If everything being equal....512TR or 550M? | FerrariChat

If everything being equal....512TR or 550M?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello everyone---

Given the recent spiral delince in values of the 550M, I recently faced an agonizing decision of deciding whether to purchase a 97 550M or to go with a 93 512TR.

I love the 512TR for its exotic look and romanticized by its history (less the MiamiVice era ). At the same time, I'm enthralled with the 550M for all its added amenities and modern technologies but to be honest when it comes to its understated design&style (my perspectives only), I'm just not feeling it..... Economics didn't play a big part in my decision making (the spread was within 10K prem the 550M). Both cars had similar milage, all service and in showroom conditions except one is 7 years old vs. 11 years old.

In the end, last Friday I went forward with the 512TR. I am content with my decision but left wondering what you'd do. Your thoughts?

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have two 512TRs so I guess that shows where I stand on this issue. I love the "Italian Sex Machine" lines of the 512TR & its just SO wild!!!! People just stare when she drives by.

The 550 is a great car & she's a beauty too but she just doesnt have the wild sex machine looks of her older sister.

Maybe when I'm 50 or so I'll get a 550, its the Ferrari for mature tastes, I guess I'm just not there yet :)

3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    What's the hp of a 512tr
    Thanks,
    Jim

4. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the 512TR is one of the best looking cars ever made. It has long been my dream car. It looks truly exotic. The biggest downside vs a 550 to me is the interior of the 550 is much nicer. To me, the 550 looks OK, but far from the exotic looks of the 512.

I have never driven either, so I will have to leave that up to the rest of the fchat guys.

5. Ric

Ric Karting

Dec 25, 2003
    On the road..Conn
    Full Name:
    Ric N
    if it were me, i would go with a 512TR also.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  7. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Here's my $0.04.

Obviously, I have a 550, but I appreciate & have driven both, on street & on track.

The 512 is a true exotic car--in styling, sound, and performance. It is a truly delightful car, and drives , handles, and stops like a dream, PROVIDING that you know how to drive a very powerful, heavy mid-engined car. About the only thing I don't like about it are the cheesy electric seat belts. Beautiful car, as long as you like the styling.

The 550, on the other hand, is (obviously) much more conservatively styled, and hasn't nearly the exotic feel & sound of the 512, but still drives beautifully, feels much smaller & more nimble behing the wheel, and handles as well...but differently. I have had folks ask me if mine is a Corvette, which wou;dn't happen in the 512! :)

So, I guess it depends on what experience you are looking for...

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i'm also a 550 owner, but i've been seriously considering adding a 512TR to the stable later this year.

if i had to pick one though it'd be the 550. more power. better performance. much safer. cheaper to service. nicer amenties. and so on.

maybe you just have a lot of cheese to grate? ;)

ENJOY! and post some damn pics, dude!

doody.

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Never driven any, but the in/out looks turn me off, worlds apart from the classy looks of a 550. TR's shout "80's supercar".
    I don't now if the 512 TR's "old style" Ferrari reputation is deserved in terms of maintenance.

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I havent driven the 550 but I can tell you that to get serious performance out of a 512TR in the twisties, you better know what you are doing. She doesnt suffer fools gladly & she will spin so fast you wont realize what happened till you are looking in the opposite direction. On the track in hard braking at the end of the straight she likes to wag her tail, just a reminder to be careful. She likes to wag her tail quite a lot, I love that quality in a woman :)

The 512TR is a serious sportscar that needs to be dominated by the driver on the track

11. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    This is funny,I love my 94- 512TR for what she is to me ,and that is my week end warrior,Just pure fun to drive for a few hrs at a time.I am currently looking to add a 550 as more of a user friendly daily car much like my M5 BMW.Small world!

12. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Well, jimangle I believe the 512 TR has around 428HP and weighs a smige over 3200lbs. Not bad numbers at all if you ask me. As for Mr. TomF-1 I'd take the sex machine 512 TR! I'm a huge 550 fan but unless I was touring, or got struck with sensibleness, I'd stay away. Not bad choices to have to make in life though! :)

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Gents for your candid perspectives and approbations (most..). Your sentiments provided add. assurances about my decision. My first Ferraro was a 89 328GTS which I traded in November 03 for a new NSX.

I live in Kansas City and didn't plan to get back into the F-market until this spring but frankly, life w/o F just hasn't been the same...(and I love my NSX); therein lies my decision to get back into the F-ownership experience.

I am in my late 30' and the 512TR just offers so much more sex appeal......Perhaps, in the next couple of years, I shall find the 550M to be more suitable.

The car is still at a dealership in Columbus,OH. I will likely have Midwest Auto Group do the major service before delivery. Will post pictures soon. Thanks again for everyone's input. Your passions are reminders of why I love this community and best of all, my affinity for Ferrari.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    512TR no doubt.

15. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I'd take the 512TR over the 550, Diablo over Murcielago, and Patriots over the Panthers.

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    "you better know what you are doing. She doesnt suffer fools gladly & she will spin so fast you wont realize what happened till you are looking in the opposite direction. On the track in hard braking at the end of the straight she likes to wag her tail, just a reminder to be careful. She likes to wag her tail quite a lot, I love that quality in a woman"

Hey William---This scares me a bit...I must admit the closest I've never tracked in my life was in college Track&Field. I'm more of a trend-line speed limit driver with the few occasional straight-line 110mph on an empty road but that is the extent of my pedal to the medal experience. Any specific "101-basics 512TR driving management" from you or anyone? This car is equiped w/ a tubi which makes it an even more powerful beast.... Thanks so lot.

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    "I have had folks ask me if mine is a Corvette, which wou;dn't happen in the 512!" Maranelloman

lol....thanks for your candor, maranelloman.

let's not forget your 550m was featured in the latest super cool action flick "bad boys II".....so while the 550m is undoubtedly an understated gentleman's ferrari, those who can't make the distinction from a corvette just haven't really paying attention.

18. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Tom I have a 308QV which I also tracked the H out of. Comparing the 512TR to the NSX or the 328. The 512TR will take more work to handle down a windy road but what she gives up to the 308 or NSX in handling she More than makes up for in pure hp. Its a LARGE difference in power, the 512TR makes 428 hp factory, mine is just over 460 with a few tricks.

I would highly suggest you do a racing school which is a lot of fun but which can also save your life in a pinch. On the track I brake hard coming down from 120 or 140 or 160+ & the tail wags a bit, nothing too bad but you Always have to be aware that mid engine cars will spin if you are sleepy. As youve had 2 already I'm sure you are aware of this. I once spun my Countach in the middle of Reno doing about 10 mph :) Doh!!!!

Just take it easy in the corners & remember to NEVER let your foot off the gas mid corner

19. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    If I had the money to buy either a 512 TR or a 550 , I would go with the 512 TR. Its one of the most beautiful cars ever build and I just love everything about it.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

As a TR owner and F-lover it is a hard decision. I love both equally, but would venture you are better off with the 512. You can buy the 550 later on since more were created and are easier to purchase. I would have bought the 512 also.Just mt .02$

21. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Easy question for me, 512TR all the way. IMO one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

22. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Absolutely the TR, maranello is gorgeous too, but the TR is one of the "must haves" in the ferrari world, while the maranello replacement may just be better, and that car is achingly beautiful. Only quibble is the interior is dated looking, but who cares:) Anybody got any nice TR pics? I havent seen all that many, just testarossa's, 512M's, and thats about it...

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmmm... a mature William. Not sure the world is ready for that!

William, any time you want to drive a mature car, jump in a plane for Houston, and I'll let you drive my car. You can see how the AARP set lives.

The mature DrTax

24. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well done ! TomF-1.

I would have picked the TR (more likely 512M) myself.

Don't get me wrong, the 550 is sure a great car. But to put the engine in the front of a F-car is a bad idea. The 550 is for the pensioners only !!!

With that kind of money, I would have chosen the Merc SL instead of the 550.

Enjoy your ride.

25. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris