in the city and owning a car in the city.

Any other questions, about Manhattan and car ownership feel free to ask.

Good luck!

-N

PS - I did recently break rule #2 when I drove my Z06 into the city. Here is a picture of her parked on Riverside Drive and 110th st: http://nabbs.fbody.com/NYC/images/P2271364.JPG.

9. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Great topic, and great answers guys!

I have to agree with Nabbs on this one -- between the subways, busses, and taxis, there's no legitimate reason to own a car in the city, but WHO CARES!!??? :D

I'm another car-obsessed Manhattanite, and despite the problems (I've gotten keyed, windows smashed twice, and door handle ripped off, but I park my Jetta on the street and that's the price I pay) it's STILL worth it to me. Also, parking in a garage would solve most of those problems (they've all happened overnight), but I refuse to pay $300 / month for a garage when the Jetta itself only costs $250 / month ... ;) But a 550 (or the 360 that's on its way) is another matter, so the garage should be no problem.

Also -- and I'm not the type that uses cars to impress women -- but it's still fun to go out on a date and say "I'll pick you up at X" ... they couldn't care less if it were a VW, a Ferrari, or a Yugo ... girls LOVE driving around in the city.

As for where to drive, great suggestions whart...! I'm a big fan of the West Side Highway...it's a fun little sprint when the traffic's good. Another great drive is up the Bronx River Parkway out towards White Plains -- tiny little 2-lane twisty that's tons and tons of fun.

So in summary ... get a 550, and come driving with me.

nlh

10. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    the conditions of nyc roads are so abysmal - huge potholes, poor surfaces and a thick layer of salt for so much of the year - they will pound the snot out of a checker metropolitan, much less a ferrari!

dating a girl on the other side of brooklyn has given me square fuchs on the p-car..

the west side highway is not so bad, as long as you get up and out of gotham.

11. Nabbs

Nabbs Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Naveed
    aw shucks...

I live in Boston and drive to Cambridge, yes the roads are terrible, but as long as the weather is pleasant I'll drive the Z as often as possible.

I would do the same with a Ferrari. Personally, I am not one who enjoys watching my car sit on a carpeted garage in a plastic bubble.

If you can't drive your car semi-daily, what fun is it?

The streets in Manhattan are perfectlly driveable. I've had a number of low sportscars in Manhattan, and now Boston.

-N

12. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I gotta agree with Nabbs on this one. I think the roads in Manhattan / Boston are way overrated for their crappiness (or underrated? heh).

Sure, there are potholes, and if you're silly enough to drive right through them then you probably deserve the damage you get (and I am more than guilty of that on severl occasions).

But generally, if you pay attention to where you're going, the roads are more than fine. And yeah, there's salt on the roads for a few days following a snow storm, but other than that things are fine.

13. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    If it's in your heart, in your blood, in your soul.............YES.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great answers guys. Sorry for the delayed response, but I was away travelling . Will certainly think about it.

Regards.

15. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    You should not be afraid at all to own a Ferrari in NYC. Last time I heard from the guy who hauls F cars for Ferrari of Long Island, there are about 20-30 ferraris in the city. SO that alone should make you feel at ease.

THe roads in Manhattan I can say have gotten a lot better in the past 2 years. Less pot holes and lots of new repaved sections.

Parking:
    I suggest that you pay for your own personal parking space. Yes you will have to pay more first of all because it is a Ferrari and also because you want your own personal space for you car. Aside from picking out a spot that will keep your car safe from foot traffic and the hustle and bustle of moving cars in and out of spaces, get a spot where there is an electric outlet closeby. That way, you will be able to use your battery tender during the winter. It will save you lots of headaches in the winter.

Definitely get a parking space in a garage that is VERY close to you. Just to keep your mind at peace, you can walk by it every day to check up on it. ALSO, make sure the garage allows you to put a car cover on. THey might give you a b/s excuse saying that if you have a cover on your car, they won't move it if there is a fire cuz it will take to long. Whatever the case, make sure u use a car cover for your Ferrari.

And most importantly, drive the car!!! Just because it rains and snows, drive the baby!

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Thanks for your thoughts Hubert -- it's good to hear from somebody who has one in the city. Coincidentally, we've got a new member to the forum that is also a city owner (Black 355B) and who has been very helpful in providing me with information on keeping a car here. I'll let him introduce himself...

Vik.