TR major, with engine in.....possible? | FerrariChat

TR major, with engine in.....possible?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by henryk, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I have read of people trying to do a TR (not 512 TR) major with the engine in the car.......haven't read any follow-ups, though.

Assume one just wants to replace belts, and some seals, and proposes to do this by removing the fuel tanks.........is this possible?

I am in the middle of my 88TR major, with engine out. Looking at the firewall, with ALL the hoses, clamps, connectors, all attached to the firewall, and fuel tanks, it would seem a very BIG job to me. I think the engine may be in the way of getting to a lot these.

Has anyone actually been able to do this? And, is it really easier than pulling the engine?

Thanks

2. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good question!! I don't think it is possible, but can't wait to check out the responses you get.

3. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Hello Henryk.
    I have performed many Major services on TRs and have never considered attempting one in the car this is one of the easier Ferraris to remove the motor and having the motor/transaxle assembly on the table allows you to perform the service in a straight foward manner.
    I have seen a lot of mistakes made over the years with trying todo major matinence work with the TR motors not removed. As the cars get older you cannot take anything for granted.Pulling Fuel tanks opens the door to the possibility of stuff to go wrong It seems the guys in the UK like this method with the 355s I,m not so sure but each to there own I like to just get in ther and once again drop the motor assembly on the table and you probably wont have to go back in there for a RE DO.
    Kind Regards
    Wayne Hynes
    www.srexoticautomotive.com

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Thanks Wayne: I would agree that removal of the engine would be the way to go.

Just curious if anyone has tried this. For example; can the fuel tanks be removed without removing the engine?

BTW: Nice web site!

5. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    Henry.
    I have not done this but next time I have a TR with Major work I will look into this. There are a number of high Milage cars out there that you need to R&R old hoses ,fuel related hoses are the most commonly negleted.
    Thanks for taking a look at the site.
    Wayne Hynes

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Henry! I too believe the engine must come out for a PROPER servicing. As you know my oil leak has returned after performing the major on my TR last fall. Since everything on my car is fine, with just the oil leak in front, I am going to TRY and pull the tanks to get to it. I suspect the front main seal is leaking again. I recall trying to remove the left side timing belt cover and it hit on the oil tank, so that too will have to come out. I did remove the right side fuel tank for repair on my TR and it wasn't much of a job really. The left side fuel tank will be a bit tougher though. But the old fuel lines don't like to let loose from the tanks and I ended up cutting them off. And it is hard to work in such tight quarters...as I invented some new cuss words along the way. I have heard of the mythical in-car service job but have never seen anything on it, like pictures or an in depth write up. I would really like to hear from someone who has done it without complications. I do think it's possible, but the mechanic will loose some skin, knuckles, blood, and most of his sanity doing it.

Anyone out there done it this way? Please share it with us!

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll bet it takes just more time to drop the tanks and figthing with stuff in the car,then it would just to drop the engine,and do the service properly.

8. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I seem to agree with tb. I looked at the engine bay, with engine out, on my TR today. WOW!!!!!!!!!! There is an awful lot of things right in front of the engine that would need to be removed, in order to remove the fuel tanks...........things that do NOT seem very easy to get to, with the engine in the car.

I am almost convinced, that if I had to remove the fuel tanks for any reason, I would remove the engine just to get decent access to them......and I even have a car lift!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    The first TR I ever did a major on I left the motor in. Pulled both radiators and the oil tank and was able to get the belt covers off and service the front of the engine. You can't see the cam marks very well, I think I had to use a mirror, and it is a real pain to get a degree wheel on the crank. It saves no time and makes it much more difficult to do a proper job but is possible.

10. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

You can do it by taking out the gas tanks.
    But it will be a lot easier taking the engine out of the car.

The timing marks are a little tough to see and line up with it in the car.

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Hey Henryk, aren't you the same henryk that fabricated up his own test pipes for the TR some time ago? You haven't updated your username to the new software so as to show the original post count.

Is your major a DIY? And do you still have any test pipes made?
    I'm about to DIY my TR own major, but I haven't yet decided on the new exhaust configuration. (no emissions testing issues here)

That being said, I can't imagine that it would be easier to remove the tanks and such to do a belt R&R in that space, vs removing the engine ...

12. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    I don't think it's possible

13. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Gabriel: Yes, that is me...........don't really care for post counts.

I am doing the major myself...........have the engine out. I took everything off the block (except the heads), and even removed the block from the trans case..........wanted to get good access to the water pump.

Currently I am finishing the valve adjustment. I replaced all fuel injectors, and have new spark pl wires. All the seals in the front where replaced, even if they didn't leak.........last major was in 1997. The seals that didn't leak where still harder than the new ones.

I used the test pipes all summer on my car.........really sounded nice. I plan on making more when the weather warms up, and sell them on Ebay.

I plan on installing the pre-cats (gutted), and then will make a new exhaust from there back. This will probably only include some small resonator.......I hate that large stock thing, and the Tubi is just as large. I haven't decided the shape yet, but I won't be ready for this till the warmer weather arrives.