Sinister sound from 328. What could it be? | FerrariChat

Sinister sound from 328. What could it be?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Morrie, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I put this on the general discussion thread earlier. It should have been here instead:

A couple minutes after I started it today, I heard a growling sound from the right fender duct. It sounded like a fan with a bad bearing. It started suddenly, ran about 15 seconds and quit just as suddenly, before I could get the hood up.

This is near where the timing belt and pulleys are located. The car had major belt service less than 2,000 miles ago.

Is there anything else in this area which could be the culprit?

Thanks

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I don't know how cold it is where you are, but I had just started my '85 308 this week in very cold weather, after several weeks of non-use, and I was alarmed by the same kind of sound. It sounded almost like ball-bearings being swished around in a cup--very scary. In my case, it turned out to be noise from the very cold accessory belts. Once the car warmed up, it stopped. I consulted 2 very good Ferrari mechanics about this and that's what their conclusion was. I was told that the belts can sound pretty loud when it's very cold--in this area, it's been below zero nearly every night for the past month!

3. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Possibly cold belt slap. Happens to most 3x8's when it is cold from what I hear.

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Their are lots of possibilities in that area, water pump/pulley tensioner, alternator/belt and A/C pulley/compressor.

Then also timing belt tensioners, cam bearings etc.

Do a visual inspection on all your belts for condition also.