Mondial misfire! | FerrariChat

Mondial misfire!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Babylon, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Took the car, a '91 Mondial T out for a spin today and whilst it was idling away outside a mates house something must have happened because when I got back in to drive away, it sounded rough as hell. It looks like it's missing on the right bank so anyone know what could've happened and more importantly how to fix it? I plan to take a look at the leads etc tomorrow. I had been giving it a bit of a run but nothing too excessive or sustained!

Thanks,
    Babylon

2. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Maybe a whole bank has failed, they still run but as you say sluggish. Best thing to try is with the engine running pull the connector off the r/h coil (the 3 pin one going to the big bit with the HT leads coming out) if there's no change then you know the bank is down. Then swap the coils and coil amplifies over wit hthe left bank and see if the problem moves, if it does then it's one of those components.

If it doesn't then it's either and ECU problem so possibly check fuse/ connectors

or a fuel problem, not sure on the Mondial T, some 348's had twin fuel pumps, one for each bank, again worth checking fuses, Relays (on the panel in the passenger footwell)

or maybe a failed Airflow meter again you can check this by swapping them side to side, the Airflow meter is the round plastic thing between the air filter and the pipe going ot the plenums with a wide pin connector

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    You may want to post an entry on the Techincal forum as our North American buddies will be able to help you out too.

4. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Think I've fixed it!

Couldn't sleep on it so went out to the garage, armed with a can of Stella and found one of the HT leads had come away from the bit that fits over the plug ( excuse the laymans' terms but when it comes to mechanics I'm way off the mark!). I've put it back in and will fire her up in the morning. Hopefully that will have sorted it out. Can I buy one HT lead or are they only available in a set?

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Babylon

try QV london for a single or if not they do nice Magnacor leads that are cheper and better than the originals

01344 622011

6. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004

Thanks Mark,

I'll try them tomorrow.

Mike

7. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    If one of the leads has gone, the rest are probably going to follow. If it were me I'd replace them all.

Richard.

8. Mark T

Mark T Rookie

Feb 27, 2004

Happened to me twice, both times no or weak spark on left bank, changing coil pack (PartCo about £37) fixed it, only for it to occur again. I then pulled all the HT leads off and did a resistance check to find 1 of the leads completely open circuit at the spark plug end (finally smashed the insulator to find this).

I think that the open circuit HT lead caused the coil packs to fail i.e. instead of the spark jumping the air gap in the HT lead it found some other way to release its energy through the coil pack and over time damaged the pack altogether.

So far (3K/8months) no more problems

Mark T

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    you spiked the coil pack,this can also happen to ecu's when jump starting if you dont know what you are doing,ht leads are getting very rare now but during service check them out,if they are 91 vintage leads i would have changed them long ago,know these aint cheap off ferrari but you dont need to buy there's,

Dale.