another BS HPD revenue scheme | FerrariChat

another BS HPD revenue scheme

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ty (360mode), Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    so i thought i'd seen and heard it all. there is a school zone on my way to work so people are usually cruising pretty close to 20. i notice a couple HPD standing in the middle of the freakin road, yes, b/w the lanes. wtf are they doing i thought, no radar gun or anything. well, they're pointing at people w/ expired registrations/inspections over to the shopping area where a couple other cops are writing people up. yes, another fine example of "serving and protecting" the citizens of houston...

disclaimer: i completely respect and appreciate our police force and i understand the need to generate revenue, but that should be a secondary function, not the primary function of an officer's morning. i more blame city mgmt, not the officers themselves, as we all know where these directives are coming from.

happy speeding!

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    we have to get annual inspections here in MA. i used to be very cavalier about it, because all my cars were two years old, three years tops and were maintained carefully and rigorously and posed zero threat to the public (lights not working, emissions, etc. etc.). so i would be lazy and stretch it out from 12 months - i think my record was 18 months.

and in MA we don't have "fix-it" tickets (though you can go in front of the clerk magistrate after and plead your case with proof of "fix").

so i got written up once and was ASTONISHED to learn that in this state it's a moving violation. i may has well have been speeding or running a red light or whatnot. same net effect on your insurance (net four figures in increases over many years). insanely ridiculous.

needless to say, i have been "beaten into submission" by the inane system. that's me, "public enemy number one" for not having my inspection stickers current. sheesh.

doody.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Doody, I beat your record! My Ferrari went 2 full years on a single one year inspection just because I didn't get around to getting it done. I'm trying to do better though, I'm in a 12 step program.

4. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    So, they didn't care about the lack of a front plate? Or were you driving the Jeep?

The city of Houston is run by a bunch of numb nuts. Not trying to hijack the thread, but did you see the guy who tossed an egg at city council yesterday? LOL I can't say I don't blame him.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    My registration sticker on my 360 expired in '02... I have the '03 and '04 stickers... just haven't had time to go out and do a nice job of removing the existing sticker and put on the new one. How pathetic is that? I don't think there's a 12-step program for me (here I am on Fchat rather than fixing my darn sticker).

6. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    brian: not sure if you know this, but take a really damp washcloth and rub it across the back of the registration sticker for about a minute (until the sticker is pretty moist) and the sticker comes off extremely easily and completely clean - even guarantee it will come off in one piece! absolutely no residue on the windshield. i couldn't believe how easy it was the first time i did it.

am i the only one who didn't know you could do it that way? :)

scott: nope, i was in the TT, they apparently just wanted expired sticker violators.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Back in Houston, I have a buddy who is a DPS officer. He used to give me rides on his shift late at night in the DPS Mustang. Lots of fun and a few stories here and there. But one thing that Ves said that I'll always remember - he doesn't pull over people for stupid time-wasting stuff like an expired inspection sticker or registration. That's usually just added onto a speeding ticket or other violation. It's not really the 'proper cause' to pull someone over.

Personally, they are trying to earn their keep. Remember, HPD is revenue hungry from all of those lawsuits from the K-Mart invasion some time ago.

Brian - I'm the same way with registration stickers. Oh well. =/

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I got busted last week for tags on my way back from Ft. Worth. I noticed earlier that day there were a massive amount of troopers pulling over cars by the dozen, this went on for 150 miles until it was my turn. DPS pulled me over & wasn't even speeding. I've got to say it's a state wide problem, I've seen too many cars with expiered tags. I just never made any time to correct the issue. (Even though I work at a car dealership, how lazy is that?) I even had a warning from Ralph a week before I got caught to get it care of my tags ASAP. Yea, Yea... I have now taken care of issue but I've got to talk to the judge in Madisonville & see if I can get out of the ticket. Wish me luck.

9. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX

I bet you were driving on that Monday or Tuesday, when college was starting for most of the students. When I was driving up to College Station from Houston, there were a plethora of state troopers and other various cops pulling people over left and right. They were having a field day!! Taking advantage of poor (literally) college kids.....that's not right......

Anyway, Ty, where in Houston is that school zone you were referring to?

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It happened to me last Wednesday one day before my track event at TWS. Your right about the collage students getting pulled over, I thought they were checking them for drugs. When I was pulled over, the officer kept standing at rear of my car. I thought he ws going to ask me to open my trunk but never did.

11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The gunned the truck barrelling down on me at the 45 off ramp on to Allen Pkwy. I got the ticket. I was in 2nd gear, they said I was going 51mph. No way. Then I got a $65 parking ticket because the meters downtown become no parking zones at 4pm. It was 4:03. I have been driving for 16 years with no tickets, then 2 in less than an hour. I need the HPD Extortion sticker when I move back. They tried to get me for not restricted vision, then they ticketed the lady behind me for additional violations after she gave them some lip. Next time a cruiser passes me with out his lights on I am going to call and complain to the Dept. I know it won't matter, but I be a huge pain in the ass if I try.

12. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Amir,
    Don't worry about DPS on the way to CS. I passed one in ty's 360 going 140 when I saw the cop. He did nothing.

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    didn't know about the wash cloth trick, thanks Ty.

14. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    paul, hence why you got 2 tickets in less than an hour - still beats one for doing a buck-forty! he had to of been day dreaming b/c any idiot could have seen you were slightly exceeding posted speed limits.

bigal - you're welcome. i lol when i think how many hours i've spent trying to get those damn things off w/o scratching something, etc...

amir, school zone near BS and holcombe (for the st. vincent de paul school).

15. OneEye

OneEye Rookie

Dec 9, 2003
    That's nothing new here in Austin. They've been doing that for years on Barton Springs Road between Riverside and Lamar. A motorcycle cops sits in the middle turn lane after the tenth of each month and checks for expired stickers. Then you have the cops who cruise up and down the Drag (Guadalupe St. next to the UT campus) doing the same thing.

16. Amir

Amir Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2003
    TX

LOL!!! That's why I got a ticket for 76 in a 70!!! What a joke!

I opted for deferred adjudication. Little did I know I had to do 12 hours of community service with convicted felons, complete a driving safety course, receive no tickets for 180 days, and pay a fine of $170!!! I still have 2 more months of driving like a grandma (in college station at least). If any of you ever get a ticket in Houston, and have to appear at the Houston Municipal Court, please let me know.

I have an excellent lawyer who charges $75 per offense. I had a ticket on 59 for 90 in a 65, I was lasered and it was blatantly obvious that I was guilty. I paid him the $75, went in to court about 2 months later, and was one of the first people to be called......"Mr. Shenaq, your case is dismissed, have a good day!!" The irony of the story is that I received the 76 in a 70 ticket while driving back to College Station that same day!!

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That's a bargain of a deal!

I'll definately remember to look you up if... and ugh, I do say IF I ever get a[nother] ticket in H-town.

edit: knock on wood.