F2004 is released | FerrariChat

F2004 is released

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by beast, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is one of the initial pictures from the launch of the new F2004. It looks like the End of the Season F2003-GA but i can see a few small areas of change in the aero package from the limited # of pictures that i have seen so far.

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Here is a close up of the engine cowling and rear wing we can see that there is a spine to give side bite in yaw and on the rear wing at the end plate we can see that trailing edge has been cliped a bit to releive some drag created at the junction of the end plate and wing element. This is kinda similar to some of the winglets you see on comercial aircraft. It is a method to reduce vortex induced drag.

3. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I thought that I read that Ferrari was going to have some kind of radical nose...........did anyone else read this?

4. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
  5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not quite sure what to say, it certainly does not look revolutionary. If it were not Ferrari, where we know they're good at wind tunnel testing, but say Jaguar, I'd say they just didn't do much homework over the winter.

Somewhere in the back of my head I hear PSK saying something about fresh blood needed at the factory. Not just dusting off your last year's vehicle. Hmm.

6. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada

That was my understanding as well, ......think it will change by Australia ?

7. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I can't wait until MS, RB, and LB take her out for a spin!!!

8. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    I was under that impression too. Im kind of disapointed!...but, she still looks good, and I gues as long as she can perform its ok.

9. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  10. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It looks more like a worked over version of last year car.At least it's not ugly I guess.

11. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    apparently it isnt entirely finished as yet... on purpose or not, who can say....

porting Director Jean Todt had promised a 'surprising' new nose section but that failed to materialise, leaving rival teams still guessing as to what the final version F2004 will look like.

"In order to continue making steps forward, every area effecting aerodynamics has been further developed and many new components will be introduced during our test programme in February," said Byrne. "The car we'll race in Melbourne will look different in many areas to the one that you see here.

as per this report...

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S25/E6375/sport_Lng0_Spo25_Evt6375_Sto538493.shtml

i thought it looked a little close to last years too.. still some suprises for us i guess...

GT

12. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    Im just thrilled that it will be ready for Australia. Thats awesome.

13. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    My gut feeling about this is that if Renault have their new engine up to snuff, the season will have a Mclaren-Williams battle for the WC, with Renault and Ferrari fighting for whats left. Based upon the current testing times, even with the sandbagging that always goes on in testing, I think the new/old Ferrari just isn't going to go much faster than where the new Mclaren and Williams already are. The Mclaren and Williams can only go faster as the knowledge of the new designs increases.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll second that. Sadly.

15. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thats what i was thinking. I was kinda looking forwared to being "awed" by Ferrari though.

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #16 F1racer, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you can really see the difference between the F2003-GA and the F2004.
    Look at the rear wing...thats a big change..

Anyway the car looks good but I don't think they will dominate. (BS not good)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The rear wing had to change because the regulations no longer allow for a three element wing, but only a two element wing.

Also the 2004 car no longer has the "shark gills" as they were an emergency fix to get the temperatures down.

18. kescape

kescape Karting

Nov 11, 2003

The grill is gone :(

19. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #19 F1racer, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    The rear of the new car is TINY (visually, at least). And the entire front of the car, including sidepods, is new. The car looks a lot more compact.

21. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  22. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Wow, the car has not even been on the track yet and it seems like most of you have already written the 2004 season off. If you look carefully at the front wing, there are more than just one significant changes, maybe even more significant than the Williams. Notice that there are added elements underneath the front wing, it looks like they are there to channel the air under and around the car. The wing also appears to be more sculptured than the 2003, and the aero affects all over the car appear to be more fluid as well. Then again, I am not an AE. One other thing, just to remind everyone here, as we have all seen it in the past, the most radical design does not translate to winning a F1 WC title. Don't get me wrong here, I am not one of those fans that thinks Ferrari can do no wrong. I also agree that the 04' season is probably going to be a dog-fight to the end, believe me, I suffered through the terrible 80's and 90's every Sunday morning at the crack of dawn just like every one else. But I wouldn't write the season off just yet, at least not until Schumacher gets into the car. The team won us 5 manufacture titles and 4 driver titles in the role, I think they at least earn the benefit of the doubt. Would you agree?

23. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    If you take a close look you can see that the wheel base has been shorten a little. This may be in response to the balance issues that the F2003-GA had. Also we can see that the front wing second element is much larger in area than the 03 car.

The rear body work looks real similar to the F2002 around the transmission and suspension areas.

Could it be that Ferrari took the strong point of the F2002 and grafted them to the strong points of the F2003-GA together. I also thought i saw a few other items but i need to look at some more picture to determine if it has been changed or not.

To be contiued........

24. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I don't mind what it looks like as long as it is faster than the Mac and the Walrus and anything else for that matter. I read that the biggest problem with the 2003 was that the weight distribution was too biased towards the rear of the car, wonder what has been done to correct that

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That part I agree with. What irks me are a) the announcement, that the nose would be a surprise (well it is now, because it isn't...) and b) the thought, that this looks rather like a continuous improvement of last year's car. And last year's car was towards the end of the season getting under a lot of pressure.

Whereas the Mc Laren and Williams came up with radical designs and set some radical test times (as in new all time lap records). That's where my doubts come in: Can something evolutionary beat something revolutionary?

We'll see down under.