308 tightening torque for Carb <--> Intake Manifold studs | FerrariChat

308 tightening torque for Carb <--> Intake Manifold studs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Couldn't find this spec in the workshop manual. These studs use standard nuts pressing down on special tapered washers... Over torqueing, I understand, can contribute to the carb base warpage.

Ideas?

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If you can figure out how to get a torque wrench in there, you're a better man than I.

Since I had to use a little shorty wrench, I tightened about as tight as I could get it. Bear in mind that the short length reduces the effective torque, and the awkward confines that you work in limit the leverage that you can apply - often just pressing on the wrench with the tips of the fingers. So I doubt I'm overtorqued.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Mike: If the nut is a 13 mm size, then the torgue would be 15-18 ft-lbs. This seems true of all 13 mm nuts on my TR. I just installed the intake runners at 18 ft-lbs.

If you can't get a torque wrench in the tight confines, then practice on a nut, and bolt, in a vise, with the wrench that you will use. Then you will have the "feel" for the 15-18 ft-lbs.

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Yeah, good idea about practicing with the wrench you'll use. BTW, it takes a fair amount of effort to torque to 15-18 ft-lbs with a 4" long wrench! (Doh! About 50 lbs?)