buying on ebay | FerrariChat

buying on ebay

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tatcat, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    has anyone purchased their car on ebay? did you go check the car first? was it a good deal? how is it?

2. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    In my opinion is not possible to truly buy a car off ebay. You will need to use it as a way to find a seller and then do a buy off line, do the inspection, trade money for car while you are there or maybe a real dealer is selling the car. A true, all on line purchase via ebay would be insane. Also, be aware, ebay won't lift a finger when problems arise.

3. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I did several times and had good and bad experiences. One may result in a lawsuit soon. That stems more of the seller being a dikc than the car not being right.

Have a PPI done, do everything you would do when buying from anybody else.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Martin....

Did your 348 Challenge deal go sideways ? The one where you posted here about the seller a week or two ago ?

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    You can say that loud!

You should see the e-mails he is sending me. I am sure a judge will be most pleased with his conduct online especially in a defamation suit where he claims I have tarnished his good name.

Of course I will contersue for specific performance.
    He does not quite know who he is dealing with.
    :)

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Sorry to hear that. You never said anything wrong in your posts here either IMHO.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I recently purchased a Boxer that had been on eBay for months. But... I did not ever bid on it. I contacted the owner after the last auction had ended (without his reserve being met) and worked out a tenative price over the phone. I then had a well known Ferrari shop inspect the car prior to sending a deposit. After the car checked out fine, I sent him a relatively small deposit and had the trucking company deliver the cashiers check balance when the car was picked up. Everything worked out very well and I am VERY pleased with the car. See my profile a picture of it.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Bought my Mondial last year on EBay. Like others have mentioned, i simply called the dealer an at that point we bypassed the Ebay.
    There is not enough time to do due diligence from out of state with the auction premise i think.

9. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    We've bought 3 porsches, and other cars and then sold them by 'listing' them on E-Bay, I bought my 348 from a listing too.
    E-Bay works like a ad,.. don't bid but e-mail the seller and talk to each other off-line.

Dealers use e-bay a lot and there its a bit trickier. Get feed back from other buyers in the area if you can otherwise..get on the plane.

10. jchiarella

jchiarella Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I recently sold my 355. I Originally tried an ad on this site with no results and then ran Ads in newspapers and Autotrader with very little response. I then tried Ebay and had a very good response as a listing tool not as a selling tool! I had to deal with a few people that wanted something for nothing mentality, but the Ebay listing did lead to a qualified buyer who latter remarked he was surprised he bought a F-car listed on Ebay.

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Found my Challenge car on e-Bay, then concluded the purchase offline. Had a similar experience selling a race car - eBay drew inquiries, and finally one offline buyer. When selling, I offered a right of post auction inspection/free walkaway, hoping to lend credibility to the car.

For a short eBay story, see my separate post.