what's the best ferrari to buy for new comer?? | FerrariChat

what's the best ferrari to buy for new comer??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chinaboy, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    Hi, everyone.
    I am a 33yrs old man from Hong Kong.
    Ferraris are always my dream cars and now I have the opportunity to buy my first Ferrari.

Which one will you prefer me to buy?
    I was thinking about 512TR because of its flat 12 engine.
    but the gasoline in Hong Kong is US$5.90 per gallon, so a trip to my cousin's house will be costing me US$80.

I am thinking more of a V8 now.
    what's best option for me?
    How's the 348GT or 348 spyder?
    or the older 328GTS (and Mondial QV) is a good car to begin with?

Please tell me the goods and bads, and what kind of services I must do to maintain the car

Thx

2. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Use the search button to narrow your choices. What do you want to spend? Convt or Coupe? Where are you going to maintain it.

3. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Chinaboy,

I have to give you major respect for thinking about driving a TR in HK, I cant even drive a manual here, let alone a car without power steering or a soft clutch. A 348 or 355 would IMO suit HK roads much better. A friend of mine drives a 360 and it was already damn close to hitting some parking lot ramps and entrances around town, any thing bigger wouldjust be a pain in your ass.

Good luck.

4. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Hi Chinaboy,

I lived in HK for more than 10 years so know a bit about that market.

So here are a few pointers for you.

The first thing you should do is go and see Mr Adamczyk
    (promounced- Adamcheck).
    He runs Italian motors in HK(the main dealer) He pretty much knows about every F.car in HK. And most of all he's honest which is very rare in the car market in HK. You don't have to commit yourself and you can still go and deal elsewhere. But you should defitatley make an apointment with him for a chat.
    I and alot of my mates have bought and sold a lot of cars through him in the past.

Second. Parts can be very difficult to get hold of or can take a very long time to get from Italy or you end up sourcing them yourself from the UK/US. So the older the model the tougher to live with.

Third. Check out the insurance market. This can be a very small market.
    with very high premiums. One written off F.car can often affect the whole Ferrari Insurance market. Again Italian motors is often the best place for Insurance as they have a vested interest in keeping the insurance market liquid and can often arrange good deals.

Forth. beware of back street or private or cheap deals.
    Good cars are rarely cheap. Never buy a car that's been in an accident.
    In most cases they would not be allowed back on the road in most countries.
    HK is a small place and most people will know these cars so you'll never be able to sell them again.

Fifth. If you find a good car from a reputable dealer get it checked out through Itlian Motors Before you commit yourself. Little money now to get it checked could seve you a fortune later.

There are a lot of good low mileage cars out there so take your time to look around. Be patient. the market can be very slow.
    It took me 4-3 months to find my last car in HK and in 2000 when the stock maket was free falling it took me six months to sell.
    These sort of timings are not in any way unusual for the F.Car market in HK.

My own thoughts on which car to go for I geuss depends on your budget but a 355 Manual is probably the easiest to drive in HK and most reliable.
    Whatch out for F1 cars they don't like the heat.

Just my 2 cents worth.

GOOD LUCK.
    HAPPY CAR HUNTING

Wazza

ps. I have no afilliation with Italian Motors or Mr Adamczyk.

5. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    Thx for the replies, guy!

Oh, this site is very popular. I can see the forum topics get many replies in very short time.

Yes, I will definitely contact Italian Motors for 2nd hand Ferraris, too.
    **I have been visiting few car dealers, and I also worry why these Ferraris did not return to the original Ferrari shop, too.
    (obviously, there are something wrong)

Testarossa has always been my dream car, and the 512TR is like a perfect version of the TR series.

Insurance is in fact not bad for Ferrari cars here.
    **only US$3000-4000 per year.

for 512TR, market price is US$65000
    for 348, market price is US$52000
    for 355, market price is US$85000

these 3 cars are within my reach.
    for 348 and 355, I will be most likely getting a spyder.
    and I only want regular gearbox, no F1 gearbox.
    color will be silver, with black leather interior.

Keep in touch

6. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Chinaboy> Aside from Italian Motors, here's another source for finding a variety of pre-owned Ferraris:

http://www.carcity.com.hk/

But like the others have said, it still pays to have Italian Motors check it out for you before you fork over the money. Good luck.

7. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
  8. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    oh, thx!!

so many people know Hong Kong here.
    I can't wait to buy a Ferrari.

by the way, I have heard that 348 requires more services, is this true?
    and 355 is a better car for daily drive than a 348? right?

how much is regular oil change service, engine tuning??

Thx

9. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Chinaboy> I think you'll get different prices from different sources. Obviously, taking your car to Italian Motors for servicing is the most logical route, but another option is to try HK Motoring on Wai Yip Street in Kwun Tong. They do a lot of work on Ferraris and Lamborghinis. The phone number is 2331 8233 (ask for Mr. Kam Sin, just call him "ah gum").

P.S. They won't open until the 8th (of the Chinese calendar).

10. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    Oh, I know HK Motoring.
    My office is just next street to the shop.
    I saw someone brought an ENZO and a new Lambo there for regular maintenance.

Thx for the link. I like that F355 BERLINETTA

11. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    That new Lambo, a yellow Gallardo, isn't there for servicing. It belongs to the owner of HK Motoring.

Going back to your original question though, I'd go with the F355, and silver does seem to be a nice colour.

12. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Taking a Ferrari on a brand new and empty Freeway through China
    followed by a track day at Zhuhai racetrack with thirty other
    Ferrrari's is about as much fun as you can have with an F.car anywhere in the world.

Here is a picture of my first HK Ferrari at a Zhuhai track day.
    I still miss her.

13. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Nice car. Was it hard selling your car(s) when you relocated to London?

14. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Go for the 348. Best bang for your buck.

15. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    It was quite difficult. Not because there was anything wrong with the car; there wasn't , it was in good shape.
    It just that the whole market sucked at the time.
    It took about six months to sell.
    But got a good price in the end.

Wazza

16. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    LOVE My 1994 348 Spider. Great engine, like the interior much better than a 355, in the mid-upper 60's depending on service & condition. Softtop is not electric/hydrolic but that's a benifit to me, service wise.

I know all the 'advantages' of a 355... but it looks like a rehash of the 348 to me. And there are so many 355s out there that its not really that exotic when there were 13,000 of them made.

As for fuel costs,the 348 gets 18-20miles per US gallon. But its the maintance that cost...best of luck.

17. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    It took 6 months? Were you still in HK by the time it finally sold? It may have been easier for you to simply transport the car to the UK instead.

18. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Yes. Ihad already left when it was sold.

HK F.cars are aleady more expensive that UK cars so no point in shipping back.

Wazza

19. chinaboy

chinaboy Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Jardine Lookout, HK
    Full Name:
    Eric Wong
    yeah, Hong Kong has
    (1)very high import tax for brand new and used cars.
    (2)very expensive tax on petrols...that's why it is US$5.90 per gallon.
    **but I don't think people care when they can affort big engine cars.

Thx for all the replies, I will really open my eyes on 348 or 355.
    **no, road condition of Hong Kong may not be suitable for flat 12 or V12 engine cars....(not to mention there are so many police roadblock along the highway, and speeding camera)

facts: do you know you can outrun the speeding camera in the 80's if you drive above 130mph...
    (my friends did it with a Porsche 928 then, and the policemen had to let him go because they failed to take a decent photo of the speeding car)

20. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Sometimes I swear I live in the wrong decade! ;)

21. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    Chinaboy> Well, since you work in the Kowloon Bay/Kwun Tong area, you'll be able to visit the new Italian Motors showroom on a daily basis. They're relocating their showroom from the old Kai Tak Airport to the new Skyline Tower in Kowloon Bay. Have you checked out their website yet?

http://www.italianmotors.com.hk/html/list.pl?tobj=./car_centre.html

22. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd go for the 355.

One of the nicest looking Ferraris of all time IMO, and much more modern, more powerful (375hp vs 300hp) and with better handling than the 348. Not to mention the sound! :)

23. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For the full Ferrari experience you must get a 12 cylinder car. If you get an 8 you will always wonder what it's like to have a 12. I've had 2 v8s and 4 12s over the last decade and would never go back to an 8 cylinder Ferrari.

24. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I agree, even if your streets are narrow and city busy, there must be somewhere in HK you can get away and actually drive the car, go for the 12, I did and I couldn’t be happier.

25. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Hey Chinaboy
    I would rather go for a 355 here in HK. I do have a 348 now, but I can tell it is a bit uncivilised to drive it in a city like HK. I bought this instead of 355 is simply b'cos I can't afford to pay the extra bucks.

In terms of styling, performance whatsoever, go for a 355. However, I still reckon my 348 is of great value to 355. Half the price, 80% of the performance and 80% of the look. 348 is a good value ferrari for a poor man like me.

Anyway, why it got to be Italian Motors for servicing? Yes, it can keep track the record for reselling purposes, but I can easily find another place to do the job as good as they do, if not better, with half the price.

See you guys on Sunday drive!!!