Do you play car games on PC/consoles ? | FerrariChat

Do you play car games on PC/consoles ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ze_shark, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you play car games on PC/consoles ?

1. Never

2. Sometimes

3. Frequently

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    A quick market study on car nuts and their attitude towards placebos ...
    Are you a PC/Playstation/X-Box car game user or fan ?

2. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Xbox: Halo
    PS2: GT3 or GTA3/Vice City
    Win: C&C Red Alert 2

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I have PlayStation and PS2.

And I buy quite a few driving/racing games.
    However, they all tend to be a let down to me, so I don't play them much at all. No game has ever given me any sense of feel coming into a corner... if I have to watch the speedo to have any clue how much to brake, then the game is just not simulating life very well.

But it is fun to drive an actual track ... I like to do that right before an F1 race... get a "feel" for the track I'll be watching.

4. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I used to play F1 Racing about 3 years ago on PC.

I played Project Gotham Racing on the XBox when they both came out (late 2001), and bought Project Gotham Racing 2 about a month ago: so far, IMO, it's the best racing game ever.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I have to second that on the Project Gotham Racing 2.
    That game is pretty cool. Finally a racing game with classic ferraris on it. The 246 Dino, 250 and 275 ferrari's are awesome! I wonder if the sound of the engines is accurate?

6. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    project gotham racing 2 is probally one of the best games there is for car people. There are jsut soooo many different types of cars on there from all different time periods.

7. tigermilk

tigermilk Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    James P. Smith
    You bet. Currently like to whip up on some of the Fchatters online in PGR2. I've got probably close to 100 driving games for PC/PSX/PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/GC/...

Best of the bunch would be PGR2, NASCAR Heat 2002 (best physics and AI around), the IRL game, F355 on the DC, Vanishing Point on the DC.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Xbox PG2... a real race sim, NOT a "game" per se.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    All cars in the game had their engines professionally sound-recorded. I have a few photos of a Pagani Zonda hooked up with all their recording microphones and computers; I also remember reading about it from one of the game developers on the Bizarre Creations forum.

Yes, the car handling is the best I have ever experienced in a game.

Also, the environments are real-world. Meaning that the developers went to the locations in the games (both PGR and PGR2) and took thousands of photos, not to mention the use of city plans, to design the game environments.

It really has to be seen to be believed; the detail is incredible.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I do know that the 355 and the TR are accurate. They were recorded using a friend of mines 355 w/tubi-testpipes and his 512TR w/tubi-testpipes. I guess everybody up in Seattle either works for or has worked for MS, or at least knows somebody who does! :) LOL!

Dave

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Whenever there is a real GP going on I do my own 15% length version of it on Grand Prix 4 in my sim.

I guess that could be called 'frequently', given the fact that I mimick the qualifying and practice sessions...
    :)

12. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    graphically, it will never touch PG2 but sports car GT is an AWESOME sim for pc guys.... play over a network too :)

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Sound should be accurate. Several local FCA members contributed in the making of the game.

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Pc games for me.I'm in a F1 league so I spend quite a bit of time on it.I don't play the nascar game as much but it's a excellent sim.

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Are you driving the game from inside the car (driver's perspective) or not? How accurate are the cars' physics modelled?

16. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    PS1 +PS2

Gran turismo 1 + 2
    Mille Miglia
    Collin MC Rae 1+2+3
    Ferrari challenge
    WRC
    F1
    V-rally 1+2

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I got the game but I don't play it much. The 360 driving experience seemed fair (might be better if I have a force-feedback steering wheel instead of gamepad). I use the outside view to learn the tracks.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Now THAT is an interesting statement coming from a 360 owner. Thanks. Now you got me interested. Have to look into that game.

I remember 355 Challenge for the arcade and read an article with the developer who put a lot of effort into it to make it realistic (he took his whole programmer team out to a track where they drove real 355). Unfortunately that game never made it to the PC, only to the Dreamcast. I played it on Dreamcast a few times but got very annoyed with the console 'rules' where you can't really store your setups and have to 'earn' other tracks and crap like that.

19. udalmia

udalmia Guest

always cheat codes for that tifosi ;)

20. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Yes, but never driving game or just to see it.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I know. Otherwise I would have never made it to Fiorano.

I just hate the fiddle with the silly console trying to enter letters by selecting them from a rolling drum. PCs are so much more convenient, you enter the stuff through the keyboard and the hard drive stores it once and for all. The memory batteries on my dreamcast lasted a few weeks, then all data was gone again. Just a pain.

22. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    PS2 allows to connect a keyboard, doesn't it ?

23. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FYI, F355 Challenge is also out for PS2. Not just for D/cast. Hell, F355 is the ONLY reason I bought a D/cast in the first place.

Dave

24. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Im huge with the EA sports F1 2001 game. Ive done a few seasons with it (won both :)) and now Im working on a season in a freeware add-on for the game htat gives you all the different Le Mans cars for all the different classes. Im working on modifying the textures of a 333sp to become the Fchat race car. I am thinking about even putting the Fchat sponsors logos on hte car for fun :)

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting, I didn't know about the PS2. But PS2 doesn't have Gotham Project, does it?

F355 Challenge was the only reason for me too to buy a Dreamcast. After I set it all up and realized how cumbersome a Dreamcast box is, I tossed all into the garbage.