250 gto at FoW in 2 weeks | FerrariChat

250 gto at FoW in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Prancing_Horse, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I went to FoW today.

I got the tour of the garage. The guy said they are getting a 250 GTO soon in about 2 weeks.

i have pictures by then.

id also love to see someone else there looking at it

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    250 GTO for sale or service?

3. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #3 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Charles Arnott sold his 333 SP (the one I am kneeling beside in the picture below) and bought the 250 GTO.

He also owns a 250 LM, a Daytona Comp Coupe and a 360 C (WCH's old car).

I am going to take some pictures of the car when it comes in as well.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That's awesome. I'm just curious how you go about buyng one of these cars outside of an auction setting. Do you just have to be in some inner circle and approach the previous owner? I rarely see the truly rare Ferraris on the common market. Is it sort of behind closed doors?

5. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Arnott also sold the LM. It went first and then the 333. He bought the 250 from a F-car collector in Japan. I chatted with him at Summit Point last fall Jon and he told me he hated to give up the LM...but the GTO was a dream come true for him.

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Any indication he was planning on bringing the GTO out to the track?

With Allie's 250 SWB gone and Charlie's LM sold there won't be any vintage Ferraris anymore. :(

Bob S. is that you?

Regards,

Jon

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The transaction was handled through Symbolic and Symbolic-connected individuals. The GTO is 3445 GT, seen here with a young enthusiast behind the wheel:

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I believe Bill Noon will campaign 3445 GT in the Historic Challenge series.

9. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Wow - from the Matsuda collection. I'm surprised that they would part with it!

10. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I wonder if that's the one I was right behind on the way out of Moroso, heading back to West Palm Beach yesterday. Looks just like it.. blue with yellow stripe. He had it out on the road, driving it back to the hotel. Some dumb blond was talking on her cell phone and changed lanes right into him.. came inches from smashing it up.. I do believe I would have pummeled her.

-R

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFL.

as long as the judge knew what a 250 GTO was, i imagine he'd let you off the hook for assault and battery in this case :)

"justifiable"

doody.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    That's the one. Bill mentioned he would be using 3445 GT as a daily driver in FL during Cavallino.

13. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Wayne
    always enjoy reading your post. Very accurate and you correct people tackfully. Thanks for sharing so much info.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks

15. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    The 250 GTO is the holy grail of the collector Ferrari world. However, I wonder how this will change in the next several years. There seems to be a shift in collecting these days. Usually, these cars are the centerpiece of a long-term collection. The fact that several have been changing owners in the past few years leads me to believe that the focus is shifting away from these type of cars. Logic seems to say that the true enthusiasts for these cars are getting old and losing interest in them and there are fewer and fewer serious collectors who want them.

To take one step back, look at the Duesenberg model J, it's been declining in popularity as the enthusiasts get older and older.

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I don't know... I can't imagine many Duesenberg owners were very old if at all when the Duesenberg was produced. I'm sure up to a certain point the age of the collector may have something to do with the choice of car he makes. But, I don't think that could pass as a universal rule or affect the car market so considerably, especially for the highly collectible ones. There will always be a strong market for Degas painting accross the ages - I think the same goes for a rare automobile. I'm not ancient, and I lust after the 250 GTO. So, I don't think there's a major shift in collections - probably just coincidence.

17. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Hi Jon, Hope you had a good holiday... yes this is the former Bob S. Thought I would try a new handle. Did you sell your challenge car yet?
    Bob