agonising choice! | FerrariChat

agonising choice!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 355f, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    OK you petrolheads!! advice required please!!

I own a 99 355f1 one of the last produced 16K miles. Its a great car and I like the shape very much. However, im aware of potential huge bills for the f1 system (7K for pump, 3k for actuator) so im wondering if it might be an idea to change it to escape potential problems in the future.

Thing is what do I do??

Buy the VERY last LOW miles bertlinetta manual or a spider?? the only other option is to buy a manual 360, problem is that the shape does nothing for me at all; it may be a 'better' car in some respects but im not that convinced.

So do I buy a late 355 manual car and keep it?

Or buy a 360? the additional problem there being that there is a big supply of 360 out there and I think the prices are going to take a bath- which im obviously concerned about. Also dont think the 360 will be regarded as a classic in the same way a 355 is in the not to distant future. I rememebr when i bought my 355 3 years ago, a 99 360 was then 28K more than my 355- but now they almost trade for the same money!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Buy a Manual Spider.

Why get a car which shape doesnt do it for you ? Both are fast enough to have fun , so buy the one that makes you drool .

3. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I agree.

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hmm... so in order to save $10k, you're willing to spend $100k???? Interesting.. ;) Unless you know you can get a good price for your car, I'd just stick with it and perform the services when they come up. Someone who buys your car will probably realize that it will need an expensive service as well, and factor that into his offer. My guess is that you'll take a hit either way.

-R

5. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Perhaps I did not explain my self very well!!!!

I can buy a similar car but a manual transmission for about the same price to change as a faulty F1 gearbox pump- and in the future I think its fair to say the manual car would be the more reliable bet and worth more later on.
    The car is serviced properly!!

Its NOT a question of selnding $100K to save $10K thats just plain stupid! and its not about servicing either.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I would change the car, and I would go with a manual 355, berlinetta or spider. I just had to make the decision between a 355 and 360, and like you, the shape of the 355 appeals to me more and the driving experience is more what I wanted. Besides, a for the prices they're going for, I feel that the 355 is such a great buy.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If I were in your positioni, I would keep your car.

A different option would be to convert the F1 back into a manual by ripping off F1 parts and installing the manual shifter. Might even be less expensive than fixing an F1

8. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Interesting point we have the same discussions in the UK, the hydraulic units do tend to give problems more so with higher mileage cars and I'm surprised no-one has be able to service them, or does someone out there know of someone who has had the hydraulic unit or the actuator "serviced"

MW

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Different, yes, and effective, but only if he wants to keep the car forever. The 'frankenferrari' aspect will certainly turn off buyers in the future.

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Given you prefer the shape of the 355 over the 360, don't even consider going to 360.

You didn't say whether you prefer the F1 over the manual, and if so by how much.

If you love the F1, then don't worry about the possibility of maintenance (assuming you can afford to fix it, if it does break).
    If you'd be just as happy with the manual, then its a much harder choice.

One other option: If your car qualifies, maybe you can get the checks done and get the new extended warranties from Ferrari. That'll commit you to some of the cost, but eliminate the fear of those huge repairs.

HTH, Brian

11. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You never said anything about whether you liked your "F1". You only talked about the shape and the repair bills. If you like the F1, stick with it. If not, get rid of it.

12. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Yes I do really like the F1 box

Its just a pity that if it packs up you have HUGE bills and the units cannot be reparied or so it would seem???

13. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Thats the thing! I dont mind paying for repairs its just it seems you only have an option to buy a new pump at 7K or the actuator at 2.5K its very expensive!!

14. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Is a failing F1 pump/actuator something frequent, and if so when can I expect it to happen ?
    One would expect that the component has been designed to last at least 100'000km. The amounts seem ridiculously high too, even for a small qty manufacturer.
    Any educated comment on the pump/actuator topic from the knowldegeable guys ?

15. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well im not an expert but from what I can gather the folowing seems to be fairly accurate

the 355F1 is more reliable than the early 360 but the pumps can go anything from 10K miles up to 30K miles.

My dealer has replaced 6 units, so it is not an uncommon failure. One thing for sure they DO NOT last 100000kms I regret to say otherwise i would keep the car.

I did meet a knowledgable guy who ran a hydraulic pump business and he said realistically this part is worth no more than £1500 and yet Ferrari UK price is I think £7000.

This is whats made me think, I can change the car now before it packs up and the price to swop for a manual lower mils car will be less than the pump cost.

Its a great pity, I like the F1 and dont mind paying ferrari prices for parts but that is crazy!

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The actuator in my car leaked fluid and lock the car in reverse in a restaurant parking lot during the end leg of a long weekend trip. New F1 system was installed. My car had about 20,600 miles at the time. I'm now closing in on 24,000 miles and no f1 problems developing. I'm told it's not a regular occurance.

17. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    It's rather "good" subject to agonize!

I feel for 355f. It's not how much you spend that you are worried, rather how much you feel wasting on repair cost.

If you can afford to change the car for better suited to your taste, find another 355 that you will drool over. There are many 355 available for sale. While you are seeking, you still have 355 in your hand, so you can be cool at selecting for the next one.

Have fun hunting for the next 355!

BTW, other than F1 pump/actuator problem, are you totally satisfied with your current 355?

18. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    I'd keep it. If you love that car as much as you claim to, then there is no sense on trading the car in and spending $120K on another car just to avoid an annoying service problem. No car is perfect, and from what you are describing the problem is not so bad that the problem makes the car unbearable to own.

19. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I love my car! and would want nothing else!

20. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    ZE_shark .
    Like most pumps the pump is running all the time it takes alot of amperage to keep it going and generally it blows the fuse first there is a couple of spare fuses in the tool kits to get you going again in the event that this may happen.
    I would suggest that the clutch be bleed on services especially on cars that do not get driven often to eliminate the possibility of cavatation in the system and avoid the posibility of premature failure.
    The San Fransisco Dealer hasn,t sold one unit yet so to what frequency they expire?
    I would also look at the PIS {Point of Initial Slippage} on these cars that can be done during routine servicing and can prevent early clutch tear down and surprises address these points with your service advisors and talk to your lead tecnicians to get there feelings.Also make sure the clamps are tight on the bottom of the reserviors so there is no sepage.
    If you see any leak what so ever get the car looked at.
    Ask your sevice tech if any fluids were noticed on the cover when it is removed unfortunatly these can be overlooked.
    Wayne Hynes

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Given everything you've said, i'm wondering if the devil you know may be better than the one you don't. Granted, the F1 shifter may be more problematic and expensive over the long run, but buying any used Ferrari will mean money spent to get things right. (Take a look at another thread here about a fellow who bought a "garage queen" and spent a considerable amount of money fettling it). On balance, if you like the F1 shifter, why not keep it? Projecting the costs associated with a swap-out for another, unknown car ( i don't care how much you trust the seller or the car, **** happens once you buy it) against the costs associated with maintaining your F1, i don't see a clear direction, one way or the other. In addition, buying the manual simply because the car may be worth more in 5 or more years doesn't make a whole lotta sense, given all the other variables: mileage; condition; whether the car gets hit in the next several years (no bad karma intended), etc., ad naseum. I tend to go thru cars pretty frequently ( i even had a 99 355 GTS F1 for a little while), but nothing you've said convinces me that you need to make this move. On the other hand, most of my car moves have not been done for rational reasons, anyway, so if you need a change, disregard everything i said. (And, while i know berlinettas are the more serious car, i would get a spider; hell there aren't that many ferraris you can buy as topless cars and i wouldn't pass up that aspect of ownership since part of the joy of the car is not just driving like a bat out of hell, but motoring, italian style). Good luck and let us know what you do.