Made it to mecca(Maranello)! | FerrariChat

Made it to mecca(Maranello)!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SrfCity, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hi guys,

Just to make you a little jealous I'm in Maranello now waiting for the start of the Ferrari event. I visited the Ferrari store accross from the plant and the museum. A couple of guys drove from Spain in a new Stradale(1200 kms). I visited Bologna, then Modena and now the outskirts of Maranello where the Hotel Michaelangelo is located. Just waiting for the cocktail party at the Fiorano track and then tour. The F1 unveiling is tomorrow. I've got lots of pics so far for you!

Ciao,

Scott

2. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I'm not jealous. It's a car factory for cripes sake.

3. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Well, I am jealous.

4. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    me too.

ernie

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    ditto!!

Please share as many pictures as you are allowed to Scott! Not sure what the rules will be about sharing the photographs though...

Next time your out at CC I want to hear all about it :)

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You are officially the coolest guy I know! :)

pics!

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Just waiting to catch the bus to the F1 unveiling. The cocktail party at the track was cool(they had a 612 Scaglietti there that you could sit in etc.) The party was next to Enzo's house/office that I have tons of pics of ;) The dinner at Cavalino restaurant(across from factory) was nice and the factory tour was sort of bogus. They just cruised around the Ferrari plants and pointed stuff out(there's the F1 wind tunnel etc.). I'm going to ask for another proper tour for tomorrow. The unveiling is live so maybe you guys can watch. That's all for now from mecca.

Scott

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That's great - Can't wait to hear all the details - Hope to cya soon at CC!

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Daaaaaaaamn!!! I'm jealous too. Wish I was there...

dom

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The unveiling was quite the spectacle. All Ferrari big wigs and drivers in attendance as you can imagine. The F1 car looks very exciting without a doubt. I've got about 500 pics(of the trip) so far so be forewarned ;) The really exciting thing is that I will be getting a semi-private factory tour tomorrow with a couple of other guys from NZ. The Italians are very accomodating in every way.

The Ferrari facilities had Scaglietti's all over the place cruising around. The car is very beautiful in the flesh although some big coin. It sounds like the 360 replacement production may be around the corner i.e. this year or next. Everyone is tight lipped about it. Ferrari/Italians are all about image with everything having a polished look. Even the workers are decked out in slick Ferrari coveralls. The guys(workers) I saw walking around outside the buildings look pretty young.

I may have a little surprise from the factory tour. Details to follow........

I bumped into one other F-chatter and his wife at the event from the Seattle area. Non of the international guest had herd of F-chat till now!!!

I plan to head to Florence after this then back home to So. CA. I should be at CC this Saturday.

Scott

11. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Holy moly! I can't imagine what it's like being able to tour the Ferrari plant. I've had the chance to see the insides of quite a few domestic plants and thought that was cool. But the Ferrari plant! That's way COOL! You are one lucky guy!
    How about we get together at Haus of Pizza with you photos and you give me a tour! I'll buy if you be the tour guide! Travel well...
    Lou

12. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ciao Scott,
    Very cool being in Maranello. My wife and I will be there in May to tour the factory and visit some friends in Bologna. How's the Hotel your staying in? Have a great time, the air must be very intoxicating with all that Ferrari smell around. Be sure to have some good wine, which I'm sure you are doing.
    Ciao
    Jim Hilton

13. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    Hey Scott, I too am jelous of the Ferrari factory tour. What a vacation! I think Lou may be on to something but I am not sure CC will be a big turnout this weekend so be sure to bring your photos on the drive Feb 8th (assuming you'll attend). Keep us posted.

-Jay.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The factory tour became a reality yesterday AM. Just myself and one other guy from NZ. The place is amazing and very high tech. The guy giving the tour(Manilio) I think his name was, totally went out of his way for us. He took us to the engine manufacturing too and he said normally the tour never includes that. Alot of engine manufacturing, i.e. crank shaft stuff, is totally robotic. They will be finished on a new painting facility soon that will perfect the process. I noticed my 360 has a few black specs in the paint so I'm sure that that kind of thing will be elimintated in the future. Saw the Enzo, hand build line, the 8 cylinder and also 12 cylinder line. The 8's are completed every 3 1/2 days and the Enzo's 10 1/2. The Scaglietti's were being built too for Euro market. All the leather work is first cut on a CAD table and then hand sewn and applied to the various pieces by hand. They had a spray booth for custom colors. Cars are tested on the streets or at the Fiorano track. I got a pic of a Maserati ripping around the track. It looked to be some kind of a Challenge car. It had snowed the night before so there were guys on the track shoveling at the apexes. The F1 wind tunnel you only see from a distance. They barely let employees visit it let alone someone else. They are also building a high tech facility for marketing and design people. It will have a glass floor with water you can see under it. Ferrari has a lot of its own design people. Pininfarina comes up with the initial design and then refined look and that's about it. The 360 replacement should begin building by September '05 I think he said. He didn't know anything else about it.

Well, if that day wasn't enough, I'm cruising back to Bologna and stumble on the Ducati motorcycle factory. And, wouldn't you know it I get a tour there with one other guy. I own a Ducati but have lost interest since I've gotten into the F-world. So, needless to say it was kind of anticlimatic compared to the F-tour. They have a spectacular museum that I've got pics of if interested. The gal took me to their factory store so about all I bought was a t-shirt for a friend.

I'm in downtown Firenze(Florence) as I write and I'm cruising around grabbing some interesting pics. Off to see "David" in a minute after I grab a bite. Earlier this AM I got whacked with a 85 euro charge to have a boot removed from the car for illegally parking in front of a square. The hotel guy said no problem the night before, of course they forgot to mention the street cleaning happens every once and a while. I've got a 34 euro fine to deal with too.

I dumped a Renault Laguna I had rented for a Alfa Romeo 147. Small car but a blast. The EuroStrada was a trip and seemed very dangerous to me. I drove from Bologna last nite to Florence and it was a white knuckle deal all the way. People fly on that thing on windy turns, through tunnels and around huge trucks lumbering down the road. It was insane.

If you have taken the time to read this far, I don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet, but, as I said earlier I may have a surprise when I return. Let's just say two things here, James Bond - 007 and the F-tour. I will be able to confirm when I get back ;)

Ciao,

Scott

15. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    OK. I will DEFINATELY be at crystal cove this weekend- You are the man.

Dom

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the write up - I really enjoyed it. My wife & I want to go visit the factory in the next few years - Any advice on how to arrange a tour?

Can't wait to see the pics!

17. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Scott,
    I'm not going to CC Saturday but can meet you anytime at Haus of Pizza for lunch/dinner and a tour of Italy! Let me know when you want to get together. Remember, it's on me.

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Scott,

Wow! What an experience1 I can't wait to do the tour myself someday. It will be great to the the pics you took. I hope you are able to post them soon. Thanks for posting the story and may the rest of your trip be great. :)

Lou,

Have you watched the weather channel lately? We are having a terrible time here in your old state of NJ! I can't wait to move out there. We should meet up in early March. My girlfriend and I will be out in LA the 3rd - 7th to do some research for our move. If he Cove is still happening we will be there. :)

-Augustine

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Great story Scott!! Im going to Italy this summer, and even though Ill probably be driving through Modena (not Maranello), I probably will never see the Ferrari factory :(

The first year I get my Ferrari, Im going for my tour!!

20. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Hey Scott,

How was driving in the snow? We had about 5" in Modena where we stayed. My wife and I enjoyed meeting you, too bad we didn't have more time to BS. The event was and is as always, waaayyyy cool.

Who did you rent your Alfa from? Every time I want an Alfa, they never have one. I've asked for one 3 times now and always get something else. I thought you could only get one if you were Italian or something.

See ya
    Gordy

21. lou staller

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    Scott, sorry we're highjacking your thread but after all we are all ferrari guys...
    Augustine, let me know when you'll be here and we'll get together. Lunch, dinner whatever. CC will be around as long as there are car guys around! By the way, it's about 70 degrees and sunny! And yea, I've seen the news and have spoken to my sister that still lives in NJ. I am soooo glad I live here! Stay in touch, maybe on PM or off F-chat.

22. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!

cool Scott

I love the factory. Such a strange vibe you get from there.

Have also been fortunate to see the engine factory.

Jim, there is a Hotel just accross from the factory that has rooms overlooking the gate. Basically on top of the Ferrari store, just net to Cavallino Ristaurante. For the life of it I always forget the name but it is excellent. Get the 05 or 06 line of rooms.

Martin

23. Josep

Josep Rookie

Jan 29, 2004
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Modena F1
    The Hotel's name is: Planet Hotel
    Josep
    Spain
    Challenge Stradale

24. SrfCity