Return from Barrett-Jackson 2004 | FerrariChat

Return from Barrett-Jackson 2004

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sagaponack, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I just got in from the airport from Scottsdale this evening... Here is my report from the auction block seat A-51.

Overall, the prices paid crossed the line from "overpaid" to "absurd".
    Hemis, vettes, GTO's went for 2x-3x value for people who are willing to take some time to find the right car.

Much of the premium I will call the "Speed Channel" premium. People just wanted to win on national TV. As evidence, when Craig Jackson signed off for the viewers at home and there were still a good two hours of cars left, half the bidders on the stage and a good portion of the audience left.

With respect to Ferraris... This is not a bad place to buy a Ferrari. THE BIDDERS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEM. The 246gts was very rough. The Blue 355 had 19k miles, cracked dash, chips, bolster wear, etc. It traded in the high 80's (less buyer's premium).

The Pozzi Blue Barchetta with 100 miles (which I fell in love with and only made it half way through) traded at $251k. Actually a fair price given the Fiorano package, no miles, etc. Especially if you want blue.

The challenge race car with an interesting provenance traded in the 80's (maybe low 90's--we will check). A fair price for a great race car.

Once again... Barrett was a great place to sell cars, a terrible place to buy muscle, and an OK place to buy Scuderia.

Questions and comments are welcomed.

Rob

www.bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

The Best Collector Car Storage on the Planet.

2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Rob I as well just returned from Barrett-Jackson about 15min ago. Good thing flight to philly didn't get delayed. I agree with the absurd numbers for the GTO's especially the one that went for 70g's on Friday. But, my Dad and his friend picked up two cars the 1964 red Austin Heely(sp) and the 1948 chrysler town and country convert(woodie) which will be a fun car. We tried to get the gullwings but lost both of them, but I think they went for fair prices but the commission is what would have killed the buyer on those cars so we backed off, but at least we got on TV:). I will say the amount of car people there is awesome. Alain De Cadenat(sp) is one of the coolest guys ever he talked with us during a break as is Bruce Meyers(sp). They are both class acts.
    Erik

3. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Darn must have missed ya on there.But I didn't watch all of it either.I can imagine a conversation with Alain would have to be very interesting.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    with respect to the dino, the description was that it was fully restored. when you say it was "rough", can you elaborate?

5. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If you are speaking about the yellow 246GTS the car looked great, but I felt the restoration was "mudded" up a bit especially on the rear quarter panels. But, the car wasn't bad. The tan interior looked sharp though. aawil come on man that was my 5 seconds of fame!!!!!!
    Erik

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Barrett Jackson was mainly a sea of old American iron. Brock Yates was trying to say that in order for a car to be collectable....low production #'s were important.

Well, I saw Impalas and Challengers over $100K...but both 365 GTC4's sold for right around $40K..and I think they made substantially fewer C4's (500) than Impalas(millions).

I guess one should never underestimate the tastes of the American car buying public....one just needs to look in your GM, Ford, Chrysler dealer for proof.

Overall though...it seemed like their were fewer cars.....but a good place to buy a Ferrari. THere was also a tasty little Renault ALpine A310 from the 60's, but I didn't see what it went for.

Ciao....Dino

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Well if it was during the woodies part I was laughing at Brock Yates John Holmes joke.It's funny listening to those guys give BS answers when they don't know the anything.

8. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob

It looked like it was painted with a brush. Wrong radio. Dash very faded.
    A 3+.

9. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just as an FYI....

There was a perfect '92 Yellow Alfa Spider Veloce that I fell in love with.....22k miles. Book on it was $12,500 for perfect condition.

On way home I was a telephone bidder up to $15,000. I have been told that it went for $27,000.

That is all you need to know.

Rob

www.bridgehamptonmotoringclub.com

The best collector car storage on the planet.

10. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    The 308 to 288 GTO spyder converson sold during a commercial break. When they came back live, one of the commentators mentioned it and said, "but this being a family show, we won't give our opinion on that car." I thought that was pretty funny. Anyone know what it went for?

11. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob

I think it went for around $40k or $50k. No one knew what to do it with it.

12. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King

It's about time Alfa Spiders got some respect! ;)

But what viewers will remember is just that a Camaro sold for four times as much.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    With all of the hot resto-rods doing so well at Barrett - Jackson (I watched it for hours), I now have the perfect crossover vehicle that should really appeal to the Hot Rod and Foreign collector crowd; I'll bet Alain or Brock never drove one of these babys!!

14. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    :D :D :D

15. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Renault ALpine A310 went for about $35k. I thought it was high, but that is a very rare car and I did like the color that blue was sharp.
    Erik

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Erik,
    I bid on that Renault Alpine, although I stopped at 26k. The challenge car went for 98.5, which was too much given the use, and history. The black 355 had a perfect dash and interior but it had cracking c pillars and went for 79k. Badly cracking c-pillars I might add. Some of the older Ferraris went for dcent prices. A well restored 365 GT went for 47k and the owner was pissed as the day before a near identical car went for 80. The best deal of the show, in my opinion, was a 1979 Porsche 930 Turbo - immaculate - that only went for 18,500 on Thursday!

Those muscle cars were going for crazy, crazy prices.

17. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That Renault Alpine should have gone for $25k or so. It's a beautiful old rally car, though.

18. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    What about that black/black 95 355B? The car looked pretty good to me from a TV viewers perspection, and from what I know, it sold for a fairly decent price ($72,500, I think.)

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

The car I was referring to was the only 355 berlinetta there, a 1995 black/tan car. The interior was pretty good other than wear on the bolsters but the c pillars had some major cracking. The auction record says it sold for 78,500.

20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The one problem with barrett-jackson for a buyer is there are usually two buyers that want one car. So, it just goes back and forth driving the price sky high like on the zeffer(sp). I thought we had the silver gullwing at $295k but then the announcer told us about the car again and the price then went up to $340K. Once the car starts going back and forth between two buyers you have to know when to back down. That is how you get yourself in trouble. The ring guys are of very little help(i know its there job). I liked it when they said if we brought amy over here would you go up the 10k. Don't lose this car for 10k. The fans clapping every time a car passess 100k doesn't help. It is so easy to get sucked in, and that is what happened with some of those muscle cars like the $70k GTO or the $180k hemi superbee ect.
    Erik

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The auction record has the commision included.
    Erik

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Or how about the $210k Chevy Belaire Coupe?

I watched what you describe happen a bunch of times. A 1966 Aston Martin DB6 (RHD, too!) went for 82k, when a near identical car was in Dupont Registry with an asking price of $68k. That car was realy a $60k car.

BTW, did you see the damaged Countach and hear that story? What a heart breaker.

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yeah thats a shame about the austin heely (sp) hitting the white lambo. Both those bumbers are F**k up. That guy who owns the austin had 2 others that went through the auction including the red one we picked up. That guy was a good guy and restores about 10 cars a year. Not perfect work, but def. above the majoristy.
    Erik
    P.S. I would rather have that sledgehammer(my fav vette of all time) then that hemi superbee.

24. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Anyone see what shape those four Calloway Vette's were in when the all sold to the same person?

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Well, all I can say is that who ever started the lambo in gear and didn't either push the clutch back down or hit the brakes before it went all the way across the aisle into the Healy was a @#$%ing moron. Shame about that Lambo, though. I love those cars.