Q for Ferrari UK tech | FerrariChat

Q for Ferrari UK tech

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fatbillybob, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hi MW,

Two questions:

1) I know you try to keep cars stock but here is a question for you anyway. On a 348 with the exhaust ecus missing and the thermocouples disconnected how can the Motornic ECU's still flash an intermittent yellow slow down light randomly on either side?

On stock cars The slow downs are for too hot a cat temp and if they get too hot the red lights come in and power down the car. If this system is missing parts how can I still get warning lights?

2) Also, I would love to get rid of the Ferrari electrical gremlins. Since I race my car I need nothing except the main wiring harness and feedback to the front passenger footwell fuse box. As you know these are pretty bad too and the main wiring harnessess leave little to be desired. I have tried from Bosch in the past to get the main 55 pin motronic connector with no luck. Is there any way you know of to get me two motronic connectors with the wiring pins? Bosch sells the pins, connector shell, and pin holding block separately and I could never procure all the parts. My only other option is to gt the Ferrari wiring and go to an after market programable ECU but it is way too much work.

Thanks!

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    I will have to speak to our electricians and take their advise or your questions. Regarding the 55 pin connectors I will investigate.

Come back to you on Monday

MW

3. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    For the connector, try AMP, they manufacture it, and it's an AMP part number moulded into it. Good luck, I've tried before.

You can definately get the 55 pin connector by purchasing two break out boxes from you friendly neighborhood dealer (cha-ching $$) and cut it up.

I fear that as these cars age, installation of a new harness may become a neccessity some day. I feel your pain. When they were new (newer), I was 100% successful in curing all electrical gremlins in the Motronic. Me thinks regular maintenance, inspection and cleaning is required.

It'd probably be less expensive to R&R a new harness rather than build a new one. Figure 40 hours minimum to wire a new Motec.

As for warning lights, you mention yellow slow down. Isn't yellow the MIL and red the slow down?

Rob

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

http://www.tycoelectronics.com is the AMP MFG page

http://www.alliedelec.com is a distributor who doesn't have a bunch of minimum order rules to make you crazy. We order connectors from them all the time.

http://www.Grainger.com may have it too, and you can pick it up at one of their retail spots, usually a little pricier, but cheap by Ferrari price standards.

You will need the exact part #, but if it's an AMP connector, chances are they still make it and have it available.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    fatbillybob. perhaps the folks at PAINLESS WIRING could make exactly what you need ???? they are great but i dont know if they deal with fcars, but wiring is wiring so i dont see any problem. just a thought. michael

6. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the stuff I've seen from Painless is all Scotch-lock and crimp connectors, as opposed to waterproof Packard style connectors. Hmm??

Rob

7. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    OTC makes generic break out boxes, with the connector harness sold separately. They have 55 pin motronic.

8. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Sorry for the delay in replying, however I've just been talking to our electrical guru and he says that by removing the exhaust ecu's and disconnecting the thermocouples you are confusing the Motronic ECU's, because they need to be able to see the rise and fall in temperature and as there is no data reaching the Motronic ECU it will occasionally flash up the warning light.

We do stock the 55 way connectors and the pins - approx price $130 plus freight - just to make sure we are talking about the same thing I will post some pictures, but there will be a small delay as the scanner is being repaired.

Part numbers are :-
    1/4 bank connector 135373
    5/8 bank connector 135374
    Pins 135275

MW

9. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Pictures as promised

MW

10. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
  11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks MW,

Hold those part numbers. I'll be putting together a parts order to you for private e-mail.

12. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have not cats op my car. But I have installed the ecu sensors into the straight pipes. Never in three years have warning lights come on. I think having the snesors in the striaght pipes its fouls the ECU's.