Wheel shake at Speed | FerrariChat

Wheel shake at Speed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    My Steering wheel has developed a shake at high speed, its a strange feeling as if it comes and goes,

Maybe wheel balance weight has fallen off?

However I have read that 360,s suffer from lower ball joint wear, could this have same effect?

Only covered 5k miles seems unlikely..

Trip back to Maranellos should sort it.

Joe

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Joe one of the chaps on here does a modification for these joints,
    i beleive the is very little alloy to hold the joint in place,
    Only drive it to take it in Joe,and take it slowly,
    Dale.

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I have the same problem in my Mercedes G. So I can tell everyone now that my G handles like a 360!?! :)

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I would check to see if the tyres are balanced on the rim.
    No charge for checking.

The brake discs could be warp.

You might have play in the ball joints like you said. Jack the car off the ground and grap the wheel at the top and bottom. If you have movement from the wheel back and forth then you have worn ball joints or wheel bearings.

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    After 5k miles I really doubt the ball joint would be the problem and my last port of call.

My first suspect would be the actual road you were driving on. I had a 996 which had roughly the same problem and everything was checked including sending the tyres to Michelin to check their wear. The problem turned out to be a section of the road I drove on which was only really proved to me when out of the blue it got resurfaced.

After the road I would check the balance - very easy and should be free at any tyre/exhaust centre (no need for a trip to Egham) and very cheap if not balanced.

Next I would get the tracking checked. Once the tyre place has shown your wheels are in good order they can also check tracking - anybody can do this on any car but if it is out I'm not sure I wouldn't get it done by an F dealer unless I really felt confident the tyre centre could do it. If they do - it's not hard - they can easily prove it's done.

Only after these would I suspect other problems

6. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    Cheers Guys

Going to start with easy stuff Balance and Tracking then if no joy its a Maranello jobby.

Regards

Sunday and is Sunny ...only one thing for it!!!!

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Might be about this a'noon myself for a quick ride. Give me a shout ,Joe if weather stays fine.
    T

8. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Joe,

You'll be suprised sometimes how the smallest of knocks can
    either move the tracking or unbalance a wheel.
    And also suprising sometimes how the really big knocks do nothing at all.

Good luck

I'm sure it will be just a balance weight come off. It has oftenhappened to me in the past.

Wazza